Anybody have experience with a dual 701 turntable?

dp1954

Hello all.

Do any of you guys have any experience with the dual 701 turntable? I have been offered one and am looking for any experience/advice good or bad. I have been out of vinyl for about 20 years although I still have my record collection of about 500 records and just want to start enjoying them again. I also have a few items for sale that I will put in a different posting. I have a thorens td126 that I can't seem to get the speed adjusted on. Not a novice with this stuff, but don't know crap about a turntable. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

dave

Yup, that's my table until next week or shortly after when my spaceship arrives. Great table. Incredibly heavy motor, quite heavy platter, I think it's called idling drive or something like that. I think the best Dual table of their regular models (they have made reference models that hardly ever hit the market). The arm is ok, gets a little better if you disengage (disconnect) the autoreturn. A Shure V15III mates well with it. Tim.

I don't know the going price for a shure V15III now, but I think $500.- is high, but if the TT is in mint shape and taking into account the increasing collectability of it and the fact that it's a very cool looking table, hmm... It is very reliable with that washing machine engine (unbelieveable low rumble though). Another question is, what new stylus? Original, who put it on? Maybe someone else can jump in with more knowledge of the Shure. Tim.

BTW, I meant it that the arm is ok, but not great. After a few years I decided that my ever increasing lp collection is worth a little more. If you are really into vinyl and will continue to buy albums and have the resources, or will have it, willing to spend it, you could double or triple your money and have a great jump upwards. A jump that, in audio, usually costs more. Yeah, I know, money's never there when you want it. [;)]

I've been in the CD world for about 20 years or so but still have about 500 albums from my old days. I've heard the buzz about vinyl on the forum here and would like to use the albums that I currently have plus I"d be picking up more along the way. I have a thorens that I am currently offering on the forum, but can't get the speed to stay constant. Don't know enough about them and don't have the time to mess with it so its about to be gone. This 701 has been rebuilt by a guy that rebuilds/resells dual turntables. This is the one he says is the best of the lot(duals). Plus he guarantees the table and it has a solid walnut base which he says was fairly rare. Most of them I guess came with a vinyl covered type of material.

I have 721 CS that I bought new in 78, which has some motor problems, but I think it's in the same family (direct drive). It was a workhorse for a number of years but finally met it's maker. [:D]

However, since I just purchased a Thorens TD-124 I now have my other Dual up for sale (CS-5000). This was the last table they made and it's a beauty. It comes with a Shure V15V-MR cartridge (these are selling on eBay for $300 all by themself), extra belts, manuals, etc. I had a $425 BIN on it but somebody chose to bid instead.

If you are looking for a good table (I used it for 4 years) in great shape look no further.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=9735698671

Mike

That it's the best is correct. I only know this type in solid walnut case however. But as I said the budget you are willing to spend is the key. Maybe tell us the limit of your budget first. Remember that other members here have put together a great Thorens with SME 309 or 3012 arm (a dream table combo humiliating many modern expensive TT's), in some cases even the 124. for yes, quite a bit more, but the reward....

Ok, this is me after three happy years with it. This baby brought me back to vinyl and I love her for it. It plays great music. I just got bitten again by the upgrade bug. Tough choice, yours to make. I would say if you have more willing funds soon, then wait. If not then take it, unless a forummember has a nice offer, you will get the major part of your money back, maybe all, when selling. Tim.

I really like my Dual 701 in fact I have two of em. I'm sure there are better ones but I haven't heard any other TT that I would consider to be much of an upgrade over what I have now. The excellent Shure V15 III is a perfect mate - they originally came with that cart. $500 sounds a bit steep to me also but I haven't priced one lately. A nice unit that has been reconditioned by a good tech with an NOS cart? Maybe. It was a $400 TT in the early 1970s. Check the turntable forum at audiokarma.org site, there are a few Dual experts there.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

I want to thank you guys for your help and info. I thought about looking for a garrard 401 or a thorens 124 but have other hobbies and since I'm just now trying to get back into vinyl I decided to go ahead and bite the bullit on this one. I just paypaled the guy the funds and expect to have it here by next monday. I'm also into vintage cars, my wife is into horses and I only have so many funds to use. The 500 on this was pretty much my limit. I am gonna start taking an aspirin a day hopefully to fight any more upgrade fever I have for a while. I've been into audio most of my life, used to play in bands when I was younger. I got the Klipsch bug about 8 or 9 years ago and every year since then I"ve been in upgrade mode. I need to chill for awhile and get rid of some of the things I don't use. I checked some of the other sites where guys seemed to love the dual and 500 was a bit on the high side, but considering the condition it is SUPPOSED to be in they thought it was worth the 500 considered the rebuild/new cartridge/stylus. I just hope I did the right thing. Thanks.

Dave.

