Hey guys is there anything new at Hope that you got to demo?

Meanwhile, Paul, Jr. (Loves etc.) has spontaneously decided to have his crossovers and tweeters replaced on the spot, and Bob and Mike Crites (background) have spontaneously decided to accommodate him! Ssh helps Paul III rest a K-horn top on the countertop, just prior to trying to rub out scratch marks left by the protruding bolt shafts.

post-12148-1381930119507_thumb.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the tour on Saturday, Mark Kauffman presented many of the newly-current Heritage models (the Cornwall III's came later). As I had come to know over a decade's correspondence with him, Mark had been central to the continuation of the Heritage line, the recovery of production of the K-horn after TWO drivers had been discontinued around 2000, and navigating and steering the return of the Cornwall through the Klipsch organization. Mark also announced that the La Scala II will be reviewed by Sam Tellig in Stereophile this fall!!

Almost an equal milestone in my book was the appearance for the first time in Klipsch demos of TUBES!!!! Mark came to like Cayin products on Heritage...

post-12148-1381930119952_thumb.jpg

...And here is a close-up of the neat electronics array: a Cayin TUBE CD player on top, the TUBE integrated amplifier just below (KT-66's, I believe), a switchbox below the amp, and a Monster Cable power conditioner at the bottom. My comment is that this was a very nice-sounding combination, which synergized very, very well (by synergize, I mean that everything sounded clean, well-unified, and in good balance without apparent response peaks).

post-12148-1381930120666_thumb.jpg

Our group's next stop was at the little, rather neglected museum across the street. In no particular order, we saw the following items, beginning with a pic of Paul and Belle Klipsch with Arthur Fiedler, Boston Pops conductor. This is the only picture of Belle I can remember seeing --

post-12148-13819301241638_thumb.jpg

I didn't try for a comprehensive roundup of the museum, but 1960's-era models and finishes are often of interest. Here is a Shorthorn in the lighter, rather golden mahogany like my '62 K-horns. A utility model "S" is to the right.

I always thought this, the model "S" Shorthorn, should have been made larger so's it would go below 60 Hz (the powerful 15WK woofer option would probably compensate for that some). The larger but lower "T" Shorthorn, outside the pic to the right, would continue on down to 35 Hz or so.

post-12148-13819301282756_thumb.jpg

We were taken on a tour of the incredibly musty basement, cluttered with interesting, well, crap for the most part. PWK's earliest manufacturing was done in this basement, and this is a hand-cranked elevator to move product to the main floor:

post-12148-13819301298036_thumb.jpg

Not all "crap" in the basement - actually there was a quite large pile of speakers of various type/vintage - I readily spotted the passive radiators of at least two pair of Forte II, several KG's, and others. Two of the Forte II had the numbers "Forte II 001" and "Forte II 002" scrawled on the back - could it be the actual first units? These were veneered.....

When asking Jim, I was told that these speakers were all "mules and standards", apparently modified to some degree for testing and/or evaluation purposes, only to the extent that they could be modified "back" to original. Pretty neat stuff.

Interestingly, one of the side rooms also had a BUNCH of early "metal can" woofers hanging on a large metal grid against the wall, and an interesting "machine" in the corner. Jim commented that he had "always intended to ask why Paul had an electroshock machine" down there. Given the dark, damp environment and metal grid on the wall, the unit seemed to fit. Scary....[:D]

Chris

In any event, the basement seemed frozen in time.

Following the museum and lunch, we went on a tour of the plant. The following pics were taken at both the Friday working and Saturday tours. Although we were given a tour of the entire facility, including the higher-line reference models and the pro line, much of our attention was directed toward production of the 60th Anniversary Klipschorn. After getting almost no interest from domestic US dealers, Klipsch worked with European distribution to come up with a dramatically different K-horn -- extremely glossy black top, Australian lacewood veneer surfaces, and the little diamond-embellished PWK logo at the bottom center, on the kickplate. This is a head-on view:

post-12148-13819301303056_thumb.jpg

We saw the factory's amazingly automated precision tools for cutting holes and routing grooves. We were told that manhour labor and production time for making K-horns has been massively reduced from the past. This is a simple example, showing the bass horn motorboard woofer slot as well as the positioned T-nuts to hold the woofer. This took seconds for the machine to cut!

While the exterior panels including those veneered are now MDF, this central structural piece is still made of strong plywood.

post-12148-13819301305766_thumb.jpg

This shows a partially-constructed horn. A big difference from standard models is the partial enclosure of the back -- effectively a portion of false corners! This allows the K-horn to be pulled somewhat out of the corner and toed in or out.

post-12148-13819301306216_thumb.jpg