Help Needed: Music Advice

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which Streisand lp(s) would you keep, or what are your top 1 or 2. Which Fogelberg lp's are your top top.

Travis

I like Fogelberg's Souvenirs, and Nether Lands. Basically, anything before 1976. As for Streisand I have her Greatest Hits, which ain't bad when the moment calls for it. [:D]

Mike

• Moderators

The Carpenters, for sure! My Carpenters recordings have an amazing clarity that brings out the quality, personality and meaning of Karen's voice. If the Art Garfunkel is actually Simon and Garfunkel, give that a listen, too.

Otherwise, being a classical guy, I also would get rid of all the rest.

Larry,

Which Carpenter's lp(s) in particualr do you like. I have Close to You, Passage, Horizon, SIngles 69-81and Carpenters. No, the Art Garfunkle (I havel all the S & G lp's and would never get rid of those) is just Art, Watermark and Breakaway. Trivia question, what was the name of the duo that Simon and Garfunkel first performed under?

Travis

• Moderators

Whatever you do, don't throw any it it away. No matter how much you might not care for something it is a big world - for someone somewhere it's their favorite.

Pauln,

I would never throw away vinyl, I agree, it is bound to be somebody's favorite even if it is not mine. I just wanted to get peoples thoughts about these artists since I have multiple copies of just about every lp these groups/individuals put out and I just wanted to see if any one thought that something they put out was worth a listen. I am either selling, trading or going to donate these lp's in the near future and was wondering if anything was worth a listen. I was prompted to post this because several months ago I recall somebody posting about listening to Barbara Striesand and said something to the effect of "don't laugh, the ______________ lp is great, and I have never heard her sound so good on Klipsch. I don't have time to listen to all of them, but I would for sure listen to anything that someone was worth at least a try. If I like it great, I will make sure to keep a good copy, if not, then off it goes.

I don't think I could ever throw away an lp.

Travis

• Moderators

Well, you mention artists but not titles.

If the REO Speedwagon is pre-Hi Infidelity (1979 I believe) it is very much worth listening to. You Can Tune A Fish But You Can't Tune A Piano was their last great album in 1978. Their double live album from 1976 (You Get What You Play For) kicks major *** (I saw them on this tour)! They are still to this day one of the best live acts I have ever seen.

As for Chicago, if it is 1 thru 5 it is worth keeping. Chicago V on vinyl sounds incredible (if it's an original pressing)!

If the Fogelberg is pre-1976 (Souveneirs, Netherlands, etc) it too is worth listening too.

I also like Hall and Oates pre-1978.

If the Pablo Cruise is "Place in the Sun" it is worth listening to.

If the Little River Band is "Diamantina Cocktail" it is worth listening to.

Just mho...

Mike

Mike,

I have everything these groups put out, multiple copies in fact, and I really appreciate your comments. I will give Can tune a fish a try (how many times have your heard High Infidelity). The Chicago are all original pressings so I will give them a spin, I heard Chicago Transit Authority is especially good. I have Diamantia Cocktail so I will give that a spin.

You like all of the pre-'78 Hall and Oates. Like War Babies, Along the Red Ledge ('78), Bigger then the Two of Us. How about Live at the Apollo?

Pre '76 Fogelberg I have would be Home Free, Captured Angel, Nether Lands, Souvenirs, and Twin Sons ('78).

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Travis

• Moderators

Which Streisand lp(s) would you keep, or what are your top 1 or 2. Which Fogelberg lp's are your top top.

Travis

Is that a joke or a trick question? You would have to pay me a large sum of money to listen to anything by Streisand.[+o(]

Gary,

That is the whole reason for my post. I am with you 100%. I buy a collection, this other stuff comes with it and goes into boxes, when it get up to about 7 or 8 boxes my wife starts complaining and then it is time to sell em, trade em, or donate them. Normally I would box up Streisand and have it out the door without a second thought. However, I would like to think that I have become more open minded about music, and a number of other things, since joining this fourm so I thought I would put these names out there to see if anyone thought something was worth a listen.

