Radio Shack SPL (LFE)

kde

I purchased the digital SPL meter from Radio Shack, but have not taken it out of the box yet. I am planning to "play" with the device alongside the Avia cd and possibly the (Riva - forget the name) cd.

I have read about the variances and inaccuracies in the models, but for $50 -- it's probably worth a shot right?

So, do I keep the digital or return it and get the standard?

by playing testtones you can chart the speakers. usually lows are off alot.

Also digital and anlog are about the same. The analog has one thing over the fact that the digital rounds to the nearest dB while the analog you can guesstimate about how much the dB is between two numbers. Again though the dB meter is probably +- 1 dB its really not that important

Maybe I am having little patience with the cd, but it is difficult to follow when it is based on a 5.1 set up versus a 7.2.

Is the basic goal to get all the speakers at the same db level? For example, if I get all speakers at 75db -- is my system calibrated?

Is the basic goal to get all the speakers at the same db level? For example, if I get all speakers at 75db -- is my system calibrated?

There's 2 things you can do with an SPL meter, and that's the first: get all your speakers to play at the same level when you run your receiver's test pink noise thru them.

The second thing you can do is to see how your system reproduces the frequency spectrum, by playing test tones. Use your sub-woofer level & tone controles to get the response as flat as you can. If you want to go further, look into getting a parametric equlizer for your sub, and modifing the acoustics of your room.

Re: The second thing you can do is to see how your system reproduces the frequency spectrum, by playing test tones. Use your sub-woofer level & tone controles to get the response as flat as you can.

What do you mean by "as flat as you can"?