Klipsch Heresy I's restored & optimized

shload

Just a guess on my part but I bet the guy would make a heck of a used car salesman.

Probably a beater pair that needed work and got some love. I would hate to think they were a nice looking pair with cane grills that got black-ized.

Price is fair but not great given typical Heresy pricing.

Unless you really like that look, I would hold out for a more "original" looking pair or find a 200-250 dollar pair of beaters and fix them up the way you like them.

I looked at the listing on Audiogon the other day. Thought it looked like a reasonable prospect.

If you can inspect them and save shipping with local pickup, I'd think that's a fair deal.

I'm curious about what crossover changes to which the seller refers....

they may or may not "improve" the sound, but should be readily

reversible if not to your satisfaction.

If you like black speakers and you like Heresys, these are a reasonable deal. I like my Heresys on the floor against the wall but it looks like you can change the taps on the autoformer to where they need to be for this arrangement. As for the damping, caulking and cross bracing.... doesn't hurt anything.

I guess I am skeptical.

The cabinets look nice, although there are some acoustic-consequences by having them elevated so far above the floor.

There are also some red flags. The crossovers have not been refreshed, but rather the caps have had the values "changed". This may or may not be for the better.

Putting dampening material inside the cabinet may or may not be good idea. This material functions to "change the size" of the cabinet (by changing the sound velocity, & not by "eliminating" standing waves as many folks assume). Again, this may or may not be a good idea.

The price is okay & refreshing the caps on the crossover is not that expensive. Overall, I am not sure this is a good value.

Good Luck,

-Tom

The guy quotes -2 dB down at 40 Hz....

Out of a cabinet that small, seriously this guy is either a car salesman or his RTA program does a very nice measurement of room modes rather than speaker output.

Wouldn't it be nice if a small cabinet like a Heresy has that sort of low frequency response. Our girlfriends would not be mad at us, the speakers would fit nicely in the corner, and a full bandwidth could be achived for a few hundred bucks.

If life were so simple....

-Tom

Quite a write up he has on those, they look good, but maybe you would like to see them in person first before you commit to buying them. If you go into more of the details, he states, you don't need a sub, I'd have to hear that, but if he's running tubes to them, maybe he's right. Go hop in your car and take the ride, you'll drive yourself nutz if you don't, go ahead.