Members Weekly Music Recommendations-June 26

thebes

Who knows I may have some Indie around here and not know it. But

if the horrible rain we are having here right now goes away I'll be

finishing up a job. I'll have a little extra dough in my pocket

so I'll be treking on down to the local Tower for a refill.

After all, we could all use a litle boost to our music collection from time to time and certainly this is the place to find it.

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of

music as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp

etc.)

PLEASE DO NOT HUNT ME DOWN AND SHOOT ME LIKE A DOG FOR THIS WEEKS RECOMMENDATION!

Michael Franks, "Skin Dive", lp. pop/easy lisItening I guess

I hated guys like this in college, blow dry hair, pressed blue jeans

and shirt, hair just long enough to look sorta cool, itty-bitty

mustache and usually trying to move in on my girl of the moment.

Still this guy has some nice musical chops. HIs ability to create

a mood is what I like about him most, along with his bossa nova

sensibility and a passing acquaintence with jazz.

Great background music for dinner with friends, and as a prelude to

some better lovin music when you got a girl by for the

night. Always well recorded and sometimes some great musicians

have been know to participate in his albums.

I have about 3 of these, but can'[t find the other two. Tthis is not

his best work and if I can track down the other two I'll repost.

One of them is very, very good and they are all very well recorded.

So what do you have to share this week?

My recommendation this week is one that I think Thebes wrote up quite some time ago when it was first released, but I just got it and it is great!

It's the 30th Anniversarry edition of Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run

I like it for the 1975 live concert at the Hammersmith Odeon in London where a young and not yet famous Springsteen and the E-Street Band put on a mind boggling performance. Although the video is slightly dark and grainy compared to today's technology, this just adds to authenticity to this absolutley stunning look at a young Bruce.

What a performer! What a band!

"the future of Rock&Roll" indeed!!

B000E97X66.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V6656616

Thebes, you started this Blue's thing, and I have to do one more, mind you I slipped out of the 70's for this one;

ME and MR. JOHNSON ; Eric Clapton...........CD...........

I have waited 30+ years for Eric Clapton to do a Rock n' Roll disc, but have come to accept the fact that won't happen. It finally hit me between the eyes, Eric Clapton is a Blues player, that's his stomping ground, and this disc is him paying homage to Robert Johnson. Who better to do a disc of this nature than the master himself. In my opinion, Eric Clapton is the finest Bluesman alive today.Over the course of 40 odd years, his guitar playing has become effortless,but the real change is his voice, it has aged well for him, and just adds to the overall effect of the music. He was born to do Blues, he has lived the Blues, and this disc is just another jewel in the crown. There are 15 Robert Johnson songs on this disc, many I knew, a few I've never heard, a nice mix. Personally speaking, I like Eric on a plugged in Fender, no one has mastered that Fender sound better the EC, but his work on here with an acoustic is straight out of the Delta. If you like that Robert Johnson style and sound, put on this disc, and let Eric take you back to a simplier time, and maybe, just maybe we can all stand at the CrossRoads together..............

Hey Steve, I'm a big Boss fan myself but have yet to do the critical

listening test to the Born to Run lp/original cd and remastered by the

Boss himself cd that came out last xmas. Got to get to that.

Buckster, I've got that cd but haven't warmed up to it. I'll hve to try it again.

Hey Steve, I'm a big Boss fan myself but have yet to do the critical listening test to the Born to Run lp/original cd and remastered by the Boss himself cd that came out last xmas. Got to get to that.

Buckster, I've got that cd but haven't warmed up to it. I'll hve to try it again.

Thebes please remember it's Eric doing Robert Johnson songs in Robert's style............but you probably understand that...........the twins are wearing you down..........when in doubt, turn to Root Boy.........................

Ozric Tentacles-Strangeitude & Arborescence. CD 1991/1994. I

haven't played this stuff in a while but I listened to both today and

they still sound fresh. Kinda prog, kinda tecno-ish, kinda psychedelic,

very good. Put Joe Satriani, King Crimson and Jean Michel Jarre into a

blender and you may be in the ballpark. Here is their page from

allmusicguide.com that I ripped off.

Biographyby John Bush

A

band from another time, Ozric Tentacles served as the bridge from '70s

cosmic rock to the organic dance and festival culture which came back

into fashion during the '90s. Formed in 1983 with a debt to jazz fusion

as well as space rock, the band originally included guitarist Ed Wynne, drummer Nick Van Gelder, keyboard player Joie Hinton, bassist Roly Wynne and second guitarist Gavin Griffiths (though Griffiths left in 1984). The Ozrics played in clubs around London, meanwhile releasing six cassette-only albums beginning with 1984's Erpsongs. (All six were later collected on the Vitamin Enhanced box set, despite a threatened lawsuit from the Kellogg's cereal company for questionable artwork.) In 1987, Merv Pepler replaced Van Gelder, and synthesizer player Steve Everett was also added.

Ozric Tentacles' first major release, the 1990 album Erpland,

foreshadowed the crusty movement, a British parallel to America's hippy

movement of the '60s. Crusties borrowed the hippies' organic dress plus

the cosmic thinking of new agers, and spent most of their time

traveling around England to various festivals and outdoor gatherings.

