Guilty

What surprises me is that Lay and Skilling seem to get along. If I was Lay, I'd be ticked as heck at Skilling - or at least ACT like it.

First, NOBODY leaves the "lucrative CEO of Enron" position during their first year - unless of course, you're Skilling and you know the corruption inside is going to surface.

So, Skilling says he's taking off, and Lay gets the call. "Skilling, you're WHAT????!!!!"

How could Lay believe Skilling was really foregoing a 2nd year of millions and millions just to spend personal time with his family? Well, that's what Lay says.

So, either Lay is lying, or if he's telling the truth, he ought to be mad as hell at Skilling for covering up the reasons in order to lure him back in. Had Lay not gone back to Enron, I'd bet 99-1, he would not have even been prosecuted - let alone found guilty.

Seeing how Lay and Skilling appear to get along and support each other, I have always been suspicious of this.

Supposing this hunch of mine is correct, you have to wonder: "Is Lay so greedy that he'd do something as stupid as go back?"

I just know if I was called to go back after such a short stint by my younger successor, I'd be wondering "How bad is it?" I darn sure wouldn't buy off on the "taking time for family" excuse.