Very Interesting Ebay Auction...Vintage Marantz Tube Gear and MORE MORE MORE

Gilbert

This guy did a poor job in listing his gear. He permitts local pick so you can confirm the condition before you pick it up. The kicker is, he has NO RESERVE, CRAPY PICTURES, but appears to know what he has.....not much time left, just a few days....jump on it boys..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9730271120&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a $13,500 "Buy it Now" but that went away when the first bid was made.

If this is legit (and I doubt it), $13,500 was a STEAL.

I would only bid if this guy agreed to allow the stuff to be picked up in person.

The 9s are worth $12K alone.

Well. Gary's in MD. He would probably pick them up for someone if he has the time.

I will put in a loball bid.

I once owned a pair of 9s. I had to sell them to raise money to put a new transmission in my truck back in the early 80's. DUMB!

I sent an email to Gary Sunday night asking if he'd pick this stuff up for me if I won. I haven't heard back from him yet.

What bugs me the most if when idiots like this stack their so-called "valuable" equipment up like damn pyramid. Makes me wonder how careful they are with it.

I only want the 9's but then so does everybody else probably. Are those drivers and horns worth anything?

I really don't know, so don't laugh at me; Is that equipment REALLY worth $13,000. used?

$13,500 was an excellent price if these are really in "museum" condition.

I would have snapped up the lot in a heartbeat if this were verifiable.

But I get the feeling that these are NOT "museum" pieces--probably far from it. That is, if this is a legit auction in the first place . . .

I really don't know, so don't laugh at me; Is that equipment REALLY worth $13,000. used?

value is relative. 13k = 7 months working at WalMart, or an orthopedist's fee to testify over two days - whether she is called or not.

But tell you what, the 9bs will still be worth that a year from now, and probably more in 5 years. Every new piece of gear you buy today will lose at least 30 percent just for taking it home.

$13,500 was an excellent price if these are really in "museum" condition.

I would have snapped up the lot in a heartbeat if this were verifiable.

But I get the feeling that these are NOT "museum" pieces--probably far from it. That is, if this is a legit auction in the first place . . .

What's worth the money, the Marantz stuff can't be? The speakers, what are they something special? I'm looking for knowledge here guys, I really don't know.

Individually, if these pieces have only minor cosmetic flaws and operate close to spec, my guess of worth are:

Pair of 9 - $11,000

8B - $1600

7C - $2500

Tuner - $200

Turntable - $500

Drivers etc. - no idea?

He's got that wonderful broken english accent going that just scares the hell out me. I don't know how so many of these guys got their hands on vintage Marantz and McIntosh. Their idea of museum quality and my idea of museum quality are usually a long way off.

Their idea of museum quality and my idea of museum quality are usually a long way off.

Scott,

If you look carefully, the guy does not say they are "MUSEUM QUALITY" but "MUSEM QUALITY." "MUSEM" isn't even a word, so it means nothing as a descriptive term.

Similarly, he talks about using velvet and DENIUM between his equipment. Assuming he means "denim," that strikes me as a weird thing to use.

He mentions that there is flaking paint and it looks like he is most proud that there are no dents. Hard to know for sure without seeing the stuff in person, but from the photos and descriptions, some skepticism is warranted.

Just wierd enough a photo to be true...and I guess everyone has to make their first ebay sale BUT...I would keep away form this one unless he allows inspection before taking possesion AND escrow for the payment. otherwise I say "walk on by..."

tony

He says the 7C and 8b are VAC rebuilds, how does that affect the value? I live in MD and could help pick it up on the 29th, but not on the 30th since I go out of town the next day.

Maybe he means they are the "ReIssues" that were built by VAC for Marantz in the late 90's.

Parrot, you crack me up. Musem quality.

Well, it looks like he's posted some additional pic's of the 9's.

Also, from reading the questions posted from potential buyer inquiries, it appears as if his BIN price is still valid. So Allan, you may try contacting to him (or her) to find out more......

Hmmm this is the longest list of questions I have ever seen!!!

Q:

Is it okay if I send a friend of mine that lives in your area down to inspect the equipment. My friend is a Banker at Manhattan Chase Bank, and is also a fellow audiophile. He is strictly white collar, a professional, and not some kid off the street. Please let me know if you are okay with this.

May-23-06x.gif

x.gif

x.gif

A:

resummit this question tomorrow.....i have to talk to a second party tonight

x.gif

s.gif

s.gif

x.gif

x.gif

Q:

Hello-I have no money so I can't bid on your gear. But just a friendly note you might want to list it with better pictures and better descriptions. I believe you have over $4,000 plus worth of high end Marantz Hi-Fi gear. Or sell it on www.audiogon.com to fetch the best prices. Best wishes, Robert

May-23-06x.gif

x.gif

x.gif

A:

thanks for the info

x.gif

s.gif

s.gif

x.gif

x.gif

Q:

Hi, Will you allow local pick-up? Thanks, Barry

May-23-06x.gif

x.gif

x.gif

A:

no problem

x.gif

s.gif

s.gif

x.gif

x.gif

Q:

Hi, What is your buy it now price? Can you give me a quote of shipping to Hong Kong? Otherwise, I can arrange my own shipping and do you accept paypal for international buyer?

May-23-06x.gif

x.gif

x.gif

A:

buy it know is over 13,000 dollars

x.gif

s.gif

s.gif

x.gif

x.gif

Q:

As I'm sure you are aware, you're auctioning some very serious and sought after audiophile components. And it's obvious you know what they're worth, but you are shooting yourself in the foot because..... A.) Items of this caliber should always be listed separately. B.) You did not set a reserve, and will not get your min. BIN price, not the way this auction is setup. C.) The photo quality is crap, and insufficient in number. You need a min. of 4 good quality pic's for each component. I strongly recommend you cancel your auction and relist items separately. I know this is hurting my chances, but I really don't think your going to turn all this gear over to someone with a bid that is significantly less than $13,500. I will bid on this auction the way it currently stands, and will likely win. But my price will be far less than the $13,500 you want. Please tell me how you intend on handeling the matter if someone wins for significantly less than $13,500.

