The Altec 511B horn...

chops

After much researching and thinking, I think I want to venture into trying a pair of 511B's with my Cornwalls.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my Pyle Pro horns. They're definately better sounding that the CW's K-600, but since they are somewhat acoustically the same as the K-400/401, I can only imagine there's still room for improvement going to the 511B.

From what I have read so far, all I would need it a pair of those Selenium adapters from PE, drill two new holes in the flange part of it to bolt directly to the 511B, screw in the K-55V and go. My network is already set at 400Hz which should be alright since the 511B is good down to around 300Hz or so.

I guess my main question is, is there anyone here who has a couple of the Altec horns that they are wanting to part with? All I need are the horns themselves.

And if anyone has any comments or suggestions on setup, feel free to pitch in. [;)]

Thanks,

Charles T

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chops, drop this guy a line and ask him how many he still has. When I was in the market I bought two from him. He said he had a bunch. Very nice guy to deal with. Honest, quick to ship, fair price based on what I had seen. He told me to pass on his info to anyone interested. I bought them back in March.

opackiaudio**NoSPam**@peoplepc.com

Remove the obvious to get the message to him. I think his name is Tim. Shipping was pretty cheap too for such big metal things.

Good Luck, Rich

Chops, drop this guy a line and ask him how many he still has. When I was in the market I bought two from him. He said he had a bunch. Very nice guy to deal with. Honest, quick to ship, fair price based on what I had seen. He told me to pass on his info to anyone interested. I bought them back in March.

opackiaudio**NoSPam**@peoplepc.com

Remove the obvious to get the message to him. I think his name is Tim. Shipping was pretty cheap too for such big metal things.

Good Luck, Rich

Rich, thanks for the heads-up! I just shot him an email. Hopefully he still has a few left. I asked for two, possibly three depending on how much they are.

Hey, maybe I can my mits on a few of those cool green ones! [:P]

Thanks,

Charles

You should drop by my house to hear what they sound like on my La Scala's. If he doesn't have any I'll let you borrow mine to see if you like them with your CW's... if you do you can then find a pair for yourself, and if not you just return mine and you are no worse off.

Mike

You should drop by my house to hear what they sound like on my La Scala's. If he doesn't have any I'll let you borrow mine to see if you like them with your CW's... if you do you can then find a pair for yourself, and if not you just return mine and you are no worse off.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the offer! I'd still like to stop by sometime just to hear your system anyway. I'm still upset that my bro and I didn't make it last time. We were really looking forward to it. Oh well, maybe next time, huh. [;)]

I just got an email from Tim and he in fact does have several left. I'm waiting for him to send me a quote for 3 of them shipped. If the price is right, I just might have some 511Bs singing in my system before too long. [<:o)]

OK, cool. The good thing is you can generally turn 'em over for what you paid depending on price. I bought mine 4 yrs ago for $125 locally.

And we'll have another get-together before too long. I'm working on upgrading the TT and maybe we'll have that in place before you drop by.

Mike

Chops,

What are you planning to do with those Pyle's if you score the 511's? If you want to unload them, I'm interested..

Thanks.

Dan

Well hi there Dan! It's about time you post on here. LOL [;)]

Tell you what, you'll be on the top of the list for the Pyle horns if I decide to keep the 511s, that is if I can get them.

OK, cool. The good thing is you can generally turn 'em over for what you paid depending on price. I bought mine 4 yrs ago for $125 locally.

And we'll have another get-together before too long. I'm working on upgrading the TT and maybe we'll have that in place before you drop by.

Mike

Sounds good Mike. So what TT are you planning on upgrading to, or is it "hush-hush" for now? [:-*]

Mike

You're right, that does sound like a killer setup. Aren't the only Denon carts you can find these days NOS only, or are they still being made?

Dan,

So nobody has these Pyle horns right now? Hmm, I guess that's a good thing in a way, but also a bad thing for some, or some kind of thing. LOL [:P]

The 511's (or the 811's depending on the intended xover) will sound awesome in center channels as well as front or rear cabs due to their wide dispersion pattern.

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I find the 511B horns to have excellent

midrange presence, fantastic imaging and a very open forward

soundstage. I pulled the drivers out of my Altec A7's and put them in

these custom DIY cabinets that also add a JBL 077 slot tweeter for

added high end. I'm still tuning the bass port lengths (dual ports) and

when thats done, I'm veneering these in a combination of sapele ribbon

on the sides and sapele pommele on the face and top.

customhorns.jpg

Yes, that entire rig is simply stunning indeed! [:o]

Speaking of stunning, I have some "stunning" news...

I have not two, but THREE Altec 511B horns on their way to me as well as three of those Selenium adapters. Fun times are just around the corner! [<:o)]

Yep... the 511B's sound pretty darn good with the K55-M driver and some ALK networks. Yes indeedy...

Mike

Mike,

So you're still running with the K-55 then? What crossover point are you using? What did they do to the sound for you over the K-400?

Charles

I have not two, but THREE Altec 511B horns on their way to me as well as three of those Selenium adapters. Fun times are just around the corner! [<:o)]

Glad to hear my contact worked out for you. He was a nice guy and easy to deal with.

I have been working like a dog lately 14+ hour days for a month now, lots of weekends. So my 511b project lost steam. Keep me posted on yours. All I have is the horns. Since I installed my BobC tweets in my khorns I have my old K77 tweets just hanging around. I think I will build a replacement top section for my khorns with the 511s and try all the tweeter configurations I can.

What would be really nice is to come up with a 2nd set of midrange drivers. Then I could quite easily and quickly swap between my standard top section and my 511/BobC set for comparison sake.