sonic characteristics of cornwall vs. rf-7

Arky

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK now I understand the fuss over Cornwall's. The bass will punch you, the mids are silky smooth & the highs are clear. Excellent for a 2 channel application. I ran them alone & with my 7's & sub. Very good in whichever configuration I tried though the sound is somewhat different. The cw seems to be wider & not as "in your face" as the 7's. I don't have enough listening time in yet to know which I prefer. Maybe a changeout every few months.

I do know I want some CornScalas.

Wednesday morning I drove the cw's to BEC. I met Bob & his son Michael. Two very nice gentlemen. He spoke nicely of you Dean.[;)] I went to play golf (2 over) & when I got back they were testing them. The networks had been freshened & Bob's tweeters were installed. They were testing outside using some ipod contraption & the cw's sounded great.

We loaded them up & Bob took me into his shop. I haven't been to the Hope Museum but this place can't be much different. Bob has multiple sets of heritage sitting around, tons of vintage amps (tubes & ss) & testing equipment. I could just envision Mr. Klipsch in the 50's.

The LaScalas sounded fantastic, my goodness the clarity, but a little bass shy. He has built a pair of speakers with cutouts for 3 different tweeters so he can send a specific recording to test each quickly, or the other drivers for that matter.

I want some CornScalas.

I saw 2 pairs of CornScalas Bob had completed. Oh man what great sound & these were sitting high on a shelf because he is out of room. There was still great bass & the mids & highs were crystal clear. These will be the next speakers I buy.

I want to thank Bob & Michael for being gracious hosts. I practically barged in on them. I feel very fortunate to have seen & heard what I did. Did I mention I want some CornScalas?

John

John,

Michael and I are glad you came by. You are in a good position to make the comparison RF-7 vs Cornwall with both in excellent working condition. Let us know how the comparison works out.

Bob

RF7 are big and really really loud

CW are big and really really really loud

Big yes but i'm having trouble getting them as loud as the 7's.

Is this Dean's crossover? The 7's sound closer to the LaScalla than the cornwall. I need help here.

Bill, maybe I could come to Cabot & hear your setup.

John,

According to the specs, the RF-7 sensitivity is 102 db at one watt and the Cornwall is 98.5 dB at one watt. If that is correct, you would have to put about twice the power into a Cornwall to match the RF-7.

The Lascala you mentioned is even more efficient at 104 db at one watt.

Bob Crites

John,

According to the specs, the RF-7 sensitivity is 102 db at one watt and the Cornwall is 98.5 dB at one watt. If that is correct, you would have to put about twice the power into a Cornwall to match the RF-7.

The Lascala you mentioned is even more efficient at 104 db at one watt.

Bob Crites

Bob,

That clears it up. I'll forget about spl measure comparisons & just listen to the music & nuances.

I'm using my QSC 425 watt amp on the corns that made the 7's sing. Am I in danger of damaging any drivers? The front end is an Outlaw 990 pre/pro (must be decent quality).

I think the Cornwall is good to about 122 db. After that, the woofer voice coil is launched out of the magnet gap and gets crushed on the way back in. Terry (IBslammin) can give you more specifics from personal experience.

Bob

Well if i was part of the influence i hope it has lived up to your expectations. I know Dean,Tiger and Carl have only used or still us theirs behind a Juicy Music Peach preamp. I am yet to experience the peach but i will say that with my various vintage ss pieces being used as preamps it has been fantastic.

John: I don't have the Cornwall's in the system. I will be doing a veneer job on them this winter as time permit's. Beside's that all I am running here is a cheap Sony HT rig; your Outlaw gear would blow it away.

I was in Circuit City Saturday to pick up a DVD player and they have all of their display model's marked down. It was tempting but not right now. Once I get my Airframe license from the FAA then it will be time to start hunting for some good gear. Bill

John: I don't have the Cornwall's in the system. I will be doing a veneer job on them this winter as time permit's. Beside's that all I am running here is a cheap Sony HT rig; your Outlaw gear would blow it away.

I was in Circuit City Saturday to pick up a DVD player and they have all of their display model's marked down. It was tempting but not right now. Once I get my Airframe license from the FAA then it will be time to start hunting for some good gear. Bill

Good luck on you license. I have more free time in the winter anyway, maybe then. I have never heard Belles & would love to.