Ampeg Portaflex B12 XT

Marvel

One for sale at one of my favortie little music stores here in town. It has original Jensen 12s (pair), and is in working condition. Uses the dreaded 7199. 7025A output tubes.

I love these things, but don't know what it would be worth. The guy is asking $800 for it.

Bruce

Duke,

This is actually a guitar amp. Two inputs, with trem on one channel. It also has an accordian input, which is a 'bright' channel.

It is really in pretty good shape. I just don't think I could justify the cost. I'm sure the '40s lap steel would sound great through it though.

Bruce

Jess Oliver former Ampeg Vice President inventor he is a working bass player in the NYC area himself.You can email him at Oliversoundco@aol.com or phone him before 5 PM Eastern time at 516-799-5267 if you need him to work on your amp

or if you are in the market to buy,$600 to $800 sounds good, if it is in good shape,an the store will support any problems, X stood for extra power or extra effects like reverb or vibrato,but there is alot of amps out there for that kind of coin

post-16352-13819302073442_thumb.gif

Hey Marvel,

I had one of these many years ago, with the 4X12 (yes that's right 4x12's) Portaflex cabinet. The whole thing was really huge and with the head stored inside the cabinet it weighed a ton and was a bear to move. So I unscrewed the Portaflex panel from the amp section and latched it to the cabinet and then sold the cabinet without the amp.

I bolted the amp section to a pine board and put some feet on it. It sounded pretty good but it wasn't really protected by a cabinet anymore, so it was a little tricky to transport. I finally sold the amp head to a friend of mine in the early 1980's for $40. I recently tried to buy it back from him, but he doesn't respond when I bring it up! I think my old Ampeg is probably long gone--after all, that was over 20 years ago--LOL.

Marvel, if you decide not to get this, I wonder if I should try to buy it. What is the cosmetic condition like? How original do you think the amp is?

Best in horns,

triceratops

Hey Marvel,

I had one of these many years ago, with the 4X12 (yes that's right 4x12's) Portaflex cabinet. The whole thing was really huge and with the head stored inside the cabinet it weighed a ton and was a bear to move. So I unscrewed the Portaflex panel from the amp section and latched it to the cabinet and then sold the cabinet without the amp.

I bolted the amp section to a pine board and put some feet on it. It sounded pretty good but it wasn't really protected by a cabinet anymore, so it was a little tricky to transport. I finally sold the amp head to a friend of mine in the early 1980's for $40. I recently tried to buy it back from him, but he doesn't respond when I bring it up! I think my old Ampeg is probably long gone--after all, that was over 20 years ago--LOL.

Marvel, if you decide not to get this, I wonder if I should try to buy it. What is the cosmetic condition like? How original do you think the amp is?

Best in horns,

triceratops

The vinyl covering is in very good shape. The two Jensens look to be

original and sound good. The 7027A output tubes (I think I said 7025

earlier) are okay, but may not be the easiest to track down. The 7199

is the same as all the Dynaco ST-70 used. Another more difficult one to

find would be the 6CG7 for the tremolo. As it is, it does work okay.

What is missing is one knurled nut, that holds one end of the tube cage down. The post it attaches to is loose, with the nut that belongs on the inside of the chassis loose somewhere.

I would be very tempted if I hadn't just bought James' Moondogs. I also don't need to drop more into an amp that may become more difficult to find parts for. If I were really in the market, I would be more likely to just spend more and get an AC30. Be overkill for me. If I were making money playing, that would be another story entirely.

Bruce