wanted: pair of horns with 2 inch throat.

Guest " "

I am looking for a set of horns with a 2 inch throat so I can mount a klipsch k-4m adapter to it. The adapter lets you mount four k-55 drivers to a 2 inch throat horn. If you have any prospects, send me a pm.

What kind of horns are you looking for? Just anything to play with?

Performance wise, 400hz or below. The more below, the better.

A 2 inch version of the altec 511b would be nice.

I have a few pairs of these and was even thinking of cutting off the throat end and having a 2 inch throat face added to it.

Also thinking about making a 2 inch version the one featured in Bruce Edgar's various works.

Not to many 2 inch throat horns on ebay. Folks like parts express have some, but they appear to be either HF horns or upper mid horns.

I think that is a 511 " E "

DJK would know .....

thats a good lead, thanks.

How high does the horn need to go? And what is the rest of the setup that you plan to use it in?

I've been working on a design for a horn loaded "mid" to do 200Hz to

2kHz using an 8" direct radiator. I guess it's not exactly what you're

looking for, but it's definetly something that can be modified to

accomodate a smaller driver (just means the horn is a few inches longer

to get down to the smaller opening).

How high does the horn need to go? And what is the rest of the setup that you plan to use it in?

I've been working on a design for a horn loaded "mid" to do 200Hz to

2kHz using an 8" direct radiator. I guess it's not exactly what you're

looking for, but it's definetly something that can be modified to

accomodate a smaller driver (just means the horn is a few inches longer

to get down to the smaller opening).

Thats a good question.

I am open to the fact that if I can get something that does well at low end, it may not do well at the high end of the mid range.

The range based on the existing xover is 400hz to 4500hz. I would like to create a new xover and try to get as close to 240hz as possible.

Going 4 way is an option.

Did you say 8" direct radiator? funny you should mention. I bought 20 new atlas eight inch full/wide mid-range speakers on ebay about 2 weeks ago for .99 cents. .99 cents for all twenty. The drivers are pretty good. Was going to try them on a wood horn based on some 150hz designs that are on the internet.

i have a lot of friends that would enjoy some bent plywood horns, was thinking of putting something together and playing santa.

hmmm...you'll have to provide the model #'s / specs on those atlas

drivers. If I ever get the money to build one of these horns I would

gladly send it your way. But might as well see how they model up first.

I really dig the idea of the Jubilee, but I wonder how much better the

lower mids would be on a horn designed to do 200-2k, and then a tweeter

that does 2k to 20k...leaving 20-200 for a 3rd bass bin - maybe a

tapped horn like the danely dts-20? The 40Hz cutoff of the Jubilee just

isn't low enough for me...

hmmm...you'll have to provide the model #'s / specs on those atlas

drivers. If I ever get the money to build one of these horns I would

gladly send it your way. But might as well see how they model up first.

I really dig the idea of the Jubilee, but I wonder how much better the

lower mids would be on a horn designed to do 200-2k, and then a tweeter

that does 2k to 20k...leaving 20-200 for a 3rd bass bin - maybe a

tapped horn like the danely dts-20? The 40Hz cutoff of the Jubilee just

isn't low enough for me...

I agree with you that there is proably a combination of bins that would be needed for a full and rich sounnd stage.

The various bins in use have some unique qualities, but now are all encompassing.

If we get creative, how about a half a k-horn to start (only one wing of the horn, the bottom one). On top of that put either a 1 foot high section simular to either a Belle, LaScala or a Jubilee using a smaller driver. Nice wooden horn on top of that. Small bi-radial horn as the tweeter.

I made a set of K-horns once that was just 15% bigger in size and used the cabinet mounted false corners, put an 18 inch driver in it. The bass was awesome, and the mid-bass profound. I built them for a company party which had 3000 attendees. The sound was unforgetable.

What kind of horns are you looking for? Just anything to play with?

Performance wise, 400hz or below. The more below, the better.

I have a few pairs of these and was even thinking of cutting off the throat end and having a 2 inch throat face added to it.

Also thinking about making a 2 inch version the one featured in Bruce Edgar's various works.

Not to many 2 inch throat horns on ebay. Folks like parts express have some, but they appear to be either HF horns or upper mid horns.

I belive the 511 E ...has a 2" throat

The 2" aluminum 2441 on the JBL 2350 horn, expect the K55Vs to roll off above 4Khz. The steeper you cross it, the lower you can cross it. The K400 has about the same low cut-off (275hz).

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2441.pdf

Same horn with a 1" aluminum 2421 to show the low end is mainly the horn size.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2421ab.pdf

Only a few 8" drivers are suited for horn use. A high mass corner is needed, and a copper shorting ring helps the high end Le corner. Here is a good inexpensive one:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/294-652.pdf

On the right horn this 8" would do 200hz~2Khz, and you could use a good 1" compression driver above there. It would look a lot like this:

KPTjubilee_large.jpg

The 2" aluminum 2441 on the JBL 2350 horn, expect the K55Vs to roll off above 4Khz. The steeper you cross it, the lower you can cross it. The K400 has about the same low cut-off (275hz).

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2441.pdf

Same horn with a 1" aluminum 2421 to show the low end is mainly the horn size.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2421ab.pdf

Only a few 8" drivers are suited for horn use. A high mass corner is needed, and a copper shorting ring helps the high end Le corner. Here is a good inexpensive one:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/294-652.pdf

On the right horn this 8" would do 200hz~2Khz, and you could use a good 1" compression driver above there. It would look a lot like this:

KPTjubilee_large.jpg

rolling off at 4000hz is fine, since they were only designed to operate to 4100hz by atlas sound (according to their technical infor PDF).

thanks