I have the RF-7 system with B&k Amp looking to upgrade suggestions?

jayrf-7

RF7's as efficient as they are and driven by a 200W RMS/per channel amp will belt out SPL that is very harmful to your hearing.

Heritage will play SLIGHTLY oh so slightly louder,as they use larger drivers/larger horns,the actual driver cone has to move less to produce the same SPL. It is not a question of a better horn,longer horn with a larger opening = more gain.Again this gain in loudness will not be great.

I use RF7's front and back,plus an RC7 for center duty.All driven by a 250W/channel power amp(ATI 2505),and it will anihalate your eardrums in no time if pushed.With a "mere" ATI 1505(150W/ch)it will play at levels where you will not listen unless you are DEAF.

Even in large rooms RF7's can dish out very high SPL.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets see

(meh its really 2.93 or 2.83 volts etc etc to basically double the wattage but in the ease of reading)

102db = 1 watts

105 = 2 watts

108 = 4 watts

111 = 8 watts

114 = 16 watts

117 = 32 watts

120 = 64 watts

123 = 128 watts

126 = 256 watts

yet the rf-7 are thermally limited at 250 rms watts but the max volume is 120 db anechoic which we reach with 64 watts. Although this is sorta a faulty result as that db rating is based on single hertz tone I believe out of the cone range and based on the horn which naturally is very efficent. But this shows that even with 10 watts it gets quite loud, now those watts just need high current to meet the 2 ohm bass areas the rf-7 tends to have

Very weird situation. I won't tell you the HK wasn't set up correctly but something was awry. The RX-7 setup with 200wpc is overkill for any room.

Regardless of your receiver improvement, you may want to monitor the health of your hearing. Seriously.

I wanted to add I had a 630 and now a 635 in my 2nd setup.The 630/5 on their own have PLENTY of power,not just enough but plenty.I personally see no need to hook an amp to em'.I had a BK 150 watt per ch st202 on my main set,when I got the Rotel amp I thought I'd hook the BK to the HK mains,I could not tell much difference.The 630 in question must have had a preout issue or as was mentioned something was not compatible.

My friends,

I own the RF7 / RC7 too. Powered by Yamaha MX830/630 power amps connected to my RXV2600 receiver.

Am still very happy with these Klipsch speakers !

But do the RF7 really have such a high efficiency ? Besides that when watching the frequency / impendance response ( saw it somewhere on the net ) cannot we better speaker about the RF7 being 4 Ohm speakers ? Maybe that is why some receivers do not push them enough cause a lack of power supply, cause they definately go down to around 2,8 Ohms ?