Tweeter placement

Erland

For my new K-horns I am using the Trachorn for the midband. Since building from scratch, it am not limited by anything except laws of physics.

By placing the tweeter above the considerably higher Trachorn, It will be located higher than listening position.. Placing it vertically of the side is not desisreable the way I see it.

Of given reasons I am planning to place the tweeter below the Trachorn.

Does this make sence?

Yes it makes sense. The attached photo of a La Scala with an inverted top section was posted in the following: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Bass Reflex Mod For La Scala?

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/644842/ShowPost.aspx

On the other hand, putting the tweeter to the side or orienting the tweeter horn vertically, rather than horizontally, might work. The Crites tweeter uses the same horn configuration as the EV T-35, which has good dispersion in either orientation.

I would suggest getting the system operational prior to permanently locating the horns on the baffle boards. Dr. Edgar (the designer of the horn from which the Trachorn was copied) would advise aligning the voice coil of the tweeter with the voice coil of the squawker. Since you are only constrained by the laws of physics (same in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Norway as in USA :-) I suggest experimenting with various locations prior making your final decision.

All of these horns have something called DISPERSION, that means that you dont have to sit directly in the laser beam path of the horn to hear noise. 40x90 degrees for instance is most of the room, anywhere in the general vicinity so you can look down into the throat of the horn is really permissable, really it is.

I think all this placement and angling trouble is a bit of waste of time. Sit off axis a bit, it's usually a bit smoother anyway.

M

Michael,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

You're probably right. I'm sure PWK would have said, " . . not a dime's worth of difference."

Nevertheless, since Erland is starting with a blank sheet of paper, he[1] might as well experiment with the positions of the tweeters and squawkers to decide for himself whether it does make a discernible difference.

[1] In the unlikely event that Erland is a woman, I apologize for presuming a certain level of testosterone.

Erland,

I think any of the ways you suggest mount the tweeter is ok. One thing to point out though: If you're using the K77 / T35, vertical is actually the correct way to mount it! Off to the side dones't seem to have any bad consiquences that I have found. I have had mine mounted vertically "inboard" and with them only one one side. It all sounded fine unless you stick your head in the speaker!

AL K.

The above diagram is specific to the EV T35 tweeter and its ilk.

JBL 2404's are 100x100, if I remember correctly, so it doesn't matter except on the back lobing.

If you are baffle mounting them, I would presume that it wouldn't matter at all. I used mine unbaffled, and the back lobing mattered.

DM