Crown for POWER!!!...????

steamer

I'm sorry, but even if I had Bill Gates' money, it would be a cold day in h3ll before I'd waste $13.5k on a pair of amps.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they aren't good amps, because I know that they are. There's just simply no way I could justify a purchase like that.

Stop IFFING IF IF IF, when you have Bill Gates money you live in 40 plus million dollar home on your island and if you are an audiophile or like your hobby 13.5K is NOTHING.

Heck maybe I am sick but so far I am over 140K invested into this hobby of audio,yes $140000,$20000 into RC and $38000 into computers and related stuff.

Just because someone is rich like Bill Gates does not mean they go out and blow 10s and 100s of thousands of dollars on stereo, RC and computer equipment. And if they do, they must be trying to compensate for something.

And sorry, but after seeing all this stuff with "TheEAR" and "TheWOOFER" and TheWHOEVER going around on the forum, I take everything any of you say with a grain of salt. And if you really had $140k invested in your audio system, I seriously doubt you would have a stack of inferior Klipsch subwoofers sitting in your room.

And remember, I used to work in a ultra high-end audio shop a few years back. We had 2 dedicated 2-channel audio rooms. One of them had well over $350k of equipment in it while the other one had about $40k of equipment in it. Guess which system had the most votes for sounding the best... The $40k system by a long shot!

All that $40k system had was a Wadia CD transport, 2 Mark Levinson monoblocks, and a pair of Thiel loudspeakers.

People with money do not need to compensate for "something" like you say to buy better gear you can afford or are willing to pay for.

Your little evaluation is flawed. And if Klipsch subs are so inferior why dont you pack your bags with your rags and that $499 power amp you so proudly show and go to a Crown forum.

If you failed to notice this is a Klipsch Subwoofer forum.

$40000 system bests a $350000,noooooooooo.The wrong chamistry in the wo room,I am so amazed.I never knew this could happen. I started in audio last night please educate me.

People with money do not need to compensate for "something" like you say to buy better gear you can afford or are willing to pay for.

Your little evaluation is flawed. And if Klipsch subs are so inferior why dont you pack your bags with your rags and that $499 power amp you so proudly show and go to a Crown forum.

If you failed to notice this is a Klipsch Subwoofer forum.

$40000 system bests a $350000,noooooooooo.The wrong chamistry in the wo room,I am so amazed.I never knew this could happen. I started in audio last night please educate me.

Ahh... Did I touch a nerve? Is it too much for a split personality guy like you to understand?

And you're right, this IS a Klipsch Subwoofer forum. So why don't you STOP yacking about your Dynaudio tower speakers in the SUBWOOFER section, pack your bags and hit the road as well?!?!

And if you think it's impossible for a less expensive system to sound better than a more expensive one, then yes, you DO need to be educated.

Have a good evening TheWHO_SHOULD_I_BE_TODAY.

Even if the ear had $140k invested in his audio system,That would still be way under average,Gee there are $50,000 and $75,000 cd players out on the market to play with and thats just 1 unit for your system.And Chops even the best of Dynaudio tower speakers are little boys/girls toys compared to whats on the market for audio speakers !

Even if the ear had $140k invested in his audio system,That would still be way under average,Gee there are $50,000 and $75,000 cd players out on the market to play with and thats just 1 unit for your system.And Chops even the best of Dynaudio tower speakers are little boys/girls toys compared to whats on the market for audio speakers !

Oh I know. Trust me, you don't have to tell me.

I'd gladly take take speakers like Tannoy Westminster's, Westlake Audio Tower SM-1's, Legacy Audio Helix's, or Altec A7's over any of the Dynaudio lineup. Heck, I'd even take my modded Cornwalls over the Dyna's.

And I don't a $50k - $75k CD player. Just give me Wadia 270se with the matching 27ix Decoding Computer. [;)]

140k total of audio equipment does not impress me at all,If the Ear told me he had a pair of German physiks tiebreaks for speakers then i would know he has a good ear,I think they around $ 245000.00,And they sound very impressive when i heard them in europe,You can open up your pockets and put down 1 mil and more for a pair of speakers easily that i have seen and heard,but i wont get into that becuase we might drive some people here krazy[:P] lets get onto subwoofers.....

