Finally got my cornwalls all hooked up.

m00n

First wanted to apologize for no pics. No reason to take any yet, I still have not veneered them. I just got everything hooked up, crossovers working and what not.

I like them. A little more layed back than my RF7s, the mid seems to be a little more smooth. The only thing that I would say about them that could be a negative is that the low bass is a little muddy compaired to the RF7s.

And dare I say... My RF7s with DeanG crossovers definitly can hold their own against them. Sure the corns have more bass, and almost too much bass. They do dig deeper/harder than the RF7s but at a cost.... Clarity.

Congrats,

The Cornwall was my dream speaker in highschool,then when I got out of the Navy in 85' they didnt make them anymore.Dont think ebay existed at the time to get used and no local.So I was stuck buying LaScala's and have been stuck ever since!!!Gotta have a sub though...lol,kind of the other extreme.

Hey enjoy and dream of all those MODS you can do to them!

Greg

Hey I got out in 85 too? Were you east coast or west coast? What was your rate? I was an IC man. Mark

Hello,

I was on the west coast stationed at Bremerton,Wa.I was a Boiler Tech. Second Class.

Greg

Small world. 4 years Navy, Boiler tech as well. USS Wisconsin #4 Fireroom.

Hey I got out in 85 too? Were you east coast or west coast? What was your rate? I was an IC man. Mark

Hello,

I was on the west coast stationed at Bremerton,Wa.I was a Boiler Tech. Second Class.

Greg

Small world. 4 years Navy, Boiler tech as well. USS Wisconsin #4 Fireroom.

Wisconson,was that in the Iowa class battleships?I know in that class you had the Iowa and Missouri not sure of the others.Thought the Wisconson was one?

I was on the USS Sacremento,a fast combat replenish ship .We could cruise at 30 knots with a ship on each side tied with 4 cables each sending weapons.fuel and groceries to them.We had 4 600 psi boilers and battleship turbines from some other battleship class that had been decommissioned.We could carry 16,000,000 gals of fuel and about 8 mill of JP5.The length of her was right at 800'.

Greg

from my childhood years I believe it went:

Iowa, New Jersey, Wisconsin, Missouri. I think it was the kentucky or illinois that was never made.

Oh and moon, you made me feel better about the rf-83 purchase when I was looking for cornwalls the whole time. If the RF-7 can hold its own I am sure the RF-83 can hold its own too.

Wisconson,was that in the Iowa class battleships?I know in that class you had the Iowa and Missouri not sure of the others.Thought the Wisconson was one?

I was on the USS Sacremento,a fast combat replenish ship .We could cruise at 30 knots with a ship on each side tied with 4 cables each sending weapons.fuel and groceries to them.We had 4 600 psi boilers and battleship turbines from some other battleship class that had been decommissioned.We could carry 16,000,000 gals of fuel and about 8 mill of JP5.The length of her was right at 800'.

Greg

Yep, Iowa class. M-Type boilers, 600 PSI 850 degree superheated steam. 4 fire rooms 2 boilers each.

from my childhood years I believe it went:

Iowa, New Jersey, Wisconsin, Missouri. I think it was the kentucky or illinois that was never made.

Oh and moon, you made me feel better about the rf-83 purchase when I was looking for cornwalls the whole time. If the RF-7 can hold its own I am sure the RF-83 can hold its own too.

Just googled it and the ships were:

Iowa

New Jersey

Missouri

Wisconson

the link

http://www.warships1.com/US/BB61stats/index.htm

Greg

http://www.battleship.org/'>

Congrats on the Corns Moon! I'm sure that there are some differences between them and RF7's. Those moderns lightweight metal stiff cones are bound to be a bit better at transient response. In time (and when you upgrade CW xovers) you might find that the CW mid to be much different than the 2-way RF's as well. I think there's room for all if you have enough home for them.

I am very interested in your comparisons, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone with this combination of speakers- you have two of the top line of each lineage. Have some fun with it. I hope you can keep them both and enjoy their uniqueness.

Michael

Congrats on the Corns Moon! I'm sure that there are some differences between them and RF7's. Those moderns lightweight metal stiff cones are bound to be a bit better at transient response. In time (and when you upgrade CW xovers) you might find that the CW mid to be much different than the 2-way RF's as well. I think there's room for all if you have enough home for them.

I am very interested in your comparisons, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone with this combination of speakers- you have two of the top line of each lineage. Have some fun with it. I hope you can keep them both and enjoy their uniqueness.

Michael

You mention upgrading the crossovers. This leads me to believe that there is a different crossover schematic than the ones I just built. I think the schematic I used may be the original one. Not positive but most likely.

And yes, I have room for both. My RF7s are in a dedicated theater room, the Corns are going to be put in the living room and replace my wifes old Sanyo speakers.

Something else that was going through my mind about the Corns... These particular boxes anyway... They don't seem to sound as solid as the RF7s. As if they would have a much more solid sound if they were made of MDF rather than plywood. I'm considering adding some bracing to them. My only concern with that however is eating up cabinet space inside the box. How will taking away (even though slight) cubic inches affect the sound of the speaker?

m00n,

Congrats. You used to have Belle's right? How do the CW's do with your memory of the Belle's?

Yes I did. The Cornwall II's tweeter is crispier and crunchier than the Belles, much like the RF7s. I like that.

The midrange on the Belle was creamier, however the Cornwalls is very nice as well. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon sounded beautyful when I listened to it on the corns.

The one very distinct difference between the Belle and the Cornwall is the bass. The Belle had a very shallow bass which was a definite factor when I decided to sell them. These cornwalls are definitly not missing any bass, however as I mentioned in my original post, the bass on these cornwalls are not as refined as I'm used to with the RF7s. So, I'm wondering if adding some bracing to them will help clean that up.

It could change some specs and the way it sound but then again

MDF also is heavier than plywood so that might be why. If you want to try an ugly but actual method to make the cornwall more solid, add a 50 pound sand bag or twoon top to weigh the cornwalls and evaluate it that way. Hear if it sounds better or not. If it does, then you might need to brace it.

Here are some common bracing techniques for CW's.

1. screw steel angle channel to back of motor board between woofer and squawker to stiffen motor board

2. install double thickness back panel OUTSIDE the normal panel so as to not affect interior volume greatly. Some build a second double thickness back and retain the original for possible sale.

3. follow the lead of the CWII and install a front to back 2x4 brace to help dampen vibrations of the rear panel. This does not eat up much cabinet volume so no other change is necessary.

Michael