Colter finds BASS!

colterphoto1

Hey gang, I was chompin at the bit to release this news. I made two

massive jumps in Subwoofers in one weekend. Now my systems really kicks.

I'd been using a little KSW-12 for years with my CW's and now LS/CW

system. I'd always felt pretty good about it. I usually don't listen to

movies that loudly and switching the .1 LFE channel to go to both sub

and mains seemed to spread the THUD out across the front wall pretty

good.

I didn't realize what I was missing. Until this weekend.

I have a couple JBL cabinets, Theatre bins NOT PA, with single ported

18" driver. They are very similar to bins in the Klipsch pro line-up.

Size wise, like a CW on steroids. I'd recently obtained a used Crown

DC300IIA from this Forum.

Mated them together and omigod, what an incredible difference in sound output and depth of low frequency. Played a couple movies and then moved to some concert DVD's I have for test material. My fave is Yes Symphonic where Chris Squire uses bass pedal board for some great sustained low notes in the 16-32 Hz range.

The Crown JBL setup sounded great. I tok Doc's advice and plugged one, then two of the ports with dense foam to 'retune' the cabinet lower. At one point I was getting over 1/4" movement out of that massive 18" and the house was shaking. AT LAST, now here was some bass.

But wait, there's more (just like the ginsu knife guy). I got the opportunity from a Forum buddy to try out his THX sub system. So we dragged it over here, stacked up the bins on the front wall (only space left for now), and wired the whole thing up so we could hear the THX or the JBL.

The first time the THX subs kicked out those low pedal notes, I fell back in my recliner and almost felt sick at my stomach- there was that much air movement. We tried it again with me sitting up and with the stack-o-thx in front of me about 10' I literally felt my HAIR BLOW and there was a noticeable BREEZE at around 24 hz, when the port was supplied much of the volume. UNBEFRIGGINLIEVEABLE! I honestly thought that it was wind coming through an open door next to the system. It was the THX! Heaven man. They mate up so well to the LS too.

So the THX are staying, are paid for and I've got a couple JBL bins I guess I'll be selling.I think I'll put the Crown into use for the front two channels, thereby freeing the Yammies power for the center and surrounds.

WOW, I'm gonna go listening again right now!

Michael

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heheheheehe

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=743 <AMP

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=742

So, the THX Klipsch KA 1000 Amp and the KW 120's do the trick for you hugh?? (This, for the uninformed, is the "bottom end" to the amazing THX custom system Klipsch put together a year or two ago.) I also point out time and time again..... OMG if you ever wanted a "Heritage" sub syetm just cause it is not called that do not be swayed.. IT IS AMAZING with La Scalas, and I do mean AMAZING!!!

What I loved was seeing Michales face light up at how wonderful the subs worked into his system. These are not boom box type sounding subs, but musical, dynamic, solid, amazingly clear, powerful... ( OK can you tell I like these subs too?? hehehehe) They will actually MOVE your hair, (Colters hair is a little long he looked like the famous MAXELL ad on that poster.. LOL.) You WILL feel the powerful explosions, if that is what your looking for, but again get this.... it soulds real, not just a thud boom muffled boom box sound. This is even more important with music too.

Another convert. hehehehehehe

Thanks for chiming in Indy- and I'm glad you were here to see me grinning like a schoolboy! Yes I have to reiterate, this was the most MUSICAL subs I'd ever heard.

Again, my test was sythesized organ notes. On many systems it would just be an incomprehensible rumble or very peaky. As the various tones in the octave were played, the frequency shift could be easily discerned, the timbre of the instrument could be clearly heard in the phase shifts, modulation effects, etc. (as Chris plays the mighty Rickenbacker bass while stepping on the pedals). At no point did it sound 'thud' like, break up, or show signs of distortion. Incredible machines.

Definitely NOT the 'one-note wonders' as Doc call most sub boxes.

M

The KA 1000 sub amp is a THX Ultra 2 certified Sub Amp. As such, it works at the perfect level / selection/ compliments/ hooks up with/ sounds best 100% of the time with gear that is also THX Ultra 2 gear.

I will say this, the sub system LOVES the added voltage output of the THX/THX Ultra 2 boost. Michael has a wonderful Yamaha receiver that has this option, and we both were like OMG!! I wonder even in non THX Ultra 2 mode if it sends it at that same level, I bet it does... So in DD or DTS they also get the same output in mili amps as in Ultra 2 settings too. (IMO not 100% sure but sounded like it did to me!!)

I also have the same sub system Michael now has... I love my Sunfire Separates, but to compensate for this mis match of no THX Ultra 2 settings on my Sunfire in sending the sub signal, I had to turn down everything else and turn up the bass to get the proper "desired" effect. If you have the Ultra2 option on your pre amp or receiver, you will be blown away even more how just incredible this sub system is. Mine is not 100% as good as Michaels... but plenty enough for me.

