Hey guys is there anything new at Hope that you got to demo?

After the tour, I returned to the Kauffman listening room, where by now the Cornwall III was being played and compared with the Heresy III, La Scala II, and K-horn (still I?).

I heard what I thought were some interesting things -- when I listened to the C/W III last year, I frankly was disappointed and a little shocked that its rather thin treble sounded so similar to that of the Heresy. It didn't seem to be at all worth the additional $2K over the Heresy. The La S sounded fabulous (and did again this time). This time was dramatically different, to me -- the C/W's sonic balance was very close to that of the La Scala II! Now, in contrast to last year, I thought the Corn's $2K more than the Heresy might be easier to justify, while the $2K over that for a La Scala was now harder to justify. Oh, yes, the seamless clarity of the La's bass had it over the C/W's, and I still wish they had been able to stick a 600-Hz horn in there (like the Cornscala's Pyle horn??), but this seemed to me to be a more serious item than last year. That also probably reflects an improvement in the Heresy II, as well.

post-12148-13819301308066_thumb.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the Farm House that evening, and the small room -- Paul, Kaiser, and Mark Kauffman listening to Paul's reborn K's. Mark hung around a great deal, on Friday through Saturday evening, possibly picking up ideas. As good as his Cayin sounded, I was glad he took the opportunity to hear other equipment, and perhaps further good will come from it.

post-12148-13819301308696_thumb.jpg

Omigosh, I almost forgot -- Klipsch now has a fine, semi-gloss brochure on HERITAGE!!!

I'm sorry I didn't photograph the pile sitting on a table -- 8.5" X 11", eight pages including front and back cover, starting with a beautiful spot-lit pic of a walnut K-horn on the cover, followed by a pic and quote of PWK, then one of three rows of his patents in plaque form on a wall, followed by great pictures of the La Scala II, Cornwall III, and Heresy II. The back cover has the specs for all four.

Remember two years ago when we were all screaming for some classy marketing? Any marketing? This looks like a very classy pub, going far beyond the trifolds or flyers we were imagining a year or two ago.

Similar brochures were laid out for other Klipsch lines.

Larry

Not all "crap" in the basement - actually there was a quite large pile of speakers of various type/vintage - I readily spotted the passive radiators of at least two pair of Forte II, several KG's, and others. Two of the Forte II had the numbers "Forte II 001" and "Forte II 002" scrawled on the back - could it be the actual first units? These were veneered.....

When asking Jim, I was told that these speakers were all "mules and standards", apparently modified to some degree for testing and/or evaluation purposes, only to the extent that they could be modified "back" to original. Pretty neat stuff

Here is that pile of speakers in question!

post-3829-13819301314086_thumb.jpg