Buying over the Internet

boomac

I understand Projectorpeople is an AVS forum supporting vendor and is legit. I haven't heard of Projector.com and can't comment. What product are you looking at?

I'm considering the Panasonic AE900U. My kid and I have gone back and forth between a big TV and the front projector. Rich Place, John Malotky and others had convenienced me that the front projector was the way to go but my neighbor just bought and installed a $5000 InFocus Projector that just doesn't impress me. Nice? Yeah but for 5 large, I dunno! There is no way the picture is a good as a plasma or even the Mits or Sony DLPs/LCDs. Still, I want the theater effect and the AW900U seems to be a great buy at this time. I figure to use a nice 4 year old 36" Sony for most of the TV watchin' anyway.

Talk to Rob (Formica) he just bought that very projector and got a $400 rebate on it to boot. He said it had some technology to it that prevented the screen door type effects. He could certainly answer any questions that you may have on that unit. He did alot of research before deciding on that unit.

I do know that Panasonic makes the best Plasma's out there right now so confidence is high.

You might look into buying the Panasonic at Costco...yes, I said Costco. They are price competetive and if if ever breaks, you can take it back because of Costco's insane return policy (anything anytime). I've even sent clients there to get that projector since there is so little profit in it. I make more money selling them a mount!

Boomac,

I bought my Benq PE7700 from the projectorpeople.com. Service pre and post sale has been great. Luckly I haven't needed any post sales service but they will handle it all. They have some good reviews oon the AVS forum as well. As far as the picture, mine is a 720p dlp projector , I can't remember the amount of lumens. I take it you are planning on using it in your basement that you showed me projectors should work there excellent since you can control the ambient light. They are not as bright as a plasma but the picture quality is great. Do some research and get as low gain screen as possible but still have enough brightness. This really helps the contrast and black levels. I bought my projector screen material from AVS and made my own screen frame using 1x3 lumber. The screen works great and cost just about 130 or so. I highly recomend going the projector route for pure picture size vs cost. They are excellent with HD.

PS your quartets are making great rear centers.

Keith