New RT-12d

Guest BobG

I get this all the time in wedding photography. At receptions, I'll use 1/8 or 1/15 a lot so the room doens't look like a 'black hole'. The flash freezes the dancing subjects and eliminates the camera shake- chandeliers and tiny points of light in the back can exhibit the tracings seen here.

Michael

heh michael remember take breath, in hold breath, snap shot, exhale [;)] heh love the hasselblad with 1/30 and 1/8 and 1/15 damn you must be taking diazapam to not have any shake!

Actually, I exhale slowly and deliberately, then become the ROCK, then SQUEEZE the trigger. I find that lungs full of air increase the heartbeat and can cause more shake. Try it the other way.

Remember, the flash freezes the subject, then the rest is what is is. On my bw candids I purposely introduce blur sometimes, rotate the camera around the lens, etc. 1/4 on dance floor sometimes.

However if I'm dragging the hassie shutter for background lights for say a portrait in a dimly lit church, I'm on the Gitzo tripod every time. Although I have been known to take the Hassie + 180 lens+Lindahl shade outdoors and handhold at 125 or so for fast moving modeling sessions- I look like a guy wielding a 50 caliber machine gun on those days!

Now back to our regular thread- what were we talking about?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually [:$] i do it better than i explained it. I to try to exhale and hold breath and take the picture. I just wrote it wrong.

why do you do the blur, that intrigues me at the moment, do you do flash sync at 1/60 or do the flash and shutter different?

180 zeiss lenses? do they make that many, no f ing way if you had 180 zeiss lenses you'd be a millionaire literally!

But I know it weighs a ton. Just becareful with your back

I use the exhale and hold trick when rifle shooting. Much easier and accurate than holding your breath.

Back on topic- so theoretically if you did stack say an RT-10d and an RT-12d (or just have them next to each other) you would get nice tight bass up higher from the 10 and more of the subsonic bass from the 12? This sounds like an ideal setup. You wouldn't be counting on one 12" to take care of everything- it kind of reminds me of the Velodyne DD-1812. Room correction would be a boon. Forgive my naivete.

I use the exhale and hold trick when rifle

shooting. Much easier and accurate than holding your breath.

Back on topic- so theoretically if you did stack say an RT-10d and an

RT-12d (or just have them next to each other) you would get nice tight

bass up higher from the 10 and more of the subsonic bass from the 12?

This sounds like an ideal setup. You wouldn't be counting on one 12" to

take care of everything- it kind of reminds me of the Velodyne DD-1812.

Room correction would be a boon. Forgive my naivete.

No.

Though it depends on your definition of "tight". What many people

describe as "tight" is merely lack of low frequency extension - in

which case adding the 12 will "muddy" up the sound. What other people

describe as "tight" is a system that doesn't introduce resonations into

the signal. In this case the 12 will be "tighter"

I posted this a while back in another thread...just a few reasons why not to use multiple subs:

post-10350-13819297875496_thumb.gif

Though it depends on your definition of "tight". What many people

describe as "tight" is merely lack of low frequency extension - in

which case adding the 12 will "muddy" up the sound. What other people

describe as "tight" is a system that doesn't introduce resonations into

the signal. In this case the 12 will be "tighter"

Lack of low freq.extension should not be described as tight,tight should be used to describe definition. Many subs lacking true deep bass are far from "tight" and exibit gross colorations.

take a Velodyne HGS18,it is both the very definition of tight and yet can reach very deep.

The RSW15 is also quite defined,minus the very deep subsonics.

Now lets take one of the best examples of the opposite of thight,and I name the Sony WM40.A piece of garbage that is so colored very boomy only begins to describe this horror.

In the Klipsch lineup of subs the RSW lineup is al tight and defined,the RW lineup a good deal less and the old KSW subs..well you get the picture.The newer THX subs are also very defined,defining with the RSW subs what tight is when you buy a Klipsch sub.

Using multiple subs when they have similar characteristics and are grouped in one spot is not ideal but you can get great results.

One more on the 'light flares' then I'll shutup.

Fanbrain- that's how I developed that shooting style- from a friend who shoots rifles.

Jay- dats okay on the description. And its the Zeiss 180mm lens, the longest F4 they make. I don't make the light squiggles on purpose, what I'm trying to do is open up the reception room shots by 'dragging the shutter' to a slow speed so some background light trickles in. Nothing like all the photos looking like they were taken in a dark cave. Your ref to flash sync is the FASTEST speed the flash can sync to shutter. I do use REAR CURTAIN sync, so any moving objects have the blur in back of them. It looks stupid if the blur is in front of them.

EAR- dats' ok man, glad to help. I know some guys have hounded you about pix for eons. Time you got your name cleared.

