dts 6.1 soundtrack questions?

TIbor

I popped in Castway last night since it is a 6.1 soundtrack to see much i could hear from the rc speaker(since I always hear very little from if is a matrixed signal). Anyway my receiver Denon 2803 has a a surrond back button, which lets you choose the following choices (for the rcenter)

as from the manual

Off..Playback is conducted without using the surround back speaker

Non Mtrx...Playback is conducted using the surround back speaker. The same signals those of the surround channels are output from the surround back channels

Mtrx on..Playback is conducted using the surround back speaker. Surround back channel is reproduced using digital matrix processing.

Dont both of the 2 matrix options say the same thing in different wording? Anyway I figured non matrx is the correct one..is this always the right choice for all formats 5.1 6.1 or whatever. The reciever detected a true signal for that speaker for either choice

And lastly my denon 1920 while playing castaway, only showed it was playing a 3/2/.1 While my reciever showed it as 3/3/.1 I thought that was strange any ideas

Thanks

And lastly my denon 1920 while playing castaway, only showed it was playing a 3/2/.1 While my reciever showed it as 3/3/.1 I thought that was strange any ideas

If you're receiver display is reading 3/3/.1, it's telling you that it's receiving a 6.1 signal from the DVD source. I venture to guess that your DVD player doesnt have a 3/3/.1 display indicator.

I found it surpising the the dvd player a Denon 1903, which is a good player($500) does"nt read the signal as 6.1. The reciever does so I guess in the end it doesnt matter.

I never got a answer on which surrond back should be selected matrix on or off

Thanks

Put it to Matix On, and forget it.

In the case of this movie, I don't think it matters because there is a discrete signal anyway, but in most cases Matrix On is the way to fly. Anybody who says set it to Matrix Off (tdkamerica) doesn't understand what the setting is for.

There is no reason for Matrix on or off if you are running 6.1. The only time you would use matrix off is if you had Two pairs of surround speakers.

As far as the display on your DVD player, Your player has a decoder built in, correct? If you look on the back panel, there are 3 pairs of analog plugs. If you were to use the DVD player to decode, the max you could get is 5.1. That's why your DVD player displays 3/2.1. The difference is, you are sending a digital signal to the receiver, which is capable of decoding 3/3.1. Both units are doing what they are supposed to do.

You did select the DTS-ES option from the setup menu on the DVD prior to playing it correct? It will not automatically play in DTS, the default setting is Dolby Digital.

My preamp can also take a DD 5.1 signal and upramp it to DD-EX so I essentially watch everything in 7.1. The DTS-ES soundtracks are far more robust and my absolute favorite I wish all DVD's were encoded in DTS-ES. I don't own Castaway but I was watching Pirates of the Carribean - Curse of the Black Pearl in DTS-ES and it sounds amazing.

Put it to Matix On, and forget it.

In the case of this movie, I don't think it matters because there is a discrete signal anyway, but in most cases Matrix On is the way to fly. Anybody who says set it to Matrix Off doesn't understand what the setting is for.

I know exactly what this function is for and you don't need to be so condescending. It's for the AVR to make up a rear channel from the 2 side channels on 5.1 disks and to acknowledge that a matrixed sixth channel is being sent to your rear speakers on 6.1 disks. I prefer to run 5.1 disks with the matrix function set to "OFF".

I stand corrected on the "Castaway" dvd. I forgot that some DTS-ES use a matrixed 6th channel on the disk. "Cast Away" was one of them. "Gladiator" on the other hand uses a discrete 6th channel and gives you the option to choose "Discrete" and you would not choose Matrix. There lies my confusion.

So if it is a true 6.1 discrete signal like gladitor it should be off. But if it is labeled as dts-es. or dd-ex matrix should be on. I am correct here.

Thanks for the help

On the Surround Perimeter menu on my Denon there is an "AFDM" setting that reads the flag on Discrete and most Matrix disks so I don't have to do anything (turn on). I feel like there is a similar setting on yours.

Insofar as the DTS-ES Label I don't know if there is anything that lets you know if it's Matrixed or Discrete until you put it in and the AFDM reads it (I couldn't see any difference on Gladiator or Castaway packaging). My assumption on your AVR is that when you put in Gladiator and the AFDM is "OFF" you will have an option that will say "Discrete on."

Dolby Digital EX is always matrixed.

{edit: I have a Denon AVR-3803 at work. I am looking through the manual at home and I can't find that it differentiates between Matrix and Discrete but it does have the AFDM flag--you may not have a seperate setting for "Discrete"}

I never saw that afdm setting in the settings I will look again. Maybe this model avr does not automatically switch. On my reciever there is a signal detect led. I think if that lights up(which means it is getting a discete signal for the rear center). Then the it sound be non-matrix. if it does not light up it should be matrixed

thanks for the help from all!

Oh I didnt think that question was directed to me that is my son aaron. That picture is probably about 6 months old give or take(about 1 yr old at the time of the photo). He had pasta for dinner and picture says the rest!

Thanks for the help[:)]