Ice cream relay for Hope?

As per the "here's the scoop" thread (no irony intended with the title), Dtel's wife said

"However, I also like Coytee's "relay" idea. That would be a super cool story for those folks and ice cream at the end of a hard work day would be a real treat. Why don't one of you start a new thread and see if we can't gather some ideas these creative guys/gals on the forum"

So, if this idea is pursued, the logistis would be, how to get 10 (or pick number) boxes of ice cream hand delivered to Hope within 48 hours of being picked up.

For the record, I don't think it's 48 hours from PICKUP, but, 48 hours from assembly (which makes sense because the dry ice won't "wait" to start to the sublimation process)

Major cities between, we have Cincy, Lexington, Knoxville, Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock and then of course, Hope.

I could run a leg either from Lexington to Knoxville, or Knoxville to Nashville. Heck, if it came down to making sure it could work, I'd consider doing Lexington TO Nashville.

Hey wait, that might be another route also? (directly from Lexington to Nashville)...I never go that way so don't think of it)

We'd need someone to pickup in Cincy & get to Lexington or Knoxville. Depening on how soon this might "need" or be wanted to happen, I might find myself in the Cincy area later on in the summer or perhaps in early fall. If that happens, I could (perhaps) get them myself from Cincy to say...Nashville.

Anyone want to fill in any holes along the highway?

Of course, there is the other issue of gathering up the $$ for it. I personally, wouldn't hesitate to pop in $100, so that's essentially, 2 boxes.

I'm not sure I get the question...

If you call & do mailorder, they DO pack it in dry-ice. Even if you don't have it shipped, they STILL pack it in dry-ice. They will guarantee it for up to 48 hours.

The issue about having it shipped is it doubles the price. I also think Mrs. Dtel was intrigued a bit about the story that it would tell the folks in Hope if their fans did something like a handoff, rather than "just throw more money" at it & have them delivered.

If it's a matter of it being done or not done, then I'd support EITHER option.

• Moderators

If you call & do mailorder, they DO pack it in dry-ice. Even if you don't have it shipped, they STILL pack it in dry-ice. They will guarantee it for up to 48 hours.

The issue about having it shipped is it doubles the price. I also think Mrs. Dtel was intrigued a bit about the story that it would tell the folks in Hope if their fans did something like a handoff, rather than "just throw more money" at it & have them delivered.

Yes, Mrs. Dtel loves the idea of the relay, I think it would be much more meaningful to everyone, the forum members and the folks in Hope.

IMO our time should be more valuable than our money, always.

Dtel and I would also contribute $100.00 and we challenge the other members to meet or exceed this contribution.

If we can collect enough money I also like Kaiser's idea. T-shirts delivered in the morning and ice cream at the close of the day. (See Kaiser's post under Scoop...)

I hope the members that did not attend Hope would also accept this challenge.

Yes, we would support either also.

If you call & do mailorder, they DO pack it in dry-ice.  Even if you don't have it shipped, they STILL pack it in dry-ice.  They will guarantee it for up to 48 hours.

The issue about having it shipped is it doubles the price.  I also think Mrs. Dtel was intrigued a bit about the story that it would tell the folks in Hope if their fans did something like a handoff, rather than "just throw more money" at it & have them delivered.

Yes, Mrs. Dtel loves the idea of the relay, I think it would be much more meaningful to everyone, the forum members and the folks in Hope. 

IMO our time should be more valuable than our money, always. 

Dtel and I would also contribute $100.00 and we challenge the other members to meet or exceed this contribution.

If we can collect enough money I also like Kaiser's idea.  T-shirts delivered in the morning and ice cream at the close of the day.  (See Kaiser's post under Scoop...)

I hope the members that did not attend Hope would also accept this challenge. 

Yes, we would support either also. 

Can't do much to run the relay from NYC (unless the ice cream is coming from new england). But count me in to help rasie cash.

I'm 3.25 hours from Hope, in Dallas. Maybe I can get another Dallas guy to go in with me, and deliver it on a Friday afternoon. I would be willing to take a half day off and make the trip. I'm serious, anyone want to consider this? I can pack the truck, and two of us forum members can be the ice cream delivery man on behalf of everyone else.

Chris

To give you some perspective, my drive from Knoxville to Hope was right at 11 hours (with a brief stop for food).

I'm say... 4 hours from Cincy, so Hope/Cincy is 15 hours approx. Add in time from Dallas and you're 18 1/2 hours?

Anyone know if that's accurate? Dude, you'd be driving all night lol.

I'll say this... in the event something like that DOES happen, you can crash at my place in Knoxville if it fits the time frame. I'm about 18 miles off of I-40.