Michael

now back to boomwoof in johnyspeak like my THX they musical sounding and bang explode the house apart when necessary by the soundtrack

Looks like a groundbreaking product, especially to someone like who can't for the life of me figure out how to integrate a sub with my Klipschorns. I've been into this for almost 30 years, can pull off some really cool stuff with different drivers, horns, and networks -- but turn into a total dim-wit when I try to add a sub into the mix. I've gone through the sub thing three times in as many years, and had just recently decided to give up. Nice job Klipsch, you guys went from offering up some of the most mediocre subs on the market to best available in less than 5 years.

now back to boomwoof in johnyspeak

like my THX they musical sounding and bang explode the

house apart when necessary by the soundtrack

!!!

OK, that was the funniest thing I have read in a long time, I almost snorted my diet coke out my nose!

Still chuckling...

K

Looks like a groundbreaking product, especially to someone like who can't for the life of me figure out how to integrate a sub with my Klipschorns. I've been into this for almost 30 years, can pull off some really cool stuff with different drivers, horns, and networks -- but turn into a total dim-wit when I try to add a sub into the mix. I've gone through the sub thing three times in as many years, and had just recently decided to give up. Nice job Klipsch, you guys went from offering up some of the most mediocre subs on the market to best available in less than 5 years.

I would have to agree,before the RSW series,Klipsch did not have much of a sub woofer to be proud.Withe the RSW subs the revoluion started.And following and improving the THX subs and now these new soon to be release subs.Klipsch is a real force in the subwoofer world.

I would have to agree,before the RSW series,Klipsch did not have much of a sub woofer to be proud.Withe the RSW subs the revoluion started.And following and improving the THX subs and now these new soon to be release subs.Klipsch is a real force in the subwoofer world.

I'm proud to finally be a part of it. The KSW12 served well, but I never knew what I was missing until I heard Indy's THX subs. Then begain my quiet quest for bass.

Stumbled across a THX system for my own and now I'm in heaven, Tight, bottomy, fast, detailed, musical- you say it, THX has it. And I've gotten pretty lucky with my room setup overall. No correction necessary.

I tend to pretty much just set a speaker in place and it just works. Maybe it's these wood walls or something? Everything sounds great in here!

Michael

now back to boomwoof in johnyspeak

like my THX they musical sounding and bang explode the

house apart when necessary by the soundtrack

!!!

OK, that was the funniest thing I have read in a long time, I almost snorted my diet coke out my nose!

Still chuckling...

K

Thanks Bruce, I was kinda proud of that one. Kind of a cross between Johnyspeak and a badly translated Japanese owner's manual (we've all read those)

Michael

:)

Guest BobG

MC,

I know you're in the honeymoon phase with the new THX sub setup and I don't want to burst your bubble......oh what the heck I'll burst it.

I'm sure you've done a good job of setup, but until you hear what subs sound like with room correction, you haven't heard accurate bass. Rooms have very strong modal patterns in low bass frequencies. An experiment that's almost impossible to do is to take your subs outside and place them away from all objects other than the ground. Listen to the sound there, where there are no room modes and then listen to in-room; big difference.

Enjoy the honeymoon but when you're ready for the next revelation, have one of our team over for a demo of the RT subs correcting your current setup. First make room for one in your checkbook.

Bob,

This is getting exciting! I'm hoping we'll have the opportunity to hear these in Hope in a couple of weeks.

Will the RT-10d "match" with K-Horn L/R mains and LaScala center and surrounds? I'm more concerned with low-distortion, clean bass than high SPL.

I'm sure you've done a good job of setup, but until

you hear what subs sound like with room correction, you haven't heard

accurate bass. Rooms have very strong modal patterns in low bass

frequencies...

I agree... and eventually Klipsch will also offer a:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_4/velodyne-sms1-digital-drive-sub-manager-12-2005-part-1.html

also offered by Outlaw Audio.... or do it using a parametric EQ and ETA measurement.

Sorry...

ROb

One more on the 'light flares' then I'll shutup.

OT as well... but on the subject of flashes...

Would you know why compact digital camera flashes seem to light up

every dust particle in the air while my trusty 35mm SLR does not?

Very annoying when shooting construction (progress) images...

ROb

PS: I haven't tried digital SLRs yet...

diffused light versus the direct light. Due to the size of the compact digital camera's flash the beam has a highly directional beam (due to size) and good only till about 6 feet (reason why they say get around 6 feet) after that the flash is not that much in terms of lighting the room. I sorta snicker everytime I goto a sports game and see all the flashes go off in the crowd. Heh you really think that little flash is gonna light up a stadium? well back to my point. The slr camera has a flash significantly stronger that you can diffuses better and some of them actually focus with the lens. more diffusion = less likely the dust particles will show cause you need a really direct lightsource to illuminate the dust particles. If you have a maglite I can tell you how. Put the beam on wide and then focus the beam, in the room you will see the dust particles as you focus the beam.

oh I forgot you can do that method with your curtains. Make sure to close all the curtains and pull one curtain which is closed but raised a few inches to allow a beam of light. now look around and see all the dust particles shown by that beam of light. It works best in a dusty old house.