Suggestions for "musical" sub $1000-$1200?

RichardP

I have been looking for a musical and HT sub for a long time as well, and first it had to be a small sized subwoofer.

So I did listen to several subs........ Mj Acoustics, Velodyne, Rel, Klipsch RSW.

From all of these I liked the RSW12 best, fast reaction and real strong in the upper bass, it quite impressed me actually. Music it played wonderful, fast....acccurate and it was quite capable with HT. But for HT I found it missed the serious impact !

As I own the RF7 I was a bit scared that the RSW12 would not dramatically improve my situation. The RF7 are fast and powerful in the upper bass too and can kick hard. So why adding a sub that would do almost the same? Remind, the RF7 when connected to a powerful amp sure can make you feel the bass and sounds wonderful.

So in the end to match my RF7 perfectly I switched from a small subwoofer to almost a huge cabinet. I bought the SVS Plus 2 (12.3), never heard and SVS before but I must admit for me it sounds perfect. Works really well with the RF7 and in HT it will blow you out off your seat for sure..........

It sure is BIG but for me it works fine.

But never listen too much to people and find for yourself the best subwoofer.

Whether REL or Velodyne or whatever, it should make YOU feel happy.

( do not look at all the stuff on the ground and so on, what playing a bit with the SVS and my system )

Posted Image

Hi Jay,

Yeah it is really big, I put the sub now in the back ( left ) as it was the only place where I could put it. It is now corner loaded, I had my Acoustic Research W38 sub situated there before and it only boomed. The AR was a nasty sub and did not know when to shut up at all, so when I put the SVS there I was so scared it would boom too but amazingly it did not boom at all. Maybe that is the difference between an average subwoofer (AR) and a very good subwoofer (SVS) ?

To make the set complete I would have loved to have a Klipsch sub at home but in Europe the RSW15 ( Klipsch the World does not end in the U.S. Wake Up !!! ) is not available so the most powerful / active and moderate priced Klipsch sub for me was the RSW12 and that one just wasn't good enough for me, unfortunately.

Then I got the chance to get a demo PLUS2 with the new drivers in it and really as new, listened to it and fell in love. Ok it is big and quite ugly but for me it does all the things I need and at a price I can just afford. Plays wonderful with music and is really awesome with HT. While watching movies I am always smiling, it is so violent, goes so deep and loud ( sub set to 1/4 gain ) but on a nice controlled way.

Ok there are / should be many better subwoofers for music, I would prefer a Velodyne DD18 /1812 too but then I have to sell a kidney I think......In the price categorie the +2 is in my opnion the CHAMP.

The Sub I use is in my signature below, it is one earth shaking beast, it is great for music and movies, the bass is as tight "not boomy" and powerful as it can get, it has adjustments from 25hz,20hz, to 16hz, for the money nothing comes close to SVS.

Really[:D],You must have not tested other subs on the market,People that first buy these and never had many other subs to compare to, or owned seem to think they already have the best. When they hear a boom boom they think they have the best sub money can buy.[:)].......Musical ,If you like nice clean low end while playing lots of music.You can try subs from ACI which are made by Audio Concepts,Or even get into some of JM labs subs like the Utopia 2,Very nice tight/clean sub.

have you ever sat down and listened to a SVS PB2/+2 with music and movies, apparently you have not, please keep those smug comments to yourself next time, I did not say anything in my post about my sub beign the best in the world, I am sure there are many other better subs out there, but you have to pay an arm and a leg for them, for the money NOTHING comes close to SVS.

have you ever sat down and listened to a SVS PB2/+2 with music and movies, apparently you have not, please keep those smug comments to yourself next time, I did not say anything in my post about my sub beign the best in the world, I am sure there are many other better subs out there, but you have to pay an arm and a leg for them, for the money NOTHING comes close to SVS.

