Punch anyone?

risingjay

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Duke,

Ya think an ART Cleanbox would solve his problem. I use one between an Accuphase preamp and my BGWs.

yes ...

any of those, ART, Rolls, etc.

will do it ..

I noticed that as soon as I went XLR from the cleanbox out I immediatly needed to reduce the low frequency output on my DBX 234 6 dBs to keep the sound as balanced as it was before.

Hey Duke,

Ya think an ART Cleanbox would solve his problem. I use one between an Accuphase preamp and my BGWs.

yes ...

any of those, ART, Rolls, etc.

will do it ..

Duke,

So if I use this ART box with my current Pre-amp (Xtreme), it will solve my problem?

Or do you think I should sell the Xtreme and get a Peach from what Mark is saying?

(hopefully you menat windows and not widows)

Bruce

Hopefully you meant meant, and not menat.

Menat;

A necklace that has several rows of beads that gather into a counterweight at the back of the neck. It was worn by the Egyptian goddess Hathor and symbolized the divine powers of healing.

[;)]

Happens every time. [:(]

"Mark - will the Low Z drive these amps properly? The reason that I ask is because I tried it and it did not seem to get better. BUT, remember that the QSC needs a relatively high voltage to drive it." ========= The SuperLoz mode of Peach is 90O and will easily drive a 5kO load like the QSC. In this mode and with this amp the Peach would put out perhaps 15VRMS or more and certainly the amp doesn't require anything like that voltage. Now, you may not like the sound of that combo - that's your taste - but there's nothing technically wrong with it as best I know. md

Mark,

I took out the Philips and put the Yugo tubes back in the Peach and things improved. Bass fattened up and the amp is easily driven to full power.

It is a full and very controlled bass liek the K Horns. It is different than a subwoofer which is deeper, but there.

Chris

I took out the Philips and put the Yugo tubes back in the Peach and things improved. Bass fattened up and the amp is easily driven to full power.

Chris

Just curious when you say amp is driven to full power. Do you mean you take it to the point that your clip lights are flickering? Do you have the amp gain turned all the way up?

Chris

Just curious when you say amp is driven to full power. Do you mean you take it to the point that your clip lights are flickering? Do you have the amp gain turned all the way up?

Yes, driven with all of the lights lit. The B&W's are not nearly as efficient as K Horns and they also drop very low in impedance so they suck power up really quickly.

Chris

Wow those things like power. I wonder if the QSC will be able to satisfy your needs with those speakers. To be honest my 2422 hasn't ever had the clip lights make the first flicker driving my chorus II's.

Hope you get things worked out.

i took out the Philips and put the Yugo tubes back in the Peach and things improved. Bass fattened up and the amp is easily driven to full power. It is a full and very controlled bass liek the K Horns. It is different than a subwoofer which is deeper, but there." ========== Hmmmm....I'd guess then that the Philips tube has a flat tire. md

Mark,

The Philips tubes that I have sounded liek they lacked bass when installed in my AH! CD player. Putting in a pair of Russian Rocket tubes really woke the CD player up, and so did the 1963 Amperex PQ White Labels. I am thinkng about getting another Rocket for the V1 slot and using my pair of Rockets for the V2.

Here is what is gettign me though. B&W 805's have more low volume bass than my N801's. Maybe they are voiced for more bass while the N801's, being monitors, are voiced for a neutral sound. Duke, you have a lot of experience with monitors, what do you think?

Stormin,

The N501's use so much power you wouldn't belive it. 550 wpc (20 to 20K measurement) goes fast. I have my QSC on a 45 day trial from Musician's friend and I am thinking that I will return it for this amp:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/QSC-RMX-4050HD-2Channel-Power-Amplifier?sku=481568

I'm not as much interested in its continuous power as its reserve power capacity. Does anyone here have any experience with the RMX series? I was told that they are as clean as the PLX but just heavier, which is not an issue in a home environment.

Duke,

What will happen if you match up a Low impedence pre-amp say 600 ohms to high imedence input Tube amp like my Dynaco Mark III's?

What will be missing, anything?

My guess, pushing a skateboard with a big block Chevy. But it won't make a skateboard go really fast.

My limited knowledge is this. Electrical flow can be used to model pipe flow. A low impedance is a big pipe and a high impedance is a smal pipe. So, if the preamp has a low impedance output, it can push a larger quantity of flow.

What do you think Mark?

Chris

risingjay - marems has an accurus act-3 for sale over on home theater ($350). Don't know if it is similar to your brother-in-laws or not.

PS. Today I bought a QSC plx 2402 to try with an Outlaw 990 pre & deang'd rf-7's. After reading this thread, although I don't understand it, I wonder if I will like the performance. Hard to pass up musician friend's current prices.