The movement fit in perfectly with bands like Ozric Tentacles and the Levellers, and the Ozrics' 1991 album Strangeitude became their biggest seller yet, occasioning a U.S. contract with Capitol. After the British-only Afterswish and Live Underslunky, 1993's Jurassic Shift

hit number 11 on the British charts -- quite a feat for a self-produced

album released on the Ozrics' own Dovetail label. The album was

released in America by I.R.S. Records, as was 1994's Arborescence.

Neither album translated well with American audiences -- despite the

band's first U.S. tour in 1994 -- and Ozric Tentacles returned to its

Dovetail label for 1995's Become the Other. Waterfall Cities closed out the decade in 1999, and the following summer the group resurfaced with Swirly Termination. Hinton and Pepler also perform in the trance-techno outfit Eat Static, and have released several albums on Planet Dog Records. Ozric Tentacles surfaced in 2000 to release Hidden Step, followed by the EP Pyramidion. In 2002, Live at the Pongmasters Ball came out on both CD and DVD, making it their first venture into the latter.

This week let's go back in time with the early Moody Blues.

The chart hit song Stop! was released in 1966 and although not of the style the Moody Blues is now known for the song is still great to listen to.

Moody Blues - True Story

Posted Image

Audio CD (December 2, 2003)

Original Release Date: 1996

01 I've Got a Dream

02 From the Bottom of My Heart (I Love You)

03 Can't Nobody Love You

04 Stop!

05 Something You Got

06 Come Back (I Don't Want to Go on Without You)

07 Bye Bye Bird

08 It Ain't Necessarily So

09 True Story

10 And My Baby's Gone

Greg's pick: Stop!

Gorecki

Symphony No. 3

"Symphony of Sorrowful Sounds"

& Three Pieces in Olden Style

Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra Cond. Antoni Wit

Naxos CD 8.550822

You know this is going to be a hit when the cover is embellished with Munch's "The Scream". What's inside is not depressing at all, but some beautiful pieces that I would almost describe as classical techno/new age leaning heavily on the strings. Wonderful to listen to after a bad day at the office followed by an A--hole-laden commute home.

Alright Thebes, I won't hunt you down and kill you like the dog you know you are this time.....(Micheal Franks, oh yeah I remember his stuff, it does tend to bring out the jealosy or something like that). I am putting forth a gift to me by my loving wife...on cd called Yes--Extended Versions:The Encore Collection. Live recorded Yes which seems to me to be a purer, cleaner Yes than the studio versions, especially regarding the vocals of Jon Anderson and the bass of Chris Squire. My Forte II's were rocking to this one. At first you might critique the compression, but fu'get about it! Just immerse yourself into the music and enjoy. A great buy new for only 7 bucks. Now send me my prize.......

Warren Haynes- the LONE EP

CD- Warren on acoustic doing these tunes

Patchwork quilt

I'll be the one

Indian Sunset

Fallen Down

End of the line

Destined to be highly colllectable if your a fan pick it up at the mules website. I beleive it's the only place to aquire it/other than used. Very limited quantities left so I figured I would grab a copy while I was purchasing a shirt. I'm not dissapointed, but it's an EP so it's short.

Dashboard Confessional "Dusk & Dawn" - Emo Rock CD.

Don't expect anything more than mainstream, slightly sugary, pleasing emo (orginally standing for "emotive hardcore," a derivative of punk music where the lyrics revolved more around broken relationships and shattered hearts) that is catchy, poppy, and slick in production sound.

That said, it's a wonderful album for exactly that - mainstream, commercial emo crooning. It's a highly listenable album for all ranges of the spectrum (save for headbangers).

Grownups in rocking chairs, parents doing the dishes, young professionals getting torn a new one by the boss at the office, or simply those poor teens crying into their pillows at night - all NEED apply.

post-12484-13819301981612_thumb.jpg

Hey Grog, that's very interesting. The only early Moody Blues I

rember was "Go Now" which is still a favorite of mine. Kinda

funny because another favorite of mine from their early days is Them,

with Van Morrison singing "Here Comes the Night" . All great

stuff, it's amazing how their sounds changed when they "broke through"

into what they would become most famous, and appreciated, for.

Dashboard Confessional "Dusk & Dawn" - Emo Rock CD.

Don't expect anything more than mainstream, slightly sugary, pleasing emo (orginally standing for "emotive hardcore," a derivative of punk music where the lyrics revolved more around broken relationships and shattered hearts) that is catchy, poppy, and slick in production sound.

That said, it's a wonderful album for exactly that - mainstream, commercial emo crooning. It's a highly listenable album for all ranges of the spectrum (save for headbangers).

Grownups in rocking chairs, parents doing the dishes, young professionals getting torn a new one by the boss at the office, or simply those poor teens crying into their pillows at night - all NEED apply.

Oops in the June 3th edition of the Members Weekly Music Remcommendations I sorta said stay away as its not at all the old Dashboard I come to know but now they are "Alternative" compared to rock before.