Cornwall IIIs up and running

trioid

Hi Charles

Didn't get a pic of the magnet wire, which only goes to the biwired upper end (nice feature, that). I suspect some folks will be concerned that I use different wire for the lows and highs; that at the cross over frequency it will not work out. If that is true, I sure can't notice it. But a-b tests are not getting done now. I got the wire from Antique Electronics Supply. 22 Ga. Seems like good stuff. Also tried the 3$ Radio Shack variety and it works too. Maybe not as well..... I will keep in mind that you are using magnet wire for interconnects. What gauge do you use?

Cheers

jim

- The wife loves the sound. Put in some Sarah Mclaughlin (sp?) and that took care of that. Just wants new furniture to get the room arranged right. That works for me!

She's a smart shrewd lady . Not only is she going to enjoy the Cornwalls sound , she gets a new living room to boot . "Who's zooming who" [;)]

Now you should try replacing the Cornwalls with KHorns and see if she notices . Congrats on your speakers ! Gotta love that new speaker smell !

Beautiful, could we get a close up photo of the wood grain at say, a corner, with the pie slice logo?

My bet would be that you toe them in another 1.5 inches or so. Just a guess. I really like to keep the horns off the side walls. Depends a bit on how far back you sit.

Where's Woodog when you need him?

Michael

Hi Charles

Didn't get a pic of the magnet wire, which only goes to the biwired upper end (nice feature, that). I suspect some folks will be concerned that I use different wire for the lows and highs; that at the cross over frequency it will not work out. If that is true, I sure can't notice it. But a-b tests are not getting done now. I got the wire from Antique Electronics Supply. 22 Ga. Seems like good stuff. Also tried the 3$ Radio Shack variety and it works too. Maybe not as well..... I will keep in mind that you are using magnet wire for interconnects. What gauge do you use?

Cheers

jim

Jim,

The ICs I'm using were made by a gentleman that used to sell his products on Audiogon, but I haven't seen him on there for over a year now. I believe the wire he used is also 22awg. Naturally, about a month after I bought these, he started terminating them with those blue and red "bullet" RCAs which I'd rather have. Oh well.

Here's a few older pics of them. Like I said, I still use them today and don't plan on changing them out anytime soon.

DSCN1905.jpg

DSCN1906.jpg

DSCN1902.jpg

Michael:

Well, for now this is the best I can do for a close up of the wood grain, which is beautiful. Musta had too much coffee that day - 5 Mpixels of jitter.

I appreciate your comment on placement. I will try that again, and increase the toe in. Problem right now is that the listening area is behind the pictured area, and the focus is fairly deep into the room. Maybe because of the curtains and half wall, there is no noticeable reflection off the wall. Sound is good and sharp and coherent. Getting the 1:1.2 listening ration (or whatever the golden ratio is) ain't happening here!

Please continue with any suggestions. I am new at this and appreciate it. I'd be happy to throw a party, but the drive might be a bit long for some of you. Mesa, AZ is not too centrally located. And, it is not the epicenter for audio, sad to say. Woodog's input would indeed also be appreciated!

post-22257-1381929799158_thumb.jpg

Wow, that's some beautiful wood, and completely different from the old CWO's of old. Looks like a black walnut to me, like the veneer BSbutton put on the Heresies I finished off. Very distinctive and good bookmatch on the veneer.

Congrats again and just keep experimenting. Since your room is narrow and you want them spread as wide as possible, some change in bass response could also be had by pulling them from the back wall a bit at a time.

Michael