Selenium D250-X Midrange Driver

BEC

Guys,

From what everybody is saying about that driver is that it might be ok when used with Bob's tweeter and a 4500 Hz crossover, but I can't see it as an "upgrade". The only reason I could see buying one is if you are building a Khorn "clone" and can't afford an Atlas PD-5, and that doesn't make much sense!

AL k.

"excellent report....it would also be intresting to get a report from someone who has AL's wooden trachorn"

About their experience running some of these Selenium drivers with Trachorns?

Might be difficult to find a guinea pig. Many Trachorn owners, myself included, are pretty pleased running Trachorns with stock K-55s and have no more desire to experiment with our squawkers. We are there.

That being said, the only change I would ever contemplate with Trachorns would be going to a set of JBLs.

Carl.

Guys,

From what everybody is saying about that driver is that it might be ok when used with Bob's tweeter and a 4500 Hz crossover, but I can't see it as an "upgrade". The only reason I could see buying one is if you are building a Khorn "clone" and can't afford an Atlas PD-5, and that doesn't make much sense!

AL k.

But, if one can save close to $200.00 on a pair of DIY speakers, that is not insignificant. That is usually a lot of what DIY is about in the first place. Just depends on what one has to give up to get that savings. Jury is still out on that for these drivers. Seems we get an extra 100 hz usable response on the low end compared to the PD-5VH and give up some on the top. Crossing from mid to tweet first order at 4500 may cure the give up on the top.

Bob Crites

About their experience running some of these Selenium drivers with Trachorns?

And if one were to venture into the realm of purchasing a new

compression driver it would be better to go the route of a 2" driver

instead of 1.4" - there is way more selection and in my opinion both room for better performance and more

bang for the buck...

I hear you......

so far some listening has occurred in a 401 horn and some specs have been collected....some value judgments on the spec's as well.

I think though I have to agree with Bob....while many folks have k-55's and some have moved to 2" drivers and back (I had 2" ACR drivers in the late 80's on 30" bi-radial wooden horns that sat on the top of ACR Eckhorn k-horn clones made of furniture grade mahogany plywood powered by a pair of bridged SAE 501 250 watt per channel amps), referring folks to hunt down used k-55-v push-pin or terminal types, k-55-ms, k-55-x's, speakerlab HD350's, Atlas PD-5VH's on ebay is a little more adventurous for some than referring them to partsexpress to pick up a pair of drivers at a third of the cost.

Issue of the listening test is to get away from the spec's and measurments and do the test drive.....I am sure many will be humored by the possiblity that a 37.50 driver might sound good and I am sure many would not want to ever acknowlegde that such a possbility could ever exists.

I think is great that folks are open-minded and are trying to develop informed options for others.

Tony,

I have been too busy on other stuff to play with these drivers in the last few days. I can see them working in some instances where you can cross over to a tweeter at 4500 hz or so and attenuate them a bit to match the tweeter. I don't think they are a "drop in" replacement for any Klispch speaker, but may be useful in a DIY situation.

If enough people are interested in trying these drivers, I can do a wholesale buy on a bunch to get the price even better.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, as a matter of fact, I ran some traces on it yesterday. As you can see from the trace, it does pretty good from about 300 hz to around 4 khz. The dip at 3 khz is not really there, some sort of cancellation going on there. It has about 3 db more output than a K-55 over most of the range.

Bob

post-9312-13819298419544_thumb.jpg

Here is a trace of the 3 types of K-55s tested also yesterday with exactly the same test setup as the D250X. Again the 3 khz dip is not really there. This shows the relative outputs of the 4 drivers with exactly the same voltage inputs and on the same K-400 horn.

Bob

post-9312-13819298420104_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Tony,

Yeah, I think they are about 3 dB higher than the K-55. Need to attenuate them about that much if you are using them in place of something about the sensitivity of the K-55.

I plan to build some Heresy size boxes sometime when I get time to do it and try these drivers in them.

By the way, Parts Express says now that they are discontinued. Don't know if Selenium quit making or PE just stopped stocking.

Bob