The last flight of United 93

Colin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

point noted but,

Gunpowder started to take the equation of hand to hand vicious warfare away. It was a slow change, were guns jammed, reloading took a minute or so with breechloading weapons. But slowly guns progressed to the point where hand to hand combat is nearly obsolete. Today its 30,000 feet high laser precision guided weapons that one pilot void of the actual battlefield presses a button. Or is shot from a guided destroyer 400 miles away watching the progression on live feedback updating constantly on gps and radio based system.

Guns changed how man frought and the tactics used. That is a fact. Armor and metal plates became obsolete after gunpowder.

I was only pointig out that political opinions on the war have NOTHING to do with people going about their lives and being murdered by the MOST evil people on the planet.

Now Bose employees are murdering people??? [;)]

I know it's a serious subject guys, but there are other forums for those types of discussions.

I was only pointig out that political opinions on the war have NOTHING to do with people going about their lives and being murdered by the MOST evil people on the planet.

Now Bose employees are murdering people??? [;)]

I know it's a serious subject guys, but there are other forums for those types of discussions.

LOL!

Is this evidence for your case that America invented terrorism? I fail to see a link.

David

Never said it did link it. I was clarifying the state of warfare today as opposed to the Romans chopping off heads. Both are gruesome, one is just hand to hand and today its more of a distance, today's warfare is distancing itself from the actual terrors......

I am stopping my posts on this thread.....

I have come to realize that all some people will do is bash and not correct me or try to rebuttle my statements with facts. I do not live in America to hate it for all it's worth, we have enough people outside America that already do. But I come to realize that blind ignorance is not right. We have too much androcentric ideology of America. Sometimes its best to look at a problem from the outside in. I want to just say that America is not the innocent child of the world. We have our share of mistakes and misfortunes. (This does not mean those innocent people on the airplanes or in the tower got what they deserved, and it really annoys me that some will just retoricize that to death) I personally think that we need to stop take 2 steps back and get the whole picture instead of blindly jumping into a slippery slope. I mean can you try and bargain with me guys? Its is becoming the norm to now not physically discipline your child anymore because many studies agree that children that were prone to discipline and abuse growing up tend to mimic the abuse when they are adults. Sometimes it takes the bigger person to negotiate his way out instead of fighting his way out. No this does not mean we should not defend ourselves from terroristic threats but maybe next time we should try to exhaust every other options first.... I mean do you want your kids growing up in a age where our country has the same problems as present day Israel with bus bombs? I certainly would not want my child/ren to live in a age where s/he is afraid to walk into a bus or a subway. America is the beacon of light and the leader of the world, lets show the world how to be civilized instead of blind hatred. (Yes this sounds like I am a hippie, I assure you if you ever met me in person I am a real person) I too get angry, fight, bleed when cut, get and give attitudes; I just would like to live in a world with higer morals and standards. Call me idealistic but I rather strive for an ideal world then a world that I dread to wake up in the morning.

I originally posted this under my own thread, but then Colin told me about this one...

WOW, what a movie! Many folks have said it's too early for a movie like this, but I disagree. Actually, there was a made-for-TV version, but this one really blows it away. I came away with a new appreciation for what those folks did to defy the terrorists. I'd like think that I would have acted the same way, given the situation. I hope I never have to find out. I don't want to ruin the movie for anyone who might want to see it, so I won't go into to too much detail.

This film was incredibly well made. It was shot in a minute-by-minute, "you are there" kind of way. You kind of get the feeling that you are in the room with the air traffic controllers. I mean, we all know how the story ends, but to see the events unfold from the perspective of those involved was very interesting. I agree with Colin that everyone involved, from the FAA to the military, seemed wholly unprepared. Who ever thought something like this could happen? I read that the script was based on the actual investigation, and it seemed to be very detailed. There are no "big name" actors or actresses, and I was surprised to see that many of the military and FAA personnel inlvolved played themselves in the movie. All the acting was top notch! The refreshing thing was that the director did not try to tell me what to think about the whole thing; he just laid it out for the audience.

My parents talk about how they remember exactly what they were doing when they heard that JFK had been shot, and 9-11 will be forever etched in our memories as well. In the end, I guess everyone will have to decide for themselves if they are ready to see this movie. Like Ebert and Roeper, I give it a big "two thumbs up!"

Dale

I am stopping my posts on this thread.....

I have come to realize that all some people will do is bash and not correct me or try to rebuttle my statements with facts. I do not live in America to hate it for all it's worth, we have enough people outside America that already do. But I come to realize that blind ignorance is not right. We have too much androcentric ideology of America. Sometimes its best to look at a problem from the outside in. I want to just say that America is not the innocent child of the world. We have our share of mistakes and misfortunes. (This does not mean those innocent people on the airplanes or in the tower got what they deserved, and it really annoys me that some will just retoricize that to death) I personally think that we need to stop take 2 steps back and get the whole picture instead of blindly jumping into a slippery slope. I mean can you try and bargain with me guys? Its is becoming the norm to now not physically discipline your child anymore because many studies agree that children that were prone to discipline and abuse growing up tend to mimic the abuse when they are adults. Sometimes it takes the bigger person to negotiate his way out instead of fighting his way out. No this does not mean we should not defend ourselves from terroristic threats but maybe next time we should try to exhaust every other options first.... I mean do you want your kids growing up in a age where our country has the same problems as present day Israel with bus bombs? I certainly would not want my child/ren to live in a age where s/he is afraid to walk into a bus or a subway. America is the beacon of light and the leader of the world, lets show the world how to be civilized instead of blind hatred. (Yes this sounds like I am a hippie, I assure you if you ever met me in person I am a real person) I too get angry, fight, bleed when cut, get and give attitudes; I just would like to live in a world with higer morals and standards. Call me idealistic but I rather strive for an ideal world then a world that I dread to wake up in the morning.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. You said America invented terrorism. That's what people are disagreeing with. Nobody cares about the other crap you said. Nobody agrees with you, and if your goal was to make people think you are smart, you failed.

I like how you say you are stopping your posts, and then type a 300 word essay. You are just like a little kid, you have to have the last word.

easy with the insulting language and provacations there Todd, even though you are from St. Paul, the foundation of all Mpls culture, I would not want your insightful comments to be the reason my thread about a very important and disturbing movie is locked down by "she who must be obeyed" (Admin Amy)!

[H]

No matter what your opinion on this is, isn't wonderful to live in a country where you can express your opinion without the fear of being killed because of it. People will disagree, some resort to name calling, but people ARE entitled to their opinions, without worrying about who likes it. I don't like country music, but everyone should listen to; "Where were you when the world stopped turning?" by Alan Jackson, give it a couple of listens, sums it all up nicely.

I would not post, but you sir have done nothing on this forum except bash, insult, make unqualified comments.

This is to toddvj, and if I were such a child I would name call and insult back which I have not. I like how insecure you are about yourself to criticize and comment on other people's beliefs.

• Moderators

Sorry, Colin.

I would suggest starting a new thread for people who actually want to talk about this movie. I tried twice to save it before shutting it down.

Does everyone now see why I don't allow politics on this forum? It always ends up just like this.