I was just helping out with a good musical sub to come up with.As for your mighty sub .Yes ,I have listened to it,SO dont say (apparently you have not ) And if it was so impressive i would have purchased one,or one for every corner of my 36x32 room,Have I listened to subwoofers?,Well Put it this way,out of all the manufactures that have subs,I try to travel and listen to them all when in stock,or simply take them home,Or they will just send one to me to try for a weekend, and then ask me later what i think,Hows that ! ,Now to date I have listened to, or owned every svs sub except the 4 -12" driver coffin.Now have you listened to the force,titan from aci as i first mentioned?.They are musical for a sub,If you can spend a little more you can go with a Maestro.You can always ask the Ear for a musical sub in the svs price range,I am sure he has listened to as many as i have.And when you say....for the money NOTHING comes close to SVS.That tells me you have listened to very few subs.Go try the Titan II LE and tell me something is coming close.

The Sub I use is in my signature below, it is one earth shaking beast, it is great for music and movies, the bass is as tight "not boomy" and powerful as it can get, it has adjustments from 25hz,20hz, to 16hz, for the money nothing comes close to SVS.

Really[:D],You must have not tested other subs on the market,People that first buy these and never had many other subs to compare to, or owned seem to think they already have the best. When they hear a boom boom they think they have the best sub money can buy.[:)].......Musical ,If you like nice clean low end while playing lots of music.You can try subs from ACI which are made by Audio Concepts,Or even get into some of JM labs subs like the Utopia 2,Very nice tight/clean sub.

Yes, Paul's comments are historically smug.

Paul, you didn't understand what he said. He said, "for the money." The Utopia subs are $6000+ pieces. And the ACI, while musical, are little mice in the SPL category. Also, it stands to reason that you definitely haven't heard an SVS sub if you call them boomy. Most people complain that they're too much the opposite of.

In any case, please either contribute productively and positively or go to the kiddie forums where that kind of attitude is accepted.

I believe he purchased the kw120s and amps from rmlowz

Yes, I did, but thanks anyway, posters. The KW/KA just fell into my lap at the right time. It was too good of a price and within pick up distance, so I could not pass it up, even though it was more $ than I initially considered. Hopefully this thread will still be informative for other forum users. I think going from your first "entry level" $400-600 sub to something about twice as much is probably a common step for many.

So..... What are you going to do with your lil ole Klipsch RW-12 ??????

I'm thinking that it would do a great job in my little listening room [:D]

If you still have it and would like mto see it go to a good home let me know what it will take.

Yes, Paul's comments are historically smug.

Paul, you didn't understand what he said. He said, "for the money." The Utopia subs are $6000+ pieces. And the ACI, while musical, are little mice in the SPL category. Also, it stands to reason that you definitely haven't heard an SVS sub if you call them boomy. Most people complain that they're too much the opposite of.

In any case, please either contribute productively and positively or go to the kiddie forums where that kind of attitude is accepted.

No never heard any subs CAS [:P] LOL,Many suppliers should know my name by now as went through hundreds.Not a few like your self from retail stores and online pushy business people.If you are pushing SVS subs so much,You simply are not aware of any other subs,And likely you are on your 4/5 subwoofer todate and think your svs is just amazing.Oh and the SVS are Big mice in the SPL category with Large Farting Ports.Farting ports equal distortion,And your sub is so loud you can not here it any way, I didnt say Boomy I said Boom Boom,Can I say thump thump..Also I searched for the kiddie forums but unable to find them CAS,You must know where they are since you know about them,Can you guide me to the right direction.

You can try subs from ACI which are made by Audio Concepts,Or even get into some of JM labs subs like the Utopia 2,Very nice tight/clean sub.

This is what I meant CAS ,ACI musical sub (Lower cost) or if you have the money in other words you can buy Utopia.

Petrol, thanks for the interest. Actually, I have a friend who is the

beneficiary of my hand-me-downs. A couple of years ago I sold him my

old surrounds and center, KG 2.2s, found him a pair of KG 1.2s for

surrounds, and he added a Velodyne CHT-10 sub. He is now buying my

RW-12. If he had not been interested, I would have definitely offered

it here on the forums.

Cool. Actually, it sounds like most subs are junk to you so you'll find any reason to dislike them, even the untrue. Unless you mention them first.

If suppliers know you by name and you've demo'd all subs then you can give us the answers to the following questions hands down. We can etch them into the subwoofer bible and shut down this (and all) forums once and for all. After all, no opinion is needed if you have ultimate fact and truth.

SPL=

SQ=

Response=

Asthetics=

Value=

WAF=