EV Dx-38 question..

Coytee

I downloaded their "RACE" software to play around with it before my unit arrives.

Do I infer this correctly (for someone who knows), it seems this has a built in equalizer and I can do some room corrections with it at the crossover level?

I have a mode right at 90 hz, but I forget how strong it is but it seems I can reduce this frequency a bit using the Dx-38.

Also, if I can do all these other wonderful things with it, is it possible that it will also allow me to vary the signal levels (or auto match?) between the hi/low end such that attenuators on my amps will NOT be needed? It'd be real nice if I could match my amps at the crossover level. Of course, my next question (if it can be done) is how do I figure out what the best setting is... by ear?

I've not seen anything yet that suggests the DX-38 will do this, so I'm cheating & seeing if anyone knows for sure.

I suggest you bring Mike over to your place and let him run his ETF on your system and dial in the crossover that way. It honestly takes years to be able to "accurately" dial in things by ear - and even then the proper measuring tools usually result in even better results. The hard part will be to not touch it once its set [;)]

Page 11 of the manual mentions that there are 4EQ's per output channel. I'd imagine they are parametric so if the Q is high enough it would be feasible to address some acoustical issues this way.

Didn't Roy mention having all the necessary settings available for this unit?

Do I infer this correctly (for someone who knows), it seems this has a built in equalizer and I can do some room corrections with it at the crossover level?

Looking at the manual (http://www.electrovoice.com/download_document.php?doc=67), it appears that there are 5 bands of EQ per input channel before the crossovers, and several configurable bands per output channel after the crossover.

Also, if I can do all these other wonderful things with it, is it possible that it will also allow me to vary the signal levels (or auto match?) between the hi/low end such that attenuators on my amps will NOT be needed? 

Yes. "Each channel employs a digital level control and a polarity switch." There is also delay compensation available.

Of course, my next question (if it can be done) is how do I figure out what the best setting is...  by ear?

I did all of my ISP-100 settings by ear. It just takes time.

Greg

I suggest you bring Mike over to your place and let him run his ETF on your system and dial in the crossover that way. It honestly takes years to be able to "accurately" dial in things by ear - and even then the proper measuring tools usually result in even better results. The hard part will be to not touch it once its set [;)]

Page 11 of the manual mentions that there are 4EQ's per output channel. I'd imagine they are parametric so if the Q is high enough it would be feasible to address some acoustical issues this way.

Hmm...Mike...are you listeningggggggggggg? [;)]

I don't know what a "Q" is, so "ok" is my response to what ever you said.

Regarding Roy having the settings, the answer is yes. He said he did. In fact, I emailed him earlier today asking if instead of him trying to type or via phone, tell me how to do this (since I'm already confused by the unit), does he have a way to send me the file via email.

Seems the Dx unit can interface with a PC and you can alter the software on the pc and then download it back to the DX unit.

If you can do that, then you should be able to email that file.

Roy told me that he fiddles with the unit (while at work) via the controls on the face of it and not via pc so that might be an issue on his side.

Regarding Roy having the settings, the answer is yes. He said he did. In fact, I emailed him earlier today asking if instead of him trying to type or via phone, tell me how to do this (since I'm already confused by the unit), does he have a way to send me the file via email.

Seems the Dx unit can interface with a PC and you can alter the software on the pc and then download it back to the DX unit.

Roy told me that he fiddles with the unit (while at work) via the controls on the face of it and not via pc so that might be an issue on his side.

Richard the data Roy will give you will do just about all that you will need and it will be far easier than you think to input the data with the Units own front controls.

As far as any room adjustments with the PEQ that you might need to implement I will be glad to help you out.

mike TN[:)]

hey coyotee-o,

i will try to find out if i have the program to download the info from the ev unit to a computer but it is pretty easy to input by hand. i should have all the major spices to get the sound cooking and then hopefully, all you will have to do is salt and pepper to taste.

roy