I'm sure you'll like it. I've tried some different popular tables (Linn, Thorens, Garrard, B&O, Systemdek, Technics) and the Dual 701 with the Shure v15 III cart is just right for me. The other fine TTs are more glamorous but the 701 just plays it's little heart out. I hope there are no shipping mishaps. Post your impressions when you get it. I have a pdf of the manual if you need one.

However, since I just purchased a Thorens TD-124 I now have my other Dual up for sale (CS-5000). This was the last table they made and it's a beauty. It comes with a Shure V15V-MR cartridge (these are selling on eBay for $300 all by themself), extra belts, manuals, etc. I had a $425 BIN on it but somebody chose to bid instead.

Mike, I have had a Dual 510 since late 70's also and am looking to upgrade. What made you decide to get a thorens to replace the Dual 5000? Why do you think it is so much better? I wish I still had all my StereoReview mags from back then! I am looking at something that also runs 78s. I have an old Lenco L70, but just getting a new idler will run me about $75.

Mike, I have had a Dual 510 since late 70's also and am looking to upgrade. What made you decide to get a thorens to replace the Dual 5000? Why do you think it is so much better? I wish I still had all my StereoReview mags from back then! I am looking at something that also runs 78s. I have an old Lenco L70, but just getting a new idler will run me about $75.

Well, I have been doing some reading on the idler wheel tables, and hear that if setup properly, and if they are quiet, they can destroy most modern higher-priced tables. This would include the L70, L75 and L78 Lenco's. I bought a TD-124 in immaculate condition with a huge custom made plinth. The table weighs almost 60 lbs! I also just bought a mint SME 3009 arm and a Denon DL-103 cartridge for it.

I am hoping this combination does it for me. I should have it all back together in a day or so, and then am waiting on my BBX to come back from Mark with the Cream option. It should arrive next Tuesday. I'll get pics posted soon, and will also post my impressions. If I find that the improvements are minimal, I will probably sell the whole lot and go back to the reliable, underappreciated Duals I have been using my whole adult life.

Mike

Sputnik.

I'll make sure to post a review once I get it here and set up. I'm really looking forward to it. When I rearranged my stuff over memorial day weekend I set it up so that I could play cd's on the corns thru an eico and I have my lascalas set up to run the dual with a scott 222C. Should be alot of fun. Thanks for the offer on the pdf file, but the seller just emailed me a copy.

Dave

Congrats Dave, you will be happy with it and you can suppress the upgrade virus a little longer. Make sure the seller takes the platter off and that he tightens the transport screws before packing. Yeah, I know "duh", but you never know. Looking forward to the review. Tim.

Well, I have been doing some reading on the idler wheel tables, and hear that if setup properly, and if they are quiet, they can destroy most modern higher-priced tables. This would include the L70, L75 and L78 Lenco's. I bought a TD-124 in immaculate condition with a huge custom made plinth. The table weighs almost 60 lbs! I also just bought a mint SME 3009 arm and a Denon DL-103 cartridge for it.

I am hoping this combination does it for me. I should have it all back together in a day or so, and then am waiting on my BBX to come back from Mark with the Cream option. It should arrive next Tuesday. I'll get pics posted soon, and will also post my impressions. If I find that the improvements are minimal, I will probably sell the whole lot and go back to the reliable, underappreciated Duals I have been using my whole adult life.

Mike

I recall all the reviews in the 70s about the new belt drive TT. I thought that they where much better in terms of rumble, wow and flutter etc. The belt added a level of insulation between the motor and platter. I do not understand what the advantage of an idler drive is today.

Thanks Timmi.

The seller buys these things on ebay and other places, then refurbishes, oils them etc. He apparently has sold dozens of them and packages his stuff very well. The cartridge will be packed separately along with the counterweights and the platter. He uses computer boxes and everything will be double boxed. If it doesn't make it here in one piece he'll replace it or refund my money. Guaranteed to work as stated or the same deal/ replace/ refund. I spoke with him a length over the phone and he really knows the dual tables. Its the only audio that he messes with. He owns a cabinet shop so who knows what I may end up with if this turns out well and we develop a relationship. I'd really like some custom walnut cabinets for my eico's. And one of my scotts has an after market cover, the other is original walnut. Aint' this stuff fun? Wife thinks I'm nuts but she's good about it and pretty much lets me do my own thing within reason. I own a 65 vette coupe that is my second love and she never complains about it. She's into horses and I can assure you that's not a cheap hobby either. But each to his own.

I recall all the reviews in the 70s about the new belt drive TT. I thought that they where much better in terms of rumble, wow and flutter etc. The belt added a level of insulation between the motor and platter. I do not understand what the advantage of an idler drive is today.

I think it's all about mass, and isolating the motor in a huge plinth. The idler wheels are dead nuts accurate on the speed, whereas the belt tables are always playing catch up.

You might want to read this thread when you have a few spare weeks of time on your hands:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1075644493&read&keyw&zzjean+nantais

It's the longest running thread in Agon history. I bought my Thorens off the guy that started that thread, and he probably converted 100 people over to the Lenco way of life.

Mike