Rare 1954 Corner Horn w/hand drawn network design by PWK

OMIGAWD, that's fabulous. I love the hand made network, the 10" Wharfdale rarity and treble horn. The grille clothed wings are unique looking also. For it's age, it's a very smart looking cabinet. These early designs, really almost prototypes are very exciting to see.

Hope this goes to a good home (museum?)

Michael

Wow. That is stunning, and that built in set up that it came out

of, with the truntable on the wall? How cool is that...what a

find.

That speaker really should be in the museum - Klipsch needs to step in here and snag that one...

K

Wow. That is stunning, and that built in set up that it came out of, with the truntable on the wall? How cool is that...what a find.

That speaker really should be in the museum - Klipsch needs to step in here and snag that one...

K

I agree! Amy - where are you? [:D]

Actually, the reserve on this is far less than what it's worth. Also, John is a first-class individual, and a real pleasure to talk to. You can tell immediately that he is passionate about all things audio and is very knowledgable as well.

Mike

Dean, BEC, and Al should check out this network- look at the spacing of the inductors and the fact that it's held together with ALLIGATOR CLIPS!

Michael,

Nothing unusual about the use of alligator clips.

Bob

post-9312-13819298438012_thumb.jpg

colterphoto1 wrote the following post at 05-31-2006 10:27 AM:

OMIGAWD, that's fabulous. I love the hand made network, the 10" Wharfdale rarity and treble horn. The grille clothed wings are unique looking also. For it's age, it's a very smart looking cabinet. These early designs, really almost prototypes are very exciting to see.

Hope this goes to a good home (museum?)

Michael

So parting this thing out and selling the individual pieces on eBay wouldn't be a good idea???[:^)]

Yeah Bob, for R&D fine, but can you believe that PWK would build it that way and let it out the door?

"The owner and builder of this speaker drove to the NYC Audio show in 1953 to discuss the design of this speaker system with Paul Klipsch himself."

I don't believe that this speaker was designed or built by Klipsch, based on this statement. It looks to me like it's an early clone. The crossover diagram could have been handed to the owner/builder with "try something like this". After all, the owner/builder simply met PWK at an audio show. There was no indication given that PWK ever saw or heard the speaker in question.

• Moderators

From our historian:

"Being a home-built speaker, it is obviously unique. There are many others out there just as 'unique'. The network drawings would be the most valuable part for Klipsch, but our holdings of PWK schematics and drawings are already extensive. This does not mean that the speaker does not hold value for someone (thats what eBay is all about), but if Klipsch acquired even a modest representation of home-builts, we would need a warehouse-size addition to the museum."<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Yeah Bob, for R&D fine, but can you believe that PWK would build it that way and let it out the door?

"The owner and builder of this speaker drove to the NYC Audio show in 1953 to discuss the design of this speaker system with Paul Klipsch himself."

I don't believe that this speaker was designed or built by Klipsch, based on this statement. It looks to me like it's an early clone. The crossover diagram could have been handed to the owner/builder with "try something like this". After all, the owner/builder simply met PWK at an audio show. There was no indication given that PWK ever saw or heard the speaker in question.

I understand, I guess I was reading Klipsch into it. It was indeed a home brew cabinet. Which begs the question- when did the first Khorn roll out the doors at Klipsch?

You all have it correct. PWK did NOT build this speaker (which is never mentioned in the eBay ad). What he did do was work out a crossover for this gentleman based on the drivers he wanted to use, and wrote it down on a piece of paper. And this guy kept the paper Paul drew the design on with all the other paper work for the speaker system.

Mike