Crown for POWER!!!...????

steamer

I currently use a Bryston 4B pro for my 2 BagEnd 18's at 250 watts per side.I noticed this auction on ebay and have tried to get more info on this Crown Blue Ice amp.I searched the Crown site with no luck,anyone familiar with it?How does it compare to other Crown amps?

Thanks,

Greg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7418115499&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Where did you get the idea that this was a Crown product? It say Blue Ice by Technical Pro on the back label and on the front. I didn't see the Crown name or logo anywhere on the ad or amp.

I bet this thing is junk and is nowhere near the stated wattage, regardless of the pretty blue meters.

Michael

What kind of budget are you looking at for a subwoofer amp? The Bryston

isn't too shabby so if you're looking to upgrade you're

really going to need to step it up. Is 250 watts not enough? I would

think the bag-ends are the limiting factor (especially when running your overdamped configuration).

I currently use a Bryston 4B pro for my 2 BagEnd 18's at 250 watts per side.I noticed this auction on ebay and have tried to get more info on this Crown Blue Ice amp.I searched the Crown site with no luck,anyone familiar with it?How does it compare to other Crown amps?

Thanks,

Greg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7418115499&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

By how you've figured out the amp is a piece of dog crap. Please don't feel self-conscious, after all, the seller has 35,000 sales and the window opens up with 3 Crown amps with Buy It Now.

I don't think anyone was trying to sell it as a Crown amp. The actual thread was:

Listed in category:

Musical Instruments > Pro Audio > Power Amplifiers > Other Brands

So I don't think they were trying to fool anyone. LOL [;)]

Thanks,

Greg

By how you've figured out the amp is a piece of dog crap. Please don't feel self-conscious, after all, the seller has 35,000 sales and the window opens up with 3 Crown amps with Buy It Now.

I don't think anyone was trying to sell it as a Crown amp. The actual thread was:

Listed in category:

Musical Instruments > Pro Audio > Power Amplifiers > Other Brands

So I don't think they were trying to fool anyone. LOL [;)]

Bill,

I didnt think they were trying to fool me lol,just checking out Crowns and got LOST!!!!

After Michael pointed out the FACTS I realized my error,not the first and probably not the last.

Greg

What kind of budget are you looking at for a subwoofer amp? The Bryston isn't too shabby so if you're looking to upgrade you're really going to need to step it up. Is 250 watts not enough? I would think the bag-ends are the limiting factor (especially when running your overdamped configuration).

Mike,

I am very happy with the Bryston,like you said 250 is not always enough.It does well for 98% of my listening,but last night I just had to turn it up a little.Like what can my system do with the new Nickelback CD.With the BagEnds it was impressive but clipping indicators were flashing yellow(not RED...red bad!)The integrator was also starting to limit the output to protect the woofers.So I decided to look for some power.As you know the BagEnd system likes power...lotts of it.The guy I got this system from wanted to sell me two 4B's for $400 ea.I only bought one with the system.Its gone now.

I will probably just get another 4B pro on ebay and bridge them for mono ops w/750 per.The quality of this bass is very good,seems to match well with the bass sig.of the Scala bins(sealed encloser).As you know it takes much more power to reproduce a 20hz signal at the same levels as say a 80hz signal.So 250 is not quite enough at the levels I was at last night.Also I have moved the BagEnds out of the corners and have a stacked configuration with the Scala bins between them and the Altec 511b's.Lost some output and extension but the bass is cleaner.

Greg

How dare you call my Mark Levinson amps junk[:D]LOL,I still have two of these monsters in storage from a few years back.When it comes to pure power and quality there are better amps to use then just crown.Crown is good but far from the best.

How dare you call my Mark Levinson amps junk[:D]LOL,I still have two of these monsters in storage from a few years back.When it comes to pure power and quality there are better amps to use then just crown.Crown is good but far from the best.

Who called them 'junk?' They need to be strung up!!!!!! [:@]b

If Mark Levinson were an automobile, IMHO, it might be equated to a Ford Cobra Replica. Nice and expensive, fills a niche and is usually in storage.

Sound familiar? [;)]

Crown, on the other hand, is a Corvette. It's affordable, provided features and quality that are beyond products that sell for 2 or 3 times the price and it's seen regularly on the street. Even older Corvettes are sought after, restored and used regularly.

[:#] Hmmmmmmm.......

When it comes to pure power and quality there are better amps to use then just crown.

Ya, but they cost way more and aren't as indestructible...I like having the option to drive 1ohm loads [;)]

1Ohm loads,big deal my Krell does it and better than any Clown amp. Can your Clown double its output again and agian and again? NO You will say but who needs that...just a brag spec. [:P]

Clown amps,good for subwoofer duty and blast a ton systems.Sure Clown makes solid amps,solid state that is. [:P]

bah who uses 1 ohm loads other than car diy subs......

so what, the crown is a outstanding size for the ability. I know it has a fan an is actively cooled but soo what, I rather have active cooling, smaller space than trying to passively keep my krell that is huge btw. Also I believe when pushed most cannot sustain that as emphasized by the McIntosh at the time flagship amp that would shut off due to heating issues.

OK so what the Mark Levinson can step down to 1 ohm or the Krell, they need special non standard circuitry. They need I believe 220 volt 30 amps to obtain that 1 ohm status and cannot do it hooked up to the 120 volt 15 amps. This amp is 120 volt 15 amp socket, so excuse me for the crown not winning when it uses a inferior socket with less give. Also it doesn't weigh 600 pounds like the Reference #33 does, (half of the weight is due to heatsinks!)

oh and if you wanna debate, price to price, so you say krell or Mark Levinson, lets bring the i-Tech from crown in. The I-T8000 street price is around $6000 and you get:

Power Output

Stereo

Mono

8 Ohm

4 Ohm

2 Ohm

8 Ohm

4 Ohm

I-T8000

2100W

4000W

3500W

8000W

7000W

I-T6000

1500W

3000W

2500W

6000W

5000W

I-T4000

1250W

2000W

1800W

4000W

3600W

Guaranteed

minimum power output per channel, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, <0.35% true THD,

both channels driven. Rated power not part-tolerance dependent.

bah who uses 1 ohm loads other than car diy subs......

Ummm Pro Sound? (what the amps are built for). Put 4 speakers in parallel on the same amplifier channel and you can easily run into mininum impedance dips of 1ohm or lower.

Heck, you can fricken solder with the right crown amps by shorting their output [H]

Yes but thewoofer said the 1ohm like home theater is designed for it.... Ok Pro Sound but hardly anyone has the room for prosound in their own home.....

Saying my krell can do one ohms is all talk....

Not talk,specs.Valid specs,the Krell FPB series amps can and will drive 1Ohm loads with ease.

Yes but thewoofer said the 1ohm like home theater is designed for it.... Ok Pro Sound but hardly anyone has the room for prosound in their own home.....

Saying my krell can do one ohms is all talk....

Not talk,specs.Valid specs,the Krell FPB series amps can and will drive 1Ohm loads with ease.

All talk...... no Krell specs below 2 Ohms.