JBL 4310 compared to Klipsch Heresy

Frzninvt

These are similar in size and stature, I did a little research and apparently there are a few varieties of the JBL 4310 are some better than others? I realize that they are not super efficient but the bass response must be better than the Heresy. How to the mids & highs stack up.

The reason that I ask is I just purchased a pair of '80 Heresy's for $400 shipped and have an opportunity to do a swap for the 4310's and I am wondering if it is a worthwhile swap.

These were purchased many years ago by an ex-GI overseas, I am not totally sure of the midrange and tweeter orientation but it seems to vary in some models.

I checked eBay and even beat up ones missing parts still sell for good money, one decent pair sold for $300 on a BIN.

I have always been fond of JBL speakers but have never really owned any other than the monster B-380 subwoofer and matching BX-63A that I had with it.

I have a pair of L100T's, the home version of the 4310 studio monitor. Plan on re-foaming the woofers. push on the foam with an eraser to see if they split. The crossovers use bypass caps. I just re capped mine using Daytons bypassed with Audiocap thetas.

Now that the caps are breaking in, they are sounding very good. Listenign to the radio, I can hear detail in the midrange, especially voices, on a crappy 15 year old Denon receiver. The JBL's are more forgiving of bad sources and sound really good with SS (and, as I have learned, have a lot of detail when recapped - had to get rid of those electrolytes).

The L100's (and 43xx studio monitors) seem to be prices very similar to Heresys. Go to Lansing Heritage to get more info.

Chris

I agree with djk - many of jbl's woofers with their well designed boxes are impressive. I also agree that the speakers mate well with SS (probably due to the high freqs being less 'detailed'). My current favorite speakers are my JBL pro homebrews - each with 2404h tweet, 2425h mid with 2370 horn and 2225 15" woof in a jbl speced box. Xovers are 3115 and 3110 with slight mods to accept the 8 ohm config.

The folks here are genuinely helpful:

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/index.php?s=35fc79d972d2f19694496177e88629a9

Beware - not all are Klipsch fans, but more than a few are like me -very much a fan of each. A large number own both Klipsch and JBL.

I just picked up a pair of L100's (the ones with the white woofers). Compared to my Heresys the L100's are actually a little brighter, but probably not as detailed as the horns. Don't know for sure as both have worn out crossovers.

I do need to say that the Heresys are on the carpeted floor like they are designed to be and the JBL's are about 36" off of the floor.

Both are really nice speakers, kind of a toss up. Before gettign rid of your Heresys, listen to them on the floor or mod the crossovers.

I decided to just keep my Heresy's. I did some research and these were some of the very first JBL 4310's since they have the raised baffle that the tweeter and midrange are mounted on with the port to the one side. All my system's are Klipsch based except for my bedroom which is old school Infinity based. So the JBL's did not fit into the equation anywhere.

My wife is going to use them at her workplace with an older Onkyo TX-906 receiver that I was using in my basement until I recently replaced it with a new Onkyo TX-SR503 so she could have the old receiver for her workplace.

Hot car engines and exhausts probably don't help with the intense heat either.

No decks laying around I have a few sets of decent stock speakers kicking around and I can find a decent CD player for cheap I would think. Let me do some research, do you need it to play CDR's? I was thinking older and cheaper.