Also if it helps anyones logistics... the factory is located downtown Cincy. They are open m/f regular work hours. They are ALSO open on Sat/Sun.

If someone showed up on a Sunday to pickup an order, they have to be picked up by 12-noon. That's when the factory closes on Sundays.

If memory serves me...they might be open as early as 7:00 AM on Sundays (but don't quote me on that yet)

I've got a friend who lives in Dallas area (Orthepedic surgon)...I'll try to find him & ask how long it took him to drive between the two.

not to get off topic but speakerfritz your from nyc?

And yes I meant mail order delivery ice cream? and ship it to the Dtel's at their hotel (I believe?)

staten island, to be exact

And yes I meant mail order delivery ice cream? and ship it to the Dtel's at their hotel (I believe?)

Not to sound more dense than I already do, but I'm still confused as to what you are exactly asking.

The Dtel's are no longer in Hope (as best as I know)

Second: the current idea is to NOT ship the goods, but to rather hand deliver them (so mail order isn't really applying here)

Third: The currend idea is for us, by some kind of daisy chain, to hand off the shipment of goods to the next guy in the chain who will pass to the next who in turn will take to the factory.

Fourth: Chris has (if I read him clearly) suggested he drive from Dallas to Cincy, pick up said freight and drive back to Hope for delivery. (he's just trying to cheap shot us all for a freebie listen to the Jubilee again [6])

I just emaild my friend (from elementary school none the less) who lives in Dallas to verify the length of the drive.

• Moderators

ah, no I thought we might just mail it to the dtels which are in a hotel I believe?

Speakerfritz, Bayonne here!

We are home now. Arrived home on Monday night after visiting the plant.

We spent the night in Little Rock Sunday night, then drove back to Hope, went through Ruston, LA to visit youngest daughter, her husband and our granddaughter, got home around 11:00 p.m.

I wish we could coordinate the trip so we could p/u speakers and deliver ice cream on the same day.

Ms. Donna said the speakers would be ready by July/August. We could meet someone in Little Rock, then drive back to Hope and arrive at the plant just before closing time with the ice cream. When Dee reads this I am sure he will help with the relay, maybe he can be the pick up point in Little Rock???

We don't want to steal the glory (delivery) from anyone, so if someone else is willing to do the delivery that is okay by us.

I hope the other members (that didn't attend Hope or other Pilgramages) browse this Pilgramage section and see what we are trying to do.

And Jay...I thought you were from the New Orleans area.

I think these are excellent ideas as gestures of appreciation for the plant personnel. The T-shirts are quite clever and the ice cream idea is sweet... no pun intended.

The "we're in your corner" text communicates not only the endearing attitude of forum members to the folks, but makes a great play on words with the number of folks on the forum who own Heritage or Khorns. Everyone wants to see the Hope operation thrive with the updated Heritage rollout.

I'd just throw in a thought or two on the ice cream relay. That is a significant task to drive the ice cream across the country and I have no doubt it could be accomplished. I'm among the Arkansas forum members who, I am sure, would be happy to support the effort.

One possibility might be to treat the folks to Yarnell's ice cream. It's also made in Arkansas, and is very good, IMO. The logistics are easy. In fact, we could probably have the ice cream delivered to a grocery store in Hope and all we'd have to do it pick it up and carry it out to the factory. Check out the website if you'd care to:

http://www.yarnells.com/home.html

The downside is that it is familiar to the folks and wouldn't have the "rare" appeal of a brand carried across the country.

Among their offerings are "guilt free" along with the guilty pleasure as usual. We could take an assortment of pints or it could perhaps be possible to have some forum members serve the factory folk dishes of ice cream by from the three gallon ice cream parlor buckets. If this were done, a topping bar could be set up so folks could dress up their ice cream to make sundaes, hot fudge or whatever. That might be too much, but the pints are really easily done.

Just something to throw out in the brainstorming process.

One more thought... on the subject of food.

The fellow that catered the BBQ at the farm house is one great cook, and I think most folks may have been aware that his wife has been employed at the factory something more than 25 years.

One possibility could be to contract with him to provide a bbq lunch one day at the factory.

Just one more thought to throw into the mix.

One more thought... on the subject of food.

The fellow that catered the BBQ at the farm house is one great cook, and I think most folks may have been aware that his wife has been employed at the factory something more than 25 years.

One possibility could be to contract with him to provide a bbq lunch one day at the factory.

Just one more thought to throw into the mix.

good one

So, if this idea is pursued, the logistis would be, how to get 10 (or pick number) boxes of ice cream hand delivered to Hope within 48 hours of being picked up.

Why not just FedEx it? I'm sure that wouldn't cost more than a relay. I'll chip in.

Larry