PS. Today I bought a QSC plx 2402 to try with an Outlaw 990 pre

Arky,

Thanks for the info. You are going to have to let me know how that combo works with the Outlaw. I have been eyeballing that for a while now. I called them yesterday to find out what the input impedence is on the pre-pro. They told me it was 47k holms which seems like the QSC wouldn't be a good match. But when I mentioned to the that I have the QSC he said that a lot of people use that amp with the processer. So I guess you will be the guinepig. LET ME KNOW!!!!

You understand the bottom end I am looking for, right?

I just picked up a Radial ProD2 Direct Box today at guitar center. According to Duke this should match my inpedence levels and I think it will work according to the spec on this thing. It converts unbalanced to balanced and will take a High impedence level and bring it down to 600 Ohms which is what these amps need. The only part that gets me is that when you use the balanced connections on the QSC, the input impedence jumps up to 12K Ohms which means you would need an impedence level of 1200 Ohms going into the amp. This is double but is a far cry from the mismatch I was at. Things should really tighten up.

I'm going to try and set this up in the moring but my Father just went into the hospital to get his toe removed due to diabites.

I'll keep up posted.

If you are dissapointed with the way things turn out, just wait for my trial.

My cousin has the $699 version of the Outlaw and it sounds great! He also uses the pre-pro for 2-channel and it does the job very nicely. I just wonder how it would do useing my gear.

Good luck and keep me posted.

Jay

PS. Today I bought a QSC plx 2402 to try with an Outlaw 990 pre

Arky,

Thanks for the info. You are going to have to let me know how that combo works with the Outlaw. I have been eyeballing that for a while now. I called them yesterday to find out what the input impedence is on the pre-pro. They told me it was 47k holms which seems like the QSC wouldn't be a good match. But when I mentioned to the that I have the QSC he said that a lot of people use that amp with the processer. So I guess you will be the guinepig. LET ME KNOW!!!!

You understand the bottom end I am looking for, right?

I just picked up a Radial ProD2 Direct Box today at guitar center. According to Duke this should match my inpedence levels and I think it will work according to the spec on this thing. It converts unbalanced to balanced and will take a High impedence level and bring it down to 600 Ohms which is what these amps need. The only part that gets me is that when you use the balanced connections on the QSC, the input impedence jumps up to 12K Ohms which means you would need an impedence level of 1200 Ohms going into the amp. This is double but is a far cry from the mismatch I was at. Things should really tighten up.

I'm going to try and set this up in the moring but my Father just went into the hospital to get his toe removed due to diabites.

I'll keep up posted.

If you are dissapointed with the way things turn out, just wait for my trial.

My cousin has the $699 version of the Outlaw and it sounds great! He also uses the pre-pro for 2-channel and it does the job very nicely. I just wonder how it would do useing my gear.

Good luck and keep me posted.

Jay

Jay,

Your fine. The ratio is AT LEAST 10 fold. More will not hurt anything.

Chris

Well, I called B&W and they said that I should have plenty of power at 550 wpc for the 801's.

I tried bi-amping them and this really helped because I can turn the tops down a little to boost the woofers. I am using a 200 wpc for the tops and 550 wpc for the woofers. The bass will go through you when playing Enigma. I tried Supertramp's Rudy from Crime of the Century. The bass is there in great volume but it does not dig as deep as a subwoofer. It reminds me of a K Horn. I always liked to use my SW15 turned down low to add a little to the mix.

I should add that the room is 19 feet wide, 40 deep and 9 foot ceilings. That's a lot of space to fill with bass.

To my surprise, the 200 wpc was driven to clipping while the 550 wpc had some throttle left in it. 200 wpc for a tweeter and midrange. It just doesn't make sense.

In any event, I think that these things do have all of the bass that everyone keeps talking about, just not as deep as a 15" deep throw subwoofer crossed over at 70 hz. My K horns could not do it, I shouldn't expect these to do it either.

Can anyone here who uses a subwoofer and a high power amp into their horns comment? How does the bass sound with the subwoofer off?

Thanks,

Chris

No jay that wasn't me. I'm reference all around. Looking for cornwalls within driving distance though.

I bought the QSC plx 2402 to try based on an old thread of Dean's & reading the latest trials of Chris. Yes i'll let you know my impressions.

So I plugged in the Direct box to the system. It seemed to do a very good job of balancing the impedances. But something is still off.

I have to crank the levels on the pre-amp to get the sound levels I used to get. I feel weird doing this. I'm thinking a Peach, Sunfire Tube pre, Outlaw audio processer or a Sunfire theater grand might be better for my needs over the Xtreme. I'm perplexed. Oh well.