Channel Folds

D-MAN

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't worry about it - there is no way to get through the final exit channel "bend" without bouncing off a channel wall anyway. I chose a "best case", as well as I could. The geometry won't permit any better and that's why I'm not concerned that you could have done anything with the outside reflectors inadvertantly which would have any detrimental effect on the response.

It's the final terminus "bend" that makes it track along with the Jubilee, anyway. That is the one single channel feature that they both have in common.

The REAL question is, do I change the plans to follow YOUR model exactly, or stay with mine? I think the differences are far too small to have any noticable effect. If I understand the differences correcly, all you did is adjust the path from what is shown above to a more axially-aligned one. Still going to bounce off the terminal channel bend anyway... see what I mean? Nothing we can do about it.

Well, that is IF we don't change the footprint. I'm happy with what we got.

Dana

Dana. Thanks.

I didn't ask the question in regards to my small variation. I am not worried about that anymore. I feel mine works fine. Not sure if my variation will become your standard or not.

I was just wondering in principle how you "angled" that reflector....and how long the horn is to the exit.

JC, I used mirrors and a flash light to calculate the desired angle on the full-size drawing.

The expanding channels of the horn (not including the length between the reflectors - no expansion there) is somewhere around 39 inches (if memory serves), measured center-of-channel. It is about 5" shorter than the Jubilee expanding channel length. I didn't include the non-expanding portions of either design in the measurements because it has no effect on the horn flare itself, its just a connector.

Dana

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all,

So much for having an original idea, I guess. I have been toying with the idea of a split folded horn for a (Bass guitar) speaker enclosure. My research led me to this forum. I glad it did, too. As, I thought I had an original plan in the making. I still might build the thing but I have a question for you. Here is what I have so far.

NewHouse

As you can see, I'm toying with the idea of adding a port to my enclosure but I can't find any calculators or other information that helps me determine whether or not it's possible to do so without phase conflicts.

Any suggestions?

--Bluz

DrWho: "Google Hornresp. It has a port calculator."

I have toyed around with Hornresp a little DrWho; but I couldn't tell if it would help in my design; given that the output of the horns would be in the immediate vicinity of the intake of the ports. The phasing would have to be exact for there to not be any cancellation.

Let's give posting the pic another try. I apologize if it doesn't work this time (I'm using Picasa by Google)

--Bluz

NewHouse.JPG

photo#5230151759148643890

Hornresp allows you to enter the off-set between the port and the mouth and gives the combined response.

A LaScala sized box with a B&C driver.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Throat is a bit larger, and so is the front cavity volume.

One box in 0.5Pi (corner), subtract 26dB for 2.83V/1M.

djk wrote the following post at Sun, Aug 3 2008 7:59 PM: "Hornresp allows you to enter the off-set between the port and the mouth and gives the combined response."

Thanks DJK. I will give Hornresp another try. I've been at it since you responded. I'm still in a learning curve with the whole thing but if you are sure the answers are there, I'm determined to find them. For as much time as I've speant planning, I could have already built the darn thing (both with and without ports) and let my ears decide the difference.