Electro-Voice 2 Way Coax Klipsch auction..

Clarence

i only thought it absurd (with a hint of sarcasm) that the seller brags in his listing that Klipsch used these in production model speakers. I am familiar with a coax setup, mostly in car audio where space is tight. however, this is the first 12 INCH driver I have ever seen with a post mounted tweeter, let alone a horn!

different, yes. sound good, possibly. i would almost buy it just to play with it! i just wanted to clarify that this was not used in any of the heritage line, which would be the only klipsch speakers that could possibly use a 12 inch driver, correct?

The shorthorn was available as a kit, had a 12" cutout and could be built up with a coaxial speaker or the deluxe version with the K1000 mid horn and a tweeter and crossover.

Mine has a 15" with round coax speaker made by Jensen. (yes, you could mount a 15" behind the 12" cutout- it was in the plans)

Michael

"i only thought it absurd (with a hint of sarcasm)"

Sorry, I didn't catch the sarcasm [:)]. Very cool looking speaker to me, and appears to be in good shape. I have a JBL C36 cabinet (circa 1954 or there about) with a coax driver including a horn tweet. Sounds pretty good, but a Cornwall kicks its butt!

Mine isn't that driver at all. If you can find the specs on it, Doc could give you ft3 size.

See the three terminals? That must be so you could hook up the volume control, so it's probably just a cap in there keeping the lows out of the tweeter.

M

I have seen those drivers used in early Heresy's that were sold as bargain 2-way models. Awhile back a guy posted a photo of a Heresy with one of those drivers in it. I have the photo on my PC at home somewhere.

They could have also been used in the bargain model Shorthorn's (Ortho-Drive) as suggested.

The T/S parameters can be found at http://www.geocities.com/tadgesualdo/12trxbTSparameters.html

More info at.. http://www.geocities.com/tadgesualdo/12trxbmanifesto.html

They require a pretty big box as a bass reflex system. Can also be used for open baffle.

They have a singe cap for a first order high pass on the tweeter. The control is an L-pad for the tweeter. The wizzer cone sort of makes it a three way. Interesting speaker but I have never listened to one. Lots of info on the web.

There's a nice pair also on this listing... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&item=140007112439&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

The Electro Voice 12TRXb was quite well thought of "back in the day." I understand the Music Box in Wellesley, MA., the longtime New England Klipsch dealer, used to recommend them to folks not ready to spend the bucks for Heresies. It combines the same 12" woofer structure used in the early H-1000s and H-700s with a T-35b tweeter on a single chassis. There is an internal cap to protect the tweeter - the three terminals are there to allow connecting an L-pad to back off the high frequencies. There is also a "whizzer" cone for the midrange - which is why Utah and everyone else called this type of design a "three-way" speaker.

They will work OK in a Heresy sized cabinet, but are really happiest in a ported box about half again as big. They'll actually make it down to 35 hz. or so in such a configuration, if you don't ask them to go too loud.

The website mentioned above is a hoot - lot of good information there too.

Electro-Voice made several different variations on this theme, including 12TRX, which has a much larger magnet, an outboard crossover, and a T-35 tweeter in the middle. This driver needs a huge box, but will supposedly get down to 20 hz. in a refridgerator size box. Real efficient too. There is also a much later 12TRX-C, which is a completly different speaker with (I think) a dome tweeter co-axially mounted.

EV also made the 15TRXb and 15TRX, following the same patterns as the 12s in a 15 inch format.

Stay away from the very early ones with the narrow tweeter. There's a reason PWK didn't use the first generation T-35s.

• 2 years later...

Gee, nobody read the recent 'weekend reading'?

PWK talks specifically about how the co-axial mounting of the tweeter increases the FMD dramatically over mounting the same tweeter on the front of the box.

Here is the EV lit on how the tweeter is wired, and how to add the midrange horn at a later date:

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/EDS/15TRX%20&%2015TRXB%20EDS.pdf