50 Albums that changed music

Daddy Dee

• Moderators

Although there is plenty to debate about this list (http://www.rocklist.net/world.html), I believe it is much more authoratative. It would be interesting to see how everyone would cut that list, or the '87 list, from 200 down to 50. I think our lists of 50 would be a whole lot better then their list of 50.

Travis

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting list!

Unfortunately, my internet time is limited, so I'll make the most of it!!!

I've always had a "Top xxx" list in my head. The list posted sort of mirrors what has already been said. But my brain works a little different.

IMHO...

As a musically inclined metalhead product of two classically trained hippies my tops in each decade are:

60s: Sgt Pepper's... Cant disagree there. Love the Petsounds, but SPLHCB was off the map.

70s: DSOTM... can't tell you how many times I listened to this with my ma. Top notch everything -- songwriting, lyrics, recording, concept, etc.

80s: Beastie Boys -- Paul's Botique... And here is where the differeces start. There was more music references/samples than you could shake a stick at. Nothing had ever been done like this before, and nothing will ever be done like this ever again. Thanks to lawyers.

90s: Pantera -- Vulgar Display of Power... As a metalhead, homage must be paid to this. There was plenty of metal to go around back then, but ALL of today's metal can be traced back to this album. And I can't stand most of today's metal.

Ok.

Gotta go.

Deep Purple was a little before Black Sabbath. If we want to get back to the roots of Metal, I say Deep Purple founded it.

Led Zeppelin. I know why they don't fit on the list. The list is of albums that obviously influenced others - i.e. the others appear to have modified/copied/expounded upon the originator. There will NEVER be another Zep!

• Moderators

Well, if I have to think of one band that started a revolution I would have to say The Sex-Pistols. They started a counter culture that still rages today and has influenced many of todays singers. Of course, I am partial to this kind of music.

I love the sex pistols, yes I do. However, I believe the Ramones and Patty Smith predated them a bit. I think in terms of direct influence on Punk, Joey Ramone had as much, if not more, influence then anyone.

Travis

• Moderators

Interesting list!

Unfortunately, my internet time is limited, so I'll make the most of it!!!

I've always had a "Top xxx" list in my head. The list posted sort of mirrors what has already been said. But my brain works a little different.

IMHO...

As a musically inclined metalhead product of two classically trained hippies my tops in each decade are:

60s: Sgt Pepper's... Cant disagree there. Love the Petsounds, but SPLHCB was off the map.

70s: DSOTM... can't tell you how many times I listened to this with my ma. Top notch everything -- songwriting, lyrics, recording, concept, etc.

80s: Beastie Boys -- Paul's Botique... And here is where the differeces start. There was more music references/samples than you could shake a stick at. Nothing had ever been done like this before, and nothing will ever be done like this ever again. Thanks to lawyers.

90s: Pantera -- Vulgar Display of Power... As a metalhead, homage must be paid to this. There was plenty of metal to go around back then, but ALL of today's metal can be traced back to this album. And I can't stand most of today's metal.

Ok.

Gotta go.

I'm surprised you did not have AC/DC on your list somewhere.

Travis

Coda, I'm very, very impressed with your analysis. Almost like cryptography and frequ analysis.

For what it is worth: When I started college in 1970 a buddy who was a senior had a routine. Every Saturday he'd check the Billboard Survey, and go buy the new 45 RPM of whatever entered the top 10. He had quite a collection. This was in the lingering days of top 40 radio on WABC and WMCA in NYC.

About four years before there was the beginning of Album Oriented Rock on FM, very cool. My high school time. As your analysis shows, this was the ramp up of influential works which peaked in the early '70s and continuted. Now it is Classic Rock.

I tire of it. But it has legs.

= = =

In the analysis of albums which changed music, we might consider the extent to which any popular genre displaced others. Jazz was popular. I recall vaguely comments by Jazz performers who said they were doing fairly well until The Beatles came along. Then no one was interested in Jazz anymore. They had withstood Elvis, etc. but The British Invasion, followed by what is now Classic Rock drew off the young people's listening habits.

Allen must have some observations.

Gil

All this chat about Albums that changed music is great, it really is, but what are we really doing here, putting labels on it ? Music has been around since before any of us were born, and trust me, will out live us all. Call it what you want, Jazz, Rock, Country, Classical, Blues, Metal, bottom line, it's MUSIC plain and simple. There was always music before records, tapes, and cd's, before there was equipment to play it on, or the electricity to run the equipment, Music has withstood the test of time, artists come and go, musical tastes change, styles change, but the thing that remains constant, is the MUSIC...................ENJOY THE MUSIC......

In the analysis of albums which changed music, we might consider the extent to which any popular genre displaced others. Jazz was popular. I recall vaguely comments by Jazz performers who said they were doing fairly well until The Beatles came along. Then no one was interested in Jazz anymore. They had withstood Elvis, etc. but The British Invasion, followed by what is now Classic Rock drew off the young people's listening habits.

Good point, Gil.

But remember Neil Young's lyrics:

Hey hey, my my / Jazz music will never die

and

The king is dead but he's not forgotten / This is the story of Jack Teagarden

All this chat about Albums that changed music is great, it really is, but what are we really doing here, putting labels on it ? Music has been around since before any of us were born, and trust me, will out live us all. Call it what you want, Jazz, Rock, Country, Classical, Blues, Metal, bottom line, it's MUSIC plain and simple. There was always music before records, tapes, and cd's, before there was equipment to play it on, or the electricity to run the equipment, Music has withstood the test of time, artists come and go, musical tastes change, styles change, but the thing that remains constant, is the MUSIC...................ENJOY THE MUSIC......

In the world we're used to, yes. In the Islamo-fascist world of the Taliban, music is outlawed. They've put to death music sellers. Simply listening to music is a sin. Muhammad supposedly said, "Those who listen to music and songs in this world, on the Day of Judgment, molten lead will be poured into their ears." For that reason I don't expect Klipsch to sell many units in Somalia.

In the world we're used to, yes. In the Islamo-fascist world of the Taliban, music is outlawed. They've put to death music sellers. Simply listening to music is a sin. Muhammad supposedly said, "Those who listen to music and songs in this world, on the Day of Judgment, molten lead will be poured into their ears." For that reason I don't expect Klipsch to sell many units in Somalia.

I just thought we were talking about intelligent people, the Taliban don't fit MY definition of intelligent. They kill you for listening to Music, yet they poison the world with their Heroin, they don't deserve Klipsch speakers................