May-23-06x.gif

x.gif

x.gif

A:

thankyou much for your info but i do not what i'm doing

x.gif

s.gif

s.gif

x.gif

x.gif

Q:

Hi there, Can I buy the LE175(s) with the whole horn only? I live less than 10 miles from you and will pay cash. Please let me know. Thanks a lot!

May-22-06x.gif

x.gif

x.gif

A:

le175's are being sold as a package deal

x.gif

s.gif

s.gif

x.gif

x.gif

Q:

A couple of thoughts. You really should have better pictures and more detail as to condition for components of this quality. You say the buy it now price is $13000 but you don't have a Buy It Now option or a reserve to protect your investment. The ad looks very suspicous.

May-22-06x.gif

x.gif

x.gif

A:

those are people who have made offers on my equipment. my equipment is show room. the 9's are MUSEM QUALITY, i will post pics of my equipment later

x.gif

s.gif

s.gif

x.gif

x.gif

Q:

Hi! How do you grade your item? Do they work fine? If it so, I'll pay the buy it now price $13,500 for the items without shipping cost to Japan. Do you send them to Japan?

May-22-06x.gif

x.gif

x.gif

A:

My price for my equipment is over 13,000 dollars not 13,000 dollars, i will not pay for shipping.

x.gif

s.gif

s.gif

x.gif

x.gif

Q:

Do you sell Marant 9 or JBL Olympus only ?.Thanks.

May-22-06x.gif

x.gif

x.gif

A:

Sorry my JBL's s8r's are not for sale, only whats in the photo

x.gif

s.gif

s.gif

x.gif

x.gif

Q:

Hi, Wondering if you have more detailed and close-up photos of each component. It's hard to see at that distance. A collection such as this certainly deserves it. Thanks.

May-22-06x.gif

x.gif

x.gif

A:

I used a very poor camera take make these photographs, i will make high quality photos tonight

x.gif

s.gif

s.gif

x.gif

x.gif

Q:

Could you NOT stack these valuable components like they are some kind of children's building blocks? People become much less interested in the auction when they see carelss handling such as this. Thanks for you time.

May-22-06x.gif

x.gif

x.gif

A:

My equipment is in near perfect condition, the 9's are < MUSEUM QUALITY > the 8b has normal paint flaking, the 7c also is in excellent condition with no dents but paint flaking, i grade all of my equipment from 1 to 10 a 9, are pieces sperated with velvet and denium cloth

x.gif

s.gif

s.gif

x.gif

x.gif

Q:

Hi! Can you tell me the Marant C is the tube Pre-Amp? Thanks! Alan

May-21-06x.gif

x.gif

x.gif

A:

yes the marantz 7c, is a tube preamp

x.gif

s.gif

s.gif

x.gif

x.gif

Q:

how much is shipping to atlanta georgia thanks Frank

May-21-06x.gif

x.gif

x.gif

A:

making adustments to shipping calculator, so that it works correctly for zip codes

x.gif

s.gif

s.gif

x.gif

x.gif

Q:

Do you have a buy it now price for this lot?

May-21-06x.gif

x.gif

x.gif

A:

buy it now price is over 13,000 dollars

x.gif

s.gif

s.gif

x.gif

x.gif

Q:

hi, would you sell the set for $1,000.00 i could pick up on wednesday? let me know...

May-21-06x.gif

x.gif

x.gif

A:

That offer is to low for the value of this equipment.....Estimated value is over 13,000 dollars

x.gif

s.gif

s.gif

x.gif

x.gif

Q:

The shipping quote I got was $9.... There obviously is something wrong with the -shipping calculator-.... How much is total packing and shipping to 69137? Thanks

May-21-06x.gif

x.gif

x.gif

A:

Sorry about that, made some mistakes setting up this auction, i'm making adjustments at this moment

x.gif

s.gif

s.gif

x.gif

x.gif

Q:

I live in Washington Dc I could come and pick everything up. Save the shipping and packing. do you have a buy it now price? Robin

May-21-06x.gif

x.gif

x.gif

A:

hello sir, everything in this sale is over 13,000 dollars, no problem with pick up

x.gif

s.gif

s.gif

x.gif

x.gif

Q:

HI , I AM INTERESTED IN THE MARANTZ STEREO YOU ARE SELLING..HOW MUCH WILL YOU SELL IT NOW FOR...? LET ME KNOW...

May-21-06x.gif

x.gif

x.gif

A:

all equipment in this auction is over 13,000 dollars.

x.gif

s.gif

s.gif

x.gif

x.gif

Q:

Hi, Are the Marantz 9 amps both working as they should? Any flaws with them? For some reason, the shipping calculator gives me a quote of $7.61 to Chicago. That can't be right. Is this auction for real? Thanks, Tony

May-21-06x.gif

x.gif

x.gif

A:

I made err'ed with this add. One of the issues is with what you stated, I will have to make adustments, As for there authenticity, i have owned the model 9's now for 4 years, the 8b and 7c for 6 years, and yes this auction is for real, but be warned, i know the value of my stuff, i also have olympus s8r's with 075 tweeter's and JBL 375 drivers, the might go up later

x.gif

s.gif

s.gif

x.gif

x.gif

Q:

Can I pick up? Did you test units?

May-21-06x.gif

x.gif

x.gif

A:

VAC vacuum amplification company rebuild M8b, and and 7c, everything works, you can pickup