O.T. Big Time Ebay Scammer

BEC

Man, I have been fighting this one most of the day. This guy keeps posting new auctions faster than eBay can catch them. Here is one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220010856988

Notice that all he is trying to do is get people to send him an email at my6ym@yahoo.com

He is using many different stolen eBay accounts and all it takes if for someone to fall for one of his scams before eBay can get it removed. Last time I checked, he had about 800 listings. I reported him this morning when he had a couple of hundred listings and I think eBay closed all of those. He is just continuing to list them quicker than eBay can handle them.

You can find all his listings by doing an advanced search on both title and description for his email address. If they manage to get his auctions closed faster he will just change to another free email address and keep going.

Bob

I am not sure what eBay can do about one like this. Imagine how much trouble this causes. Ebay has to close the listings and lock each of the stolen accounts and notify all the true account owners.

The guy is at 444 listings right now. Must have listed several thousand during the day. I have seen the count as high as around 800 a couple of times and as low as 200. Varies all the time, so I guess eBay has had to devote a person to the project all day.

Anyway, all he has to do is just get another free email address and keep on going undetected for a bit as long as he doesn't run out of stolen accounts.

Bob

OK, I guess he wore out the other email address. Now is using

vaiarex@yahoo.com

125 listed with that email address so far.

I figured out how to follow him as he changes email addresses. Hope eBay can do that too. OR, he could be using several email addresses at once. That is probably it.

Bob

It seems ebay should try the "sting" approach. I wonder how many creeps are doing this? A few weeks ago, I sent a spoof alert to eBay about a dude doing just this. Maybe the same guy. I wonder how he steals IDs, if there is something that can be done to protect one's eBay ID (beyond the obvious).

It seems ebay should try the "sting" approach. I wonder how many creeps are doing this? A few weeks ago, I sent a spoof alert to eBay about a dude doing just this. Maybe the same guy. I wonder how he steals IDs, if there is something that can be done to protect one's eBay ID (beyond the obvious).

I got 7 eBay identity theft attempts yesterday by email. These look like they come from eBay, but if you click any link on these fake emails, you get a log in screen that looks just like the real eBay log in screen. Difference is that the log in screen is hosted by the scammers computer. When you enter your eBay ID and password, he has got your account. He sends out thousands of these a day and he will get a few to "bite".

If people quit clicking on those links, this particular scam method would be over immediately.

Bob

So far, what you folks have discussed is the process they use to get your money. Common factor on success is how they get your email address by requesting you to communicate outside of e-bay. once they have your email address, they send you one of various html emails to get you to respond and land you on one of their bogus sites. Once you login, they have your password. Most folks use the same password on all their accounts.

Now, what happens behind the scenes is how the money is moved.. You have to wonder what type of transactions can not be reverese and what type of accounts are being affiliated with the recieving PayPal accounts.

So far, what you folks have discussed is the process they use to get your money. Common factor on success is how they get your email address by requesting you to communicate outside of e-bay. once they have your email address, they send you one of various html emails to get you to respond and land you on one of their bogus sites. Once you login, they have your password. Most folks use the same password on all their accounts.

Now, what happens behind the scenes is how the money is moved.. You have to wonder what type of transactions can not be reverese and what type of accounts are being affiliated with the recieving PayPal accounts.

They typically just send these attempts out to a bought email list. I have never gotten one sent to my email address that I have for eBay. That is one quick way I can know that these are theft attempts. eBay would send to the right email address.

One good protection strategy might be to have one email address only used for eBay business. As soon as you get a scam email addressed to that address, change to another email address.

Bob

""One good protection strategy might be to have one email address only used for eBay business. As soon as you get a scam email addressed to that address, change to another email address. ""

Yes, and certainly have different passwords for each account.

The dude probably wrote a program that is automating the process. That would be a lot more 'fun' from the perspective of one doing that kind of crap. I vote they track down his ISP and shoot him in the head, but that's just me... [;)]

There is some dude on ebay right now that is selling mcintosh gear at unreasonably low prices. He was on there yesterday, and i swear that he had a different name then. Today the email is: andrew2133@hotmail.com

He says that he is in London. I thought that yesterday he had a ton of feedback from German customers. He wants people to contact him directly thru email...

Another thing that has been happening to me recently. I put bids on several pieces of McIntosh gear at low prices. Hoping that one would sell for good price. The bidding would end, much higher than the bid I placed. I then got several second chance offers from screens that did look exactly like ebay screens. They did not ask for password, but the email sites looked wrong. I sent message to the original seller, and he confirmed that the original sale was valid and there was no second chance offer. The original dorks that sent the second chance offer wanted me to send a money order to some address in california to some yahoo who was to be the intermediary, keep money until the goods were delivered.

Gets pretty frusterating with all of this. I have had some great deals on ebay with honest people. I don't exactly have any stores around here that handle all of the good and used gear. Must remain carefull though.

Paul

Right now the scammer using the email address of: andrew2133@hotmail.com is running 155 scam auctions all tied to that email address. He is using accounts stolen from the following eBay users:

skallen69

maltonsweep

michelleb84

achay2006

Perhaps we could just keep his mailbox full with family pictures of something similar. I wonder what size his hotmail mailbox is? I also wonder if sending proof to an ISP that an email account is being used for illegal activity would get an account closed.

Bob

Do those ebay users know that their accts are being used?

Does it help to report it to ebay, or are they already doing all that they can do at this point.

How would you be able to send him email "junk" without him being able to send us a bunch of stuff back our way, slowing down our systems?

I talked to eBay about this today. They are aware of all these type scams and do appreciate the help in finding them. They will of course close the stolen accounts and contact the real owner about getting the account back in action with new password.

In some cases the scammer will just leave the auctions up a short period of time trying to get some "bites" to his email address then cancel the auction himself. In that case he can use the stolen account more times before the account gets closed. This could go on until the real account owner complains to eBay about the huge number of listing charges to his account. That is why it good to report each case of stolen eBay accounts to eBay.

If you are sure you have seen a stolen eBay account, send an email to:

rswebhelp@ebay.com

Tell them the user IDs of the accounts you think are stolen.

Bob