SW help needed in New Orleans

matt L.

Hello all..need a little help after seaching this forum the last two weeks.

After losing all my Klipsch Refernce speakers of 5 years in Katrina last year I was recently able to pick up a pair of RB61's and a sub-10. YES!!!

( You can see my center speaker under the chair in the lower right corner in the attached picture of my old house. )

Currently using a Denon AVR-786 receiver and front speakers work fine.

Cannot seem to get the sub to work...????

I have verified connections, power is on, enabled SW on the receiver. Tried the on stereo, 5.1, dolby modes.

The Denon test mode sends tones to the front speakers (works fine) and the SW (no rumble like I used to hear on my previous Klipsch system). The sub does make the audible "thud" when I power it up.

What am I missing trying to solve this prooblem? I appreciate your expertise...

Matt

post-22328-13819298211982_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum. It's a shame that your first request for assistance was met with a sales pitch. Do you have a friend with a HT that you can impose upon. You can simply plug your sub into his sub out cable. No sound there means problems. Is it still under warranty? Did you buy it locally? Have you tried it with music or just DVD's?

getech...not interested

CECAA850- just moved into a new neighborhood in NOLA so unsure of what SW help neighbors could provide at this time.

Did buy them locally and recently so I could take them back if

necessary but would still like to trouble shoot.

Thanks for the reply so far...

Matt

Hey, it sounds like your sub is getting juice, just no signal?

When you played the test tone, you attempted to turn the tone up, correct?

Make sure that, if there is a place to choose the "size" of the

speakers (large or small), that you make sure the sub woofer is turned

on, and not shut off. Sometimes, folks will disable the LFE

channel in order that the low frequencies go the main speakers.

What a lot fo folks don't realize too, is that there are generally

separate size and tone controls in the DVD setup as well as in the

receiver/amp...So go through both setups to make sure that the sub is

turned on, AND that the test tone is turned up...

Sorry if this is elementary, or if you have already done this...both of the above issues bit me once, so I am passing it on.

K

Hey, it sounds like your sub is getting juice, just no signal?

When you played the test tone, you attempted to turn the tone up, correct?

Make sure that, if there is a place to choose the "size" of the speakers (large or small), that you make sure the sub woofer is turned on, and not shut off. Sometimes, folks will disable the LFE channel in order that the low frequencies go the main speakers. What a lot fo folks don't realize too, is that there are generally separate size and tone controls in the DVD setup as well as in the receiver/amp...So go through both setups to make sure that the sub is turned on, AND that the test tone is turned up...

Sorry if this is elementary, or if you have already done this...both of the above issues bit me once, so I am passing it on.

K

That's a good point on the DVD player, most people overlook the set-up control. I did too!

If you're having trouble with your SW, you should grind off the back flange and take some of the bounce out of the sole. This will help you on those tight lies around the green, which will lead to lower scores. You'll be the envy in your next foursome. Good luck.

BS

If you're having trouble with your SW, you should grind off the back flange and take some of the bounce out of the sole. This will help you on those tight lies around the green, which will lead to lower scores. You'll be the envy in your next foursome. Good luck.

BS

LOL!

BS

LOL!

Clarence,

Don't you live in Germantown, next to TPC Memphis? Zoysia fairways, Yum!

not mentioned....and maybe not applicable...but just in case..

you did not mention how the reciever and the sub woofer is being powered...where are they being plugged in at....I know you said you are getting juice...but read on.

some subwoofers react (lights, thump, etc) when plugged in, but don't actually turn on, till a signal is fed into them. the strange thing about this, is that how they are plugged in effects this.

on my jbl 400 watt active subwoofer, when I plug them in, two lights come on...intially they are read. when the sub gets a signal, the lights turn green...and you start to hear sound......well not the first time I connected everything.

the first time I connected everything...I had my amp and my sub woofer plugged into different outlet runs. one run used a the black side of the ac line...the other the red side....sub did not start to work until both amp and sub were on the same run...black or red.

also noticed if you use a line conditioner, or surgprotector, and plug into different banks there...sub won't work.