Gentleman, keep it civil. Enough with the personal attacks or the forum administrator will be getting an e-mail [:@]

As to the Bryston amps, value is always subjective. I sell the Crown amps, the Behringer amps and the Bryston amps. All three have their subjective values and within the price range, do some pretty nice things. A Crown XTi 1000 is one hell of an amp for $699, but unhook it and put a Bryston 4BSST next to it and there is no question which is the superior product in performance run full range. Does that mean I won't sell the Crown to somebody? Nope, I still think it is one heck of an amp and for somebody who doesn't have the budget or is unwilling to part with $3000 for an amp, I am more than happy to sell it to them. If they want a subwoofer only amp, I will probably recommend it to them because it offers even greater damping factor than the Bryston down deep. As a full range amp, it is not as good.

The Bryston 28BSST amps are not inexpensive by any means of the word, but for the performance they achieve, the build quality and the reliability, they are arguably a good deal. For your $13000, you get an amplifier that is arguably has as little effect on the sound going thru it (other than to make it much bigger) as any other amp on the market, will drive most any concievable load to volumes beyond what most people will ever need in the home or studio without changing sound, and will likely last you the rest of your life (unlike a vast majority of the ultra high priced high end gear that is inexcuably unreliable). For somebody with the means who is looking for the ultimate in full range performance and an end to the search for one amp that does everything well, they are a good deal. The only issue with them is that they are on backorder, having completely sold out the first production run and most of the second run. The good news is most people will not need this much horsepower and like all Bryston amps, they all have nearly identical levels of transparency...the only differences being the amount of power available to drive difficult loads. This means you can purchase a 3BSST or 4BSST, put it in your system, and with the exception of being able to go as loud or have control over the absolute deepest bass notes, the smaller amps will deliver every bit as much performance as the 28BSST.

By the way...for those who have owned Bryston in the past...if you haven't heard the SST series amps, Bryston finally nailed it. I've even had some pretty hardcore tubeophiles try them out and begrudgingly admit that they really liked what they heard.

Pork Chops,

Today I will be TheWOOFER,again to your delight. I see you changed your avatar to one featuring a $499 Crown you own,with a gorgeous plastic faceplate and real blue LED's!I am almost envious,almost.WOW a $499 amp but wow someone pinch me,please.

Since you find Klipsch RSW subs so inferior(and you had two low end Earthquake subbies,rippoff versions of Sunfire...but with a much reduced performance),YOU should find another forum,if you can read this is a KLIPSCH SUB FORUM.

I am not going to take any orders for a newbie like you mister.No matter what.

Matters not what you say or think my Dynaudo Contour speakers are two full quality steps above your boomboxes.Dynaudio is used in studios the world over,and Dynaudio's know how surpasses pretty much all the competition.

I do not spit on Klipsch,unlike you.I own many Klipsch speakers and recommend Klipsch to people.You,you say the RSW subs are INFERIOR! What do you own,so far from what I saw very little and nothing to write home about.I can find gear better than yours on the street,come garbage pickup day.

Now take your best shot Chopsy

No shots taken at other members,and nothing against Crown.As Duke said they make great amps and for the price GREAT amps. Just pulling the chain of Chopsy here.

Gentleman, keep it civil. Enough with the personal attacks or the forum administrator will be getting an e-mail [:@]

As to the Bryston amps, value is always subjective. I sell the Crown amps, the Behringer amps and the Bryston amps. All three have their subjective values and within the price range, do some pretty nice things. A Crown XTi 1000 is one hell of an amp for $699, but unhook it and put a Bryston 4BSST next to it and there is no question which is the superior product in performance run full range. Does that mean I won't sell the Crown to somebody? Nope, I still think it is one heck of an amp and for somebody who doesn't have the budget or is unwilling to part with $3000 for an amp, I am more than happy to sell it to them. If they want a subwoofer only amp, I will probably recommend it to them because it offers even greater damping factor than the Bryston down deep. As a full range amp, it is not as good.

