BLO'ed my speakers...again...

For all you Klipsch X Oiled speaker fans...I just BLO'ed my speakers...second time for most since they became mine and a pair of mint Quartets that are a beautiful sounding time capsule...to remind those of us and maybe tell some of you for the first time...Dr. Bill's (not me) reciepe':

*remember*

BLO heats up as it dries so any rags and whatnot should be thouroughly washed with water and soap and disposed of safely...preferrably outside...

the Drs. recipe' IIRC: 3 parts Gum Turpentine to 1 part BLO...I found mine at Home Depot but should be able to find anywhere...good luck but wanted to share...mmmmmmm, smells nice...

...Bill

...beautiful...!

Hey, Bill.

You hear lots of stories about BLO'ing speakers. I've got an unfinished pair in raw birch. I'd love to apply BLO, but I'm worried it won't turn out. The easy option is to apply some kind of varnish via spray etc. I've been scanning websites for ideas. How did you find BLO? Any pics you could post of your speakers?

Edwin.

Hey, Bill.

You hear lots of stories about BLO'ing speakers. I've got an unfinished pair in raw birch. I'd love to apply BLO, but I'm worried it won't turn out. The easy option is to apply some kind of varnish via spray etc. I've been scanning websites for ideas. How did you find BLO? Any pics you could post of your speakers?

Edwin.

...well our mutual buddy dodger would say...Watco dainish oil finish...I used Watcowith a dark Waln ut stain for my Klipschorns...they were already a darker Walnut finish...turned out very well...my Heresys are BR with a dark Walnut stain (someone else applied) and the BLO doesn't do too much for them...Bill

Unless you are worried about water, I would not put varnish on them. Yes it seals, but it is a PIA if you ever want/have to do any kind of repair. I have a pair of Altec model 14's that were just oiled. In their lifetime they had seen many parties (not mine) and had various cigarette burns and light water stains. It was very easy to sand down and refinish with BLO and now they look very nice.......enough that SWMBO said they can come back into the living room. Now had they been varnished, the sanding process would have been a heck of alot harder to do and I am not sure I would have tried. The nice thing about these older speakers is that the veneer is much thicker and you don't really have to worry about sanding through the veneer. Modern veneers are typically about 1/128 th, virtually paper thin.