LP Shelving

In response to Charlie's thread about his splendid Ikea shelving in his media room, I remembered talking to a member a while back about home brew shelving. I'd promised some details of my simple construction method.

Here is a bit of an overall shot. I built my unit specifically for LP's so the shelf depth of 13" not counting the trim boards. It is 78" tall, just short enough to slide through a standard doorway opening. At the time the available wall space was 66" in width. I got lucky in that it now fits in a little notch in my hallway, so the media is within reach, yet somewhat out of the way. As such, I cannot take a direct head on shot of it.

Please note that this was built my a much younger Michael, with no table saw and in a one car garage during the winter months. I had the local lumber yard rip all the 3/4" plywood to width. The edge boards are 1x2 poplar which adds strength and doesn't bow (it's what windows and doors are typically made of). If you're going to stain it, maybe use Oak or Maple for the edges. The back is a simple piece of Masonite cut to the 66" width, nailed in a few places to keep the books and LP's from falling out the back. Having a back keeps the unit from racking as well.

post-10755-13819302037562_thumb.jpg

At the time of construction, my LP collection would fit in four of the eight main cubbies, I'm glad I made it big enough to allow for expansion of my collection.

The upper sections were for my book library, so I made those shelves adjustable to accomodate different heights. I drilled out a spare piece of the poplar at 1 1/2 " increments, marked one end UP, and clamped it in place to drill the holes for pegs. You can get the shelf pegs at Home store. Note that the shelf needs to be ripped 1" narrower than the fixed shelves and slightly shorter than the opening to allow for the pegs.

post-10755-13819302037902_thumb.jpg

The cabinet construction technique is very simple. Just lay out the boards and cut with circular saw, using speed square to insure straight cuts. Or use table saw if you have one. THis is made entirely with simple butt joints, glued and nailed with 4d finish nails.

I think the sides go all the way up, then all the horizontal shelves within that frame, then the upright section dividers (this makes it so that not too many LP's lean against each other, avoiding warpage). If I did it again, I'd divide it into smaller cubbies.

I then cut the poplar edge pieces, attaching the vertical pieces first, the horizontals, the longer center section serves to hide all the joints and is centered on the 3/4 plywood, On all shelves, the 1x2 is attached with glue and nails just slightly above the top edge of plywood. This is then sanded down with orbital sander, leaving smooth finish.

The edges were rounded over with 3/8 router bit and guide wheel. I think it gives a neater appearance, and the round over keeps the paint from wearing off of any sharp edges.

post-10755-13819302038222_thumb.jpg

After sanding the shelf tops down flush, I applied one coat of latex primer, which raises the grain of the wood slightly. Then Sanded that down again. I had this color custom mixed at Porter in their Glyptec oil-based enamel. This provides a very hard durable finish.

post-10755-13819302039012_thumb.jpg

They have Boltz for LP's? That stuff is great looking but pretty spendy. I was very poor and on my first set of $300 Cornwalls when I made that unit up. Had way more time than money. You should have seen me trying to assemble it sitting up on milk crates in that single garage!

Looks good Michael. The reasons I like the IKEA are cost, strength, and

the fact that every 13" or so there is a break. In other words there is

not hundreds of records per shelve leaning on each other possibly

wearing on the covers.

Nice job CP1 but, I too plan to take the cowards way out and drive to IKEA up near Boston.

Does anyone know how many LPs will comfortably fit in each cubicle? I need to know whether to buy one or two so I can prep the bride how much it will cost her.-) She's going to have to buy me lunch when I drive her up there too.[6]

Rick

Looks good Michael. The reasons I like the IKEA are cost, strength, and

the fact that every 13" or so there is a break. In other words there is

not hundreds of records per shelve leaning on each other possibly

wearing on the covers.

How are those shelves supported Charlie? They appear to just be 3/4 board, possibly particle. Unless there is some stiffener or brace, I don't see how it can't NOT warp in time. Or can you post detail photo or Ikea page?

Michael

Just counted 70 in mine...mix of doubles, gatefold and single, some with plastic sleeves. Still room left, but nice # to still be able to look through. I think the shelves come in two sizes, I bought the small and wish I had gotten the larger size. Joe

Michael -

Nice shelves. Unfortunately, my wife won't let me get too close to power tools.

Charlie -

Which Ikea shelving units are you talking about? I am now in need of LP storage and I would like to hear more about the shelves you put together. I hit the Ikea website and saw a few which looked like they might fit the bill. One was actually a corner shelving unit that would fit nicely in a spare room in the basement. Not very fancy (I don't want fancy), but they don't look very strong in the pics. I'd like to check them out in person, but the nearest store is in Woodbridge (NoVA) and I don't expect to be up there anytime very soon. Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Michael -

Nice shelves. Unfortunately, my wife won't let me get too close to power tools.

Charlie -

Which Ikea shelving units are you talking about? I am now in need of

LP storage and I would like to hear more about the shelves you put

together. I hit the Ikea website and saw a few which looked

like they might fit the bill. One was actually a corner

shelving unit that would fit nicely in a spare room in the

basement. Not very fancy (I don't want fancy), but they don't

look very strong in the pics. I'd like to check them out in

person, but the nearest store is in Woodbridge (NoVA) and I don't

expect to be up there anytime very soon. Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Chuck,

I use Ikea "Expedit" shelves.

They work very well for Lp's:

http://tinyurl.com/gkltj

Hope this helps,

Paul