SVS 20-39CS(s) as speaker stands???

RobCurran

Hey folks. This might be crazy but I'm strongly considering buying these dual subs and placing my mains on top of them because of space constraints. As you can see below, I'm currently using some Heresey II as my mains, which are fairly heavy (about 40 pounds).

Any thoughts??? Could placing my speaker on these subs cause any damage to my speakers or the subs? Could the sound so how be effected?

Thanks

cwm1.gif

------------------

A/V AMP: Yamaha DSP-A1

DVD: Pioneer DV-606D

CDP: Denon DCM-370

MAIN: Klipsch Heresey II

CTR: Klipsch KSF-C5

REAR: Infinity SM-65

(crap)

SUB: Infinity BU-1 (crap)

I think the SVS is ported on top. There isn't anything really structural up there either.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

Well I think if you use tall ruber feet(3-4)in a circular pattern you could place the speakers on top.

The thing to remember is the speaker cannot sit on the grill.I to prevent this I would stick(4) rubber feet in a circle(edge...wall)on top of the SVS cabinet.This would clear the grill and enable the port to work.

I am sure the SVS tube like cabinet can take a small 40lbs.Even 200(at least)!

The runbber feet should be 3/4 inch high.This way the speaker rests on the feet and in no way touches the grill.

Hope this helps

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Ears, TOM V sort of agrees with ya. Here's his response to my email, "Well, if you wanted to try this I'd recommend removing the grille. And then making some type of standoffs that would keep the speakers about 2" above the top of the sub. As long as the speaker didn't *vibrate* off...it might work fine.

cwm40.gifI think I'll send this idea off to the US pattern office, LOL.

I'm talking cosmetics, but my Heresey sitting next to some 39" columns would like bad, IMO. I can't get pass the paradigm (no pun intended Smile.gif ) that MAINS should be taller than the SUBS. I've seen some personal HT homepages with the 39(s) next to some towers. The step up looked OK, but a little too crowded for me.

------------------

A/V AMP: Yamaha DSP-A1

DVD: Pioneer DV-606D

CDP: Denon DCM-370

MAIN: Klipsch Heresey II

CTR: Klipsch KSF-C5

REAR: Infinity SM-65

(crap)

SUB: Infinity BU-1 (crap)

I agree the set on top on the subs method is not recomended.I would not use a sub as a stand.

Could be done,no doubt.

I use Atlantis Reference quad post stands and they are all lead filled!HEAVY AS HELL

Stability and freedom from any audible vibration are superb.

Ah get good stands if you can.And sand fill them(lead is HEAVY,very heavy).

TheEAR(s) Now theears