DTS vs DD

outcast

whehehe just realised this is my first post outside the PM 5.1 thread Smile.gif

yesterday i watched/heard my first DTS movie but i was very very underwhelmed by it it was by far the worst sounding movie i heard on my set . btw movie in question is " U-571 " after watching this movie i tossed in "fightclub" to check if it where my settings but the sound was great far greater then the dts track from U-571 !? wich baffles me BTW co's DTS outspecs DD by alot .

or is it my DTS decoder ? i now use the videologic digitheatre DTS (cant get the PM's Frown.gif)

try another DTS movie, like gladiator or chicken run. they both have dts, gladiator has DTS EX!!! that is a 6.1 ouput!

i have heard DTS and DD, DTS is much better sounding, also harder to find.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665

olla justino ! did you see "U-571" or anyone else for that matter ? cause you might be right it could be the film that just has a poorly recorded track ! but im still a tad paranoid bout the fact that it could be my decoder .

especialy the voices soundedn realy dull and more into the background as if there was no center and the fx where jus as dull .

dont have any other DTS material at hand right now .

i hear all the time about people talking about whats better , i always thought DTS was beter than DD but i watched jurassic park and they both seemed to be the same , if anything watch starwars ep1 in DD that will rock your house also toy story 2 , DD has come a long way and its right up there with DTS now ,. DTS may have been better in the begining but not any more..

DD EX is the inprovement but plain ol' DD is not, correct? I have not seen U-571 but i heard Gladiator and Chicken RUn and a few others on DD and DTS and DTS was clearly the winner.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665

dts has less 'compression' than dd, so it needs less 'restoration' in the de-coding process.they sound very similar. for a great dvd for pix and sound that has BOTH dd-ex AND dts-es (both are 6.1 formats,adding a center rear channel, but will play in 5.1 if your equipment can't process 6.1)get T-2 metal box edition.gladiator also has dd 5.1 and dts-es.

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 32"tv and sharp xv-z1u lcd projector

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

The other thing to remember when comparing the two, is that a lot of times, the two different versions are mastered at two seperate locations, by different people. I have read that DTS controls the mastering process, so that their engineers are always there to keep it up to their specs. I have also read that the soundtracks could come from two totally different masters. This could be the difference in sound - and not have anything to do with the actual compression algorithm at all.

People say DTS has to be better because it uses less compression. But that has nothing to do with it, unless the two compression algorithms are identical. It could be said that DTS is less efficient, and as far as compression algorithms go, is infereior. They uses different methods to compress the sound, so using the bitrate only is like saying the car with more horsepower is going to automatically be faster, without looking at everything else. (i.e. gear ratios, weight, etc.) In my opinion, the whole DTS is better rumor is just that, a rumor and an old myth. However, it is entirely possible that a DTS soundtrack could sound better than the DD soundtrack, but that would have nothing to do with the DTS compression itself, but rather the other variables I pointed out.

Are there differences in sound - Yes.

I just watched the Disney animation "Dinosaur" this weekend. I watched the entire movie in DTS, since there are hardly ever DTS soundtracks, I usually listen to them when they are on the DVD (just so I can use my DTS decoder). I kept thinking, man the bass just seems too hot, way too overbearing and distorted. So after watching the movie, I tried the DD version of the soundtrack. It sounded much better in my opinion. The surrounds actually came alive, there were surround sounds that I didn't hear as clearly in the DTS version. It seemed the channel seperation was more defined. Also, the bass was more even, and sounded less distorted.

Which is more accurate? I have no idea - but I did prefer the DD version on this one movie. I have concluded that I will just from now on watch all movies with the DD version first, and then check out the DTS soundtrack, if available, and see if it sounds better for demo material. It is way too time consuming to try and figure out which one is better BEFORE I watch and ENJOY the movie. I figure, you might as well stick with what is the industry standard. My opinion of course! Smile.gif

My equipment is listed below, so you can see what I am basing my opinion on.

Bryan

------------------

"... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"

Mistubishi VS60603 60" RPTV

Denon AVR 3802 Receiver

Denon DVM 1800 DVD Changer

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR

RCA DirecTV Satellite Tuner

Klipsch RB5 - Mains

Klipsch RC3 - Center

Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall Surrounds

Velodyne SPL1200 Subwoofer

Monster HTS1000 Power Conditioner

Acoustic Research Pro Series Interconnects

I think it has mostly to do with the people who do the mixing as to what sounds "good" I have three DTS encoded movies. The best sounding DTS movie I have is "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" Then I have "Saving Private Ryan" which is ok. I then have "Interview with a Vampire" - did not impress me at all.

But I also have some really good sounding DD movies, "Titanic" and The Matrix" really sound good

So it all boils down to whoever is doing the Mixing of the tracks, same as CD's.

Hagood- Yes "Saving Private Ryan" DTS or DD I bought the DTS version which also has DD

Rick

also, some receivers have different eq and bass management for dd/dts, not sure about yours.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 32"tv and sharp xv-z1u lcd projector

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Test Gladiator and Terminator 2 metal box. Both have both DD and DTS 6.1. That way you can compare the differences.

I tend to prefer the DTS versions. They seem to have more dynamic range based on my limited listening experience with the two formats.

------------------

Bob Lindabury

SPEAKERS

Fronts: Cornwalls (2)

Center: KLF-C7 (1)

Rears: RS-3's (2)

Sub: AudioSource SW-15

Rear Center: Umm...any suggestions?

AMP: Sony STR-DB1070 6.1

MISC:

Hafler DH-200 Amp;Yamaha C-50 Pre-Amp; Nakamichi 482 Cassette Deck; Technics SL-1410MK2 Turntable; Sony DVP-S360 DVD

i just tested the bitrates of DTS versus DD in the 5.1 mode.

DD 5.1= 448Kbps

DTS 5.1= 768kbps (note, durng the intro to Gladiator, the DTS introduction, the bitrate was at 1536 KBPS)

So, going by bitrates, DTS wins hands down. I guess they hav eto lower the DTS bitrate on DVD's so they can fit it. I was testing both on Gladiater which has like 4 different sound tracks on it, or more including the commentary, so they have to compromise sometimes!

This should help in the debate Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150