Swapping 1/4" for RCA's

O.k. now I've got the urge to change the 1/4" inputs on my EQ to RCA's. I'm tired of wondering how much better it would sound without those damn Rat Shack adaptors back there.

What I would like to use are WBT 0201's but those things cost $20.50 each and that's from some place in Germany.

Anywhere else I can get these things from??

BTW- The EQ (as listed below) is a dbx 1231.

Why don't you just make up some cables? Get RCA cables twice the length you need, cut em in two- solder 1/4's onto the other ends. Voila, problem solved and you didn't butcher up a nice DBX unit to do it.

I've been a pro soundman for years and always carried a handful of those RS adapters, they work just fine. I doubt if there is any noticable signal degradation. Just twist em around or clean the surfaces once in a while.

Michael

This is a most interesting thread. I've been wondering about doing the same thing with the Crown D-45 that I don't yet own.

It going to the trouble to put in decent RCA's is one of those things that seems like it "should" make a difference, however, I'd be surprised if one could actually hear the difference between a proper installation and the RS adapters.

O.k. now I've got the urge to change the 1/4" inputs on my EQ to RCA's. I'm tired of wondering how much better it would sound without those damn Rat Shack adaptors back there.

What I would like to use are WBT 0201's but those things cost $20.50 each and that's from some place in Germany.

Anywhere else I can get these things from??

BTW- The EQ (as listed below) is a dbx 1231.

If you want my honest opinion, I would leave the inputs on the dbx alone. If you want some kind of improvement, and since the dbx and your McIntosh MC252 both accept balanced XLR inputs, I would buy a Rane Balance Buddy ( http://www.rane.com/bb22.html ) and insert it between your McIntosh C33 pre and the dbx 1231.

Just run a standard pair of RCA ICs from the C33 to the BB 22, then run a pair of XLR cables from the BB 22 to the dbx 1231, and another pair of XLR cables from the 1231 to the MC252 amp.

That's exactly what I am doing since my Rane crossover and Crown amps all take balanced XLRs. Plus, going this way also eliminates most all noise and hum if there is any. The Rane BB 22 is already on its way.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, it's this little thing called "QUALITY". Something I don't mind putting my money towards. You have to pay for that, or suffer the consequences of garbage in your audio system.

I have a couple pairs of those RatShack converters for going both ways, and they absolutely suck! They induce noise into the system and also roll off the freq range on both the top end and bottom end. If RatShack gave the specs to those things, I bet they'd be something like 30Hz - 12kHz with a S/N ratio of 80dB!

You've seen my system and the freq plots I've posted. I didn't get my system there by cutting corners and compromising equipment. Sure, it's not the greatest stuff money can buy, but it can sure hold its own against much higher end systems.

Yikes, for a pair of transformers?!?

BTW, you of all people should know that not ALL transformers are made the same, or anything for that matter.

Which would you rather have? A Huffy 10-speed road bike or a Trek hibryd on/off road bike just to ride around on pavement?

I'll take the Trek!

Well if they serve the same purpose...

Since you've got both and some

measuring equiipment surely you wouldn't mind showing the crappy

frequency response? I've had only good results with huge reductions in

noise floor...perhaps you've got issues with which pin is the "hot"

one? I dunno how to describe the huge difference in experiences.

A transformer is just a few coils of wire wrapped around a ring of metal.

• Klipsch Employees

1/4" connectors are some of the worst on the market.

However, we build and use XLR to RCA all the time in the lab and can not test and find a difference.

Good cable and connectors for about $10 and you can have a find IC.

I have tested using the 1/4" to RCA adaptors and can find no difference in our test. (testing with LMS and AP)

Attached is some info you may can use.

balanced to unbalanced.pdf

I agree with Trey.

One of the difficulties in 1/4" connectors is that you have two rounded surfaces 'mating' at a right angle, so the point of tangency is next to nil surface area. Both RCA's and XLR's have much more contact, XLR's being lockable and RCA's having the springy part easily accessible in case the connection should loosen.

Well if they serve the same purpose...

Since you've got both and some

measuring equiipment surely you wouldn't mind showing the crappy

frequency response? I've had only good results with huge reductions in

noise floor...perhaps you've got issues with which pin is the "hot"

one? I dunno how to describe the huge difference in experiences.

A transformer is just a few coils of wire wrapped around a ring of metal.

Steel toe boots and sandles serve the same purpose, but you can't go rock climbing with either, now can you?

Like I said already, all transformers are NOT created equal. If you like the RatShack ones, then more power to you, and I feel sorry for you. Personally, I think they sound like $h!t.

If you want to run some tests, then go right ahead. I'm not going to waist my time with it.

Back on topic...

I too agree with Trey and Mike. XLR and RCA are much better choices than 1/4" as far as surface contact is concerned. I'm sure there's got to be an improvement in sound, but not a "in-your-face" improvement. I still say the greatest improvement would be moving up to balanced signals though. [;)]

wow chops, sandals and steel toe boots are so totally "built for the same purpose".

How do you explain your crappy experiences when many others have had no

problems whatsoever? The "wrong" hot pin has been an issue for a long

time and was only stadardized a few years ago, before which the

industry was split about 60/40. I'm not saying there isn't anything

wrong with the ratshack crap, but if you're so concerned you could

easily build your own for way less than $100...which is where I was

leading in the first place. It's an issue that arises all the time with

equipment powered with pro-amps in a consumer setting and there doesn't seem to be any cost-effective solutions out there.

Seriously, no need to take everything so negatively.

• Klipsch Employees

wow chops, sandals and steel toe boots are so totally "built for the same purpose".

How do you explain your crappy experiences when many others have had no problems whatsoever? The "wrong" hot pin has been an issue for a long time and was only stadardized a few years ago, before which the industry was split about 60/40. I'm not saying there isn't anything wrong with the ratshack crap, but if you're so concerned you could easily build your own for way less than $100...which is where I was leading in the first place. It's an issue that arises all the time with equipment powered with pro-amps in a consumer setting and there doesn't seem to be any cost-effective solutions out there.

Mike is right.

All will work.

Pro to home connections can be a problem

The change can be done for under $100.

Negative is not the way to be.

This balanced stuff (topic) is so timely for me now...

I'll be getting the EV Dx38 active x-over for the Jubilees. It has balanced inputs yet I'm setup with RCA's (although the McIntosh 2102 has balanced inputs too [:D])

So, do I run RCA output from my Peach to the EV Dx38 and put an adapter on the EV side to convert to balanced?

Following that, I can run balanced out to the McIntosh balanced in for the top end. For the bottom end, I can run balanced out and put an adapter on my solid state amp's input?

This world of balanced cables is new to me and I'll probably be asking some dumb questions for some guidance [:$]

How do you explain your crappy experiences when many others have had no problems whatsoever? The "wrong" hot pin has been an issue for a long time and was only stadardized a few years ago, before which the industry was split about 60/40. I'm not saying there isn't anything wrong with the ratshack crap, but if you're so concerned you could easily build your own for way less than $100...which is where I was leading in the first place. It's an issue that arises all the time with equipment powered with pro-amps in a consumer setting and there doesn't seem to be any cost-effective solutions out there.

Mike is right.

All will work.

Pro to home connections can be a problem

The change can be done for under $100.

Negative is not the way to be.

How do either of you figure I'm being negative? All I'm doing is stating what happened with me and those adapters.

If you all took it as me being negative, then oh well.

Personally, I'm getting a little tired of people trying to tell me how I should act or talk. Don't bother because I'm NOT going to change for anyone. <-- (not negative, just getting a little PO'ed. There's a difference!)