use caution - Identity theft warning

Guest " "

I see a lot of post that include links.

Some of these links take you to ebay item listings...and require a login.

Please use caution when using such links.....there is an identity theft potiential by login into a link in this manner....most folks do not know how to confirm they are at the intended web site.

If you log into one of the bogus sites that appear to be authentic....you just provided your user id and password...and if you use the same user id and password for paypal...you just gave away all the funds yor paypal account has access to.

best bet is to note the listing number...and navigate to it as you normally do.

If you get a login pop up as a result of a link...abort the process unless you can confirm the site you are at.

I have never heard of this before. Thanks for sharing this with us. I guess the crooks will find a way, no matter what.

And I thought I was just being paranoid when a login box showed up, instead of a listing. [;)]

I think using caution is good advice. It was the Marantz gear maniac. A one-time poster. See http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/2/737632/ShowThread.aspx

• Moderators

I couldn't find the link that prompts you to enter log in info in that post...can someone help me out? I definitely don't want it on this forum.

The Klipsch ebay store gets about 15 phishing emails a day. It's unbelievable.

There are several clues you can look for in the text of these fakes, but the big one is if it prompts you to enter your log in info when you hit reply....DO NOT RESPOND! I always log in at My eBay before I begin answering the emails.

thanks for the input...there iare a lot of fake 24 hour listings, free shipping, .99 starting bid, no reserve, with comments to contact via email and not ebay. no one ever responds to the email. if you place a bid....you get an html email in your mail box. if you follow the instructions on what appears to be a vaild ebay email....you wind up giving away your account info.

I couldn't find the link that prompts you to enter log in info in that post...can someone help me out? I definitely don't want it on this forum.

The Klipsch ebay store gets about 15 phishing emails a day. It's unbelievable.

There are several clues you can look for in the text of these fakes, but the big one is if it prompts you to enter your log in info when you hit reply....DO NOT RESPOND! I always log in at My eBay before I begin answering the emails.

From 739926 in reply to 737761

hello there,

my gear has been well taken care over the years, i use it quite offten with a pair of olympus s8r's, altec 805 tar's with 299 drivers, a pair 1505's, a pair 811's, a pair of altec duplex 604's, a pair of tannoy's 10", a pair of 311-90's, a pair of goodman's 15 duplex very large and very heavy and very rare, electro-voice woverine's, electro-voice fc100, electrovoice 12trxb, and electro-voice 15" subs very heavy speaker, i like open baffle speakers, i swap and experiment with these drivers and other speaker designs

memoriesartbooks

I think that one is a real eBay member feedback page. Don't think that one is a scam. Bob

I tend to agree with you. Although the URL looked legit, and although I had already looked at the item on eBay, I was directed to a login page. So.........

I decided to err on the side of caution. [;)]

I am still wondering about 'maniacaudio' and what they were trying to accomplish. Perhaps they only wanted to post the info, create a buzz, make contact with buyers, and scam eBay by NOT finishing the auction. There was something very fishy going on, but I wasn't able to figure out if the 'mark' was eBay or potential buyers.

Always check the actual URL of the web page before you enter information.

Never type your eBay User ID and password into a Web page that doesn't have 'ebay.com" immediately before the first forward slash (/). The same applies to other websites like PayPal and before you enter any sensitive data, be sure the web page URL begins with "https://"

This morning's New York Times has a big front-page, above-the-fold article on identity theft: Technology and Easy Credit Give Identity Thieves an Edge. It continues on a full inside page, unusual for the Times.

ID theft is an especially bad problem in Phoenix, where government web sites contain, for example, local divorce documents with parties' names, addresses, and bank account numbers. Thieves don't need to prowl trash bins with that kind of secret access to information. In Ariz., 1 in 6 adults had their identities stolen in the last 5 years, twice the national rate.

OTOH, Visa claims that ID fraud accounts for 7 cents per $100 in transactions, down from 18 cents. Banks and the credit industry routinely fight off attempts to tighten up the flow of information and easy credit, raising fears of restricting the economy. Seems very short-sighted to me!

Another thing to watch out for is the eBay "second chance offer". While most of these are legit, there are a few that are scams. Any time I receive one of these offers that I am interested in, I go to the original auction site and e-mail the person selling the item. Never respond directly to an e-mail offer and send funds or information. The same caution applies to the numerous e-mails I receive stating that my eBay account has been comprimised. They ask you to enter your account information to settle the dispute or your account will be suspended. I wish I had a nice little virus to send to these folks in response to their scams!

Craig

Another thing to watch out for is the eBay "second chance offer". While most of these are legit, there are a few that are scams. Any time I receive one of these offers that I am interested in, I go to the original auction site and e-mail the person selling the item. Never respond directly to an e-mail offer and send funds or information. The same caution applies to the numerous e-mails I receive stating that my eBay account has been comprimised. They ask you to enter your account information to settle the dispute or your account will be suspended. I wish I had a nice little virus to send to these folks in response to their scams!

Craig

Actually I recieved quite a bit of these second chance offers by random people, mostly from an @aol.com email address. I mean really, I bid on the klipschstore and if I do not see @klipsch.com or klipschstore@ebay.com I do not bother. I mean both are from Amy Unger anyways! But they say do not contact Ebay (big warning)

Speak of the Devil and he will appear! [6] As I was reading your last post I got pinged with an e-mail, supposedly from Paypal. It seems my account is being suspended due to fraudulent activity and I should log in through a link provided in the e-mail or my account will be suspended....oooooh, so frightening I almost logged in....NOT! These people just won't quit until they have your money!

I use a email program called eprompter and is free at emprompter.com. What is great about this program is it works with the major email systems and reads only the text and thus cannot get a virus like outlook express. Also you can weed spam out since most spam is foreign and they use a crappy english translator that makes the words crazy (kinda like google spell check on this forum) and also shows you the route email so you can go oh spam!

If you think it won't happen to you, THINK AGAIN.

I don't recall exactly where I read it, (either NY Times or Newsweek,) but 1 out of SIX people in Arizona have been victims of ID theft.

It's almost always meth. Since they're up for days, tweekers have plenty of time to go through your garbage. They may not be smart enough to use the info themselves, but they know enough to sell it for a hit.

I had to buy a shredder just to dispose of the daily credit card solicitations I receive.

Be careful.

James

(Edit: The article was in the Times as LarryC already pointed out above [:$])