I wanted to say this in case anyone else encounters this dilema.(If you find you do not have not enough output for the KA Amp to work with.) You can still use what you have with this sub system and have wonderful results if you do not have the Ultra/ Ultra2 Option. If you do have the THX Ultra 2 settings, stand back and be blown away!!! I am serious, your not gonna believe it!

BTW... Daymon.... Your Aragon Stage one is Ultra 2....HINT, HINT, this would work great for you too.

I think most authorised dealers will / can help you out.. (Some salesmen might want to point you someplace else, or might not even know they can order it... If it is an authorised dealer ask for the manager...) They do pop up on audiogon and ebay once in a while.. but ususally do not last long.

Why you would trade these in after hearing it on a properly designed system with the THX Ulta 2 settings would be beyond me?

I know of a dealer here if your interested and are having trouble locating one.

MSRP is $3500 for the amp and dual subs I believe. Quite expensive actually.

What is the frequency response for the set? Any usable response below 30Hz?

I would think a pair of the newer RT-12D's would be a step up them but they also sport a $2K MSRP.

I like the front firing- front port nature of these beasts and have long thought it time that the electronics be removed from the destruction mechanism (the shaking box).

Useable below 30 Hz! Charles, the note that blew my hair back (literally) was 24 Hz, which is the tuning frequency of the bin. I think there is a note close to 16 hz on that Yes DVD. It was amazing, it got so low that I didn't hear it with my ears any more, but felt my innards vibrating, seriously it was so incredible that I almost felt sick. We had it cranked to like -8 on my Yammie, so the peaks the amp put out were around 3000 watts.

Absolutely mind blowing- and if know me, you'll be assured that I know what it means to have ones' mind completely blown. And this did the trick.

Remember that I purchased mine used and with more than the normal amount of scarring, etc. So it was a deal that I could not pass up. At MSRP I would not have been able to afford this luxury as I am nearly destitute. That's why I dress like a bum.

M

Yep, the specs say 20hz-200Hz +/- 3db. I like the forward firing subwoofers as well since my Velodyne's are that way.

If I was to use Klipsch subs, this would be the setup, dual subs with the matching amp. Did you buy them new or did you get a deal on a used setup? Lucky you!

colterphoto1 wrote the following post at 05-08-2006 12:51 PM:

Remember that I purchased mine used and with more than the normal amount of scarring, etc. So it was a deal that I could not pass up. At MSRP I would not have been able to afford this luxury as I am nearly destitute. That's why I dress like a bum.

M
================================

Michael.. You are by no means destitute.. You like comfy clothes..and dress for your job I am sure most of the time in a tux! The fact is your as "tight as a ...." Well, lets just say a your very very frugal!!

For those that do not know, Michael he is a wonderful wedding photographer. Not just good, but incredible.. It is that artist inside him, that keeps him humble and strive for perfection in a non perfect world. As a photographer and chasing this audio Klipsch Speaker dream too.

One thing to mention here.. He is brutally honest as the day is long, (Indiana talk for a real person, no BS) not too easily impressed with others or in non scientific audio BS, and very knowledgeable on audio. He has been a great addition to this board, will do whatever it takes to help out friends.. Even willing to go to FL on long trips to bring home LSI's too hehehehehe. Not to mention offerring an older Honda in testing the strength of trees down past my driveway. (A la crash test dummy fashion.) Be happy, you got new car out of it. (And you will NEVER forget to put on the emergency brake again!! LOL)

I am very greatful to call him my friend.

awww, now I'm feeling all warm and gooshy inside. Indy is a buddy of the highest caliper, if he'd only remember to bring the 'cool guy' car over here once in a while[;)]

Who,

Here's the changes-

I took the .1 LFE channel out of the mains- sending to subs only (this incidentally, took the sub out of the normal 2ch listening mode, so I might put it back0

Left xover at 80, and use the 80 Hz on the THX box as well, so the Subs crossover at 24db/octave. The LS cuts in at the normal 12 db though, so the transition isn't as abrupt as one might think.

That's about it, I'm gonna play with placement, right now they are on slate hearth floor, back up against 4" limestone and sitting on the same pair of joists as my main seating postion- it's too much having them directly in front of me. I think back in the corner behind the Right LS would hide them and maybe get more boundary gain- whoa!

M

IDK what my problem is today with Reading Comprehension 101 (besides my hangover), nor do I know why I can never easily find the prices for these thx ultra 2 pieces (just systems).... but could someone give me an idea as to what this sub costs?

IDK what my problem is today with Reading Comprehension 101 (besides my hangover), nor do I know why I can never easily find the prices for these thx ultra 2 pieces (just systems).... but could someone give me an idea as to what this sub costs?

oh, great, now Meagain has to have one... copycat! jk