The Bryston 28BSST amps are not inexpensive by any means of the word, but for the performance they achieve, the build quality and the reliability, they are arguably a good deal. For your $13000, you get an amplifier that is arguably has as little effect on the sound going thru it (other than to make it much bigger) as any other amp on the market, will drive most any concievable load to volumes beyond what most people will ever need in the home or studio without changing sound, and will likely last you the rest of your life (unlike a vast majority of the ultra high priced high end gear that is inexcuably unreliable). For somebody with the means who is looking for the ultimate in full range performance and an end to the search for one amp that does everything well, they are a good deal. The only issue with them is that they are on backorder, having completely sold out the first production run and most of the second run. The good news is most people will not need this much horsepower and like all Bryston amps, they all have nearly identical levels of transparency...the only differences being the amount of power available to drive difficult loads. This means you can purchase a 3BSST or 4BSST, put it in your system, and with the exception of being able to go as loud or have control over the absolute deepest bass notes, the smaller amps will deliver every bit as much performance as the 28BSST.

By the way...for those who have owned Bryston in the past...if you haven't heard the SST series amps, Bryston finally nailed it. I've even had some pretty hardcore tubeophiles try them out and begrudgingly admit that they really liked what they heard.

SoundBroker,

Some will never understand the need for a 13-$14000 pair of amps,these people do not have the speakers and room to take advantage of these products. What the Bryston 28B SST will be is true world beaters,besting most much more expensive power amps.

Trying to sell a $13000 pair of amps to a crowd that buys $500-1000 amps is like forcing a Ferrari to a Hyundai customer.Will not create more sales.

The customer who buys these powerful monoblocks owns larger and less efficient speakers that often present a more difficult load to the amp.

Oh yes and besides some say all those who spend so much on audio and amps must be compensating for something. [:o]

Pork Chops,

Today I will be TheWOOFER,again to your delight. I see you changed your avatar to one featuring a $499 Crown you own,with a gorgeous plastic faceplate and real blue LED's!I am almost envious,almost.WOW a $499 amp but wow someone pinch me,please.

Since you find Klipsch RSW subs so inferior(and you had two low end Earthquake subbies,rippoff versions of Sunfire...but with a much reduced performance),YOU should find another forum,if you can read this is a KLIPSCH SUB FORUM.

I am not going to take any orders for a newbie like you mister.No matter what.

Matters not what you say or think my Dynaudo Contour speakers are two full quality steps above your boomboxes.Dynaudio is used in studios the world over,and Dynaudio's know how surpasses pretty much all the competition.

I do not spit on Klipsch,unlike you.I own many Klipsch speakers and recommend Klipsch to people.You,you say the RSW subs are INFERIOR! What do you own,so far from what I saw very little and nothing to write home about.I can find gear better than yours on the street,come garbage pickup day.

Now take your best shot Chopsy

No shots taken at other members,and nothing against Crown.As Duke said they make great amps and for the price GREAT amps. Just pulling the chain of Chopsy here.

Yeah, you know a lot alright... [^o)]

1) So you like my new avatar? It's a pretty neat picture, isn't it! [:P] BTW, how do you get a "plastic faceplate" out of an all aluminum front panel on the Crown?!

2) I wasn't calling Klipsch subs "inferior" in general like you are referring to. I was saying that they would be considered "inferior" in a $140k stereo system. If you're going to invest $140k into a stereo, I'm sure the last sub you're going to think about buying is an RSW. The KW-120-THX would be a much better choice if anything.

Also, it's funny that before you were praising those "low end Earthquake subbies" more than I was. Now all of the sudden, they are "cheap knock-offs" with "much reduced performance". Granted, I don't think they're worth the MSRP, but for the $350 I paid for them, they did pretty darn good.

I bet you don't even know if you're coming or going, do you? Make up your mind, please.

3) Considering I joined up here over 2 years ago, I am by no means considered a newbie. BTW, who was giving orders?!?! [:^)]

4) Is that a fact about Dynaudio?!?! Funny all the studios I've seen use Westlake Audio, JBL, B&W, Wilson Audio, and a few new companies with self-powered monitors that I have not heard of, but I have never seen or heard of a studio using Dynaudio. Not that I've ever really researched it, mainly because I don't really care.

5) You don't spit on Klipsch?! Really?! Are you absolutely sure about that?! Excuse me if I'm wrong, but didn't you just call my KLIPSCH Cornwalls "boomboxes"?!?!?! Yeah, I'm sure Klipsch takes a whole lot of pride in you calling the Cornwalls boomboxes.

So how's that for a best shot? LOL

BTW, could you please stop calling my "Chopsy"? I'm starting to wonder if you are getting a little sweet towards me and that idea just disturbs me. [:$]

"and Dynaudio's know how surpasses pretty much all the competition"

And you came up with this conclusion how?!

