Cutting 511 fin welds?

freddyi

will a hacksaw slice suffice so cut welds will open enough w/o touching/scraping? - all got and it needs a blade.

does the fin cuts usually take out the major ring modes?

what's your fave damping that gives a musical sounding result without over deadening or odd timbre?

ow others may not agree ...

but here's MY opinion...........

bolt the horn back into something, and use it like Altec intended.

with the fiberglass in the cheeks.

i personally don't subscribe to the fin-cutting thing....

What ...??

ya think them Altec engineers didn't know better ,,, ???

Duke,

"ya think them Altec engineers didn't know better ,,, ???"

They did... they started cutting the welds from the factory on later 511Bs as well as leaving out the stiffener down in the throat. I have a factory 511 like this.

Even bolted to a baffle with all 6 bolts the lips on the 511B can be set to ring very easily from across the room.

Plumbers Putty on one of the lips damps that down very very well though and is easy to do. I did some recording comparing before/after of this awhile back. It is readily obvious.

Shawn

I'm in agreement with Duke. I wouldn't cut the fins. They don't make these anymore and there are many other ways to dampen the so called "ringing" without destroying the horn. Try some modeling clay and/or Dynomat before you make any cuts.

I'm in agreement with Duke. I wouldn't cut the fins. They don't make these anymore and there are many other ways to dampen the so called "ringing" without destroying the horn. Try some modeling clay and/or Dynomat before you make any cuts.

I agree with the above - it is a bit like classic cars. Do you keep them original (my preference) or do you hot rod them? I think you will find solutions with the good qualities of the 511 without the ringing issue, however - if the chore to refurbish to original is no greater than the fin cutting then I might well cut the fins....