New RF-7 owner needs some advice

Drummerman

Hi,

I just picked up a pair of RF7's the other day and have decided I will need a different amp and preamp. I am very new to home audio and currently have

Yamaha C-45 preamp

2 Yamaha P2075C's bridged to each channel

Marantz CD-63SE

I figure I can keep the Marantz for a while but everything else must go. The RF7s sound pretty good setup like this(better than anything I have had before) but I think the Yamahas make the Klipsch horn overly harsh. I have not decided which route I will take, but my funds are limited to around $500-600 so I will be buying used.

I have been thinking about possibly getting an integrated such as the Jolida 1501RC, but like I said I am not settled on anything. I just want these speakers to sound great on a budget if that's possible.

Also, these are in a small room, 13x14 and I listen to mainly all types of rock, funk, blues, and some electronic music.

Throw me some suggestions!

I've heard somewhere around here amps run in bridged mode don't sound so well, don't know why though.

I borrowed a 250 watt Carver amp for a day and it really woke up my 7's, it was great but the amp had some mechanical problems so it went back.

Yah, I was thinking the same thing. Especially with the impedance dips of these speakers. I guess I'll just buy some new interconnects and give it a try.

I still think I should upgrade the preamp , as I feel it is my weak link.

EDIT, I guess I'll have to upgrade the preamp becauseI it only has one set of outputs.

You should be able to pick up a Yamaha C-80, C-85, or CX-1000 preamp reasonably cheap to replace that lower level C-45. The higher quality preamp should make a difference in performance if you want to stick with vintage Yamaha.

I would also say you should definitley try vertically biamping your

RF7's before passing any kind of final judgement on your amps.

Bridging an amp has the same effect (if I'm not mistaken) as cutting

the impedance level in half. Thus, the amp is working much harder

when in bridged mode and doesn't have near as much headroom for dynamic

passages. In short, it will run out of steam a lot faster.

Also, it seems as I've read the RF7's often times present low

impedances to amps at certain frequencies.

• Like 1