I have not said one bad thing about Dynaudio at all. In fact, they make great equipment. Sure, the Contour speakers are nice, but they are NOT the best thing out there. It all depends on who's listening to them and what they prefer.

BTW, do you honestly think Dynaudio will keep the Contour in production for the next 50 years like my Klipsch "Boomboxes"? (as you so elequintly called them)

If you'd like, I could do a search on Map Quest for the nearest Palm View facility in your area. I'm always willing to help out a fellow forum member in need. [;)]

SoundBroker,

Some will never understand the need for a 13-$14000 pair of amps,these people do not have the speakers and room to take advantage of these products. What the Bryston 28B SST will be is true world beaters,besting most much more expensive power amps.

Trying to sell a $13000 pair of amps to a crowd that buys $500-1000 amps is like forcing a Ferrari to a Hyundai customer.Will not create more sales.

The customer who buys these powerful monoblocks owns larger and less efficient speakers that often present a more difficult load to the amp.

Oh yes and besides some say all those who spend so much on audio and amps must be compensating for something. [:o]

No, the person who buys a pair of $13,000 monoblocks is a person that's loaded and can afford it.

Nobody "needs" an amplifier of any size or price. Home audio is just a hobbie and/or passion for people/audiophiles. It is not a "need", it is a "WANT".

What people "NEED" is a roof over their heads, clothes on their backs, food on their table etc, etc, etc...

Got the picture?!

Chopette la Cacaouette,

Like the colors of the rainbow,you are not alone.

1) Excuse me I do not know a plastic facade from aluminum.

2)I never said I have a 140K in ONE system,just audio gear that is worth(cost) that much.Even if all of you here may say it blatant lie,does not change the fact I have it.

3)Orders,yes I just ordered a BigMac and large fries.

4)Dynaudio is used in studios,many studios,Wilson very seldom ,JBL very popular,B&W only in a few.Check the facts,not hoopla generated by B&W and Wilson.Dynaudio is mostly known for their drivers and studio monitors(nearfield,midfield and the large mains monitors)anyone contradicting this is a clown(anyone).

5)Oh my I called Corbreadwallz a bad name! Oh man,ust to jank the chain since you t a stab at my "INFERIOR" RSW's.

Dynaudio drivers are used by MANY of the world's best speaker designers and companies.

SoundBroker,

No, the person who buys a pair of $13,000 monoblocks is a person that's loaded and can afford it.

Nobody "needs" an amplifier of any size or price. Home audio is just a hobbie and/or passion for people/audiophiles. It is not a "need", it is a "WANT".

What people "NEED" is a roof over their heads, clothes on their backs, food on their table etc, etc, etc...

Got the picture?!

Chop Chop,

Yes I have a roof over my cranium...CHECK

Food on the table and in fridge...CHECK

Clothes on my back,well raggs more like it...CHECK

Two rooms full of audio...CHECK

$2.50 left in the bank to take the bus/metro/walk...or BMW for you folks...................CHECK

[:$]

SoundBroker,

I'm certainly not trying to push anybody to buy nothing but 28BSST's...I sell the $300 amps and love what they do for me. I'll probably have a stack of Behringer EP-2500's and a stack of Crown XTi amps in the demo theater to show what they can do. I'm totally comfortable recommending them. But when a customer says they have a larger budget and they really want the best sound...then the recommendation will change.

I'd guess the vast majority of the big Bryston amps will go to Studios with big budgets and big monitors to drive. Besides Klipsch, I sell the big PMC monitors (in use extensively in the pro world) and they like BIG horsepower. They were developed specifically with Bryston amps and the biggest monitors (the BB-5's are really pushing it with a pair of 7BSST monoblocks), so for a world class reference monitor in a world class studio, that is a totally appropriate product. As for private purchasers, my experience over the past 26 years shows that you might be surprised at what kind of people buy this kind of product. Many are not rich, but they save for things that make them satisfied and many are SERIOUS music lovers. Think about it this way...how many people need a $5,000 plus home theater system? Yet many many people here on this forum have spent at least that if not far more and are perfectly comfortable doing so because they believe it to be a good investment for their discretionary funds. The 28BSST is expensive, but it has capabilities that make it a lifetime investment for many people and a worthwhile tool for recording professionals. Heck, I certainly want the studios to have them...means better recordings and movie soundtracks for us all.