I'm about the same age as you and therefore it would be impossible not to know every song on the Singles lp. I bet Michael has heard We've Only Just Begun about 300 times over the years at weddings. Remember the Volkswagon commercial based on that song, or the Coke commercial? I was just looking for comments about what might be worth giving a try since most of this stuff I have never heard on as good a system as I have now and I just might be surprised. Not that my system is great on anything, I just meant that I heard most of these songs on the my g/f's car radio, a girl's house, in a movie, or at a club/dance. So that sound was not all that great and thought some of these might be surprising on a better then average system. For example, I wasn't going to admit it but I played the Pablo Cruise LP Find Your Place before I made this post just because I remember that tune going round and round in my head (they were very popular in the Bay Area and they played that and World's Away to death) and so I thought I would give the rest of the lp a chance. THere was actually two other tracks on there that were quite good so I am going to keep that lp (underneath the rack and out of sight of course). So, I am going to give these suggestions a try with an open mind and maybe I will find some more keepers. If not, at least I will know why I hated them to begin with.[:)]

So I apprecaite any and all suggestions.

Travis

• Moderators

Air Supply.........PULL!...........What, NO David Gates and Bread?.......PULL!.........I'm Sorry, the Devil made me do it.....................[6].......Little River Band.........PULL!.......

That's what I originally thought, but I thought I would see if anyone thought differently, and I have gotten a few suggestions. Again, to reinterate, these were not LP's originally pruchased by me. They were either part of collections or a closed music store I purchased and have ended up with a lot of duplicates. By the way I have 6 copies of Best of Bread so let me know when you and Duke want to get together and I will bring my Perazzi.

Travis

• Moderators

I will echo the comment that you didn't meniton the name of the albums. There are songs from most every one of them that I like. Yah I was in high school when many of these groups were popular, AM radio was where it was at![:$]

I did not want to take up too much space, but here are the names of the LP's:

Artist/Composer Title Quantity

Air Supply Lost in Love 3

Air Supply Now and Forever 1

Air Supply The One That You Love 4

Anne Murray Anne Murray - Greatest Hits 1

Armatrading, Joan Back to the Night 1

Armatrading, Joan Joan Armatrading 1

Armatrading, Joan Me Myself I 1

Armatrading, Joan The Shouting Stage 1

Armatrading, Joan Show Some Emotion 1

Armatrading, Joan Walk Under Ladders 1

Branigan, Laura Branigan 1

Branigan, Laura Branigan 2 1

Branigan, Laura Self Control 1

Bread Best Of Bread 2 4

Bread Best Of Bread, The 6

Bread Bread 1

Bread Manna 1

Captain & Tennille Come in from the Rain 3

Captain & Tennille Dream 3

Captain & Tennille Love Will Keep Us Together 1

Captain & Tennille Make Your Move 1

Captain & Tennille Song of Joy 3

Carnes, Kim Barking at Airplanes 1

Carnes, Kim Café Racers 1

Carnes, Kim Mistaken Identity 1

Carnes, Kim Mistaken Identity 2

Carnes, Kim Romance Dance 1

Carnes, Kim Romance Dance 1

Carpenters, The Carpenters

Carpenters, The Close To You

Carpenters, The Horizon

Carpenters, The Passage

Carpenters, The Singles 1969-1981

Chicago 1 through 18 plus,

Hot Streets, Greatest Hits '82-'89, Greatest Hits Vol. 2, The Heart of Chicago '67-97, The Heart of Chicago Vol. II,

Chilliwack Dreams, Dreams, Dreams 1

Chilliwack Lights From The Valley 3

Chilliwack Opus X 2

Chilliwack Wanna Be a Star 1

Coolidge, Rita Anytime...Anywhere 1

Coolidge, Rita Fall into Spring 1

Coolidge, Rita Love Me Again 1

Cummings, Burton Burton Cummings 1

Cummings, Burton Burton Cummings 2

Cummings, Burton Dream Of A Child 1

Dan, England Nights Are Forever 1Dan, England Nights Are Forever 2

Dan, England & John Ford Coley Best of England Dan & John Ford Coley 1

Dan, England & John Ford Coley Dr.Heckle And Mr.Jive 2

Dan, England & John Ford Coley I Hear Music 1

Dan, England & John Ford Coley Some Things Don't Come Easy 1

Dan, England & John Ford Coley The Very Best of England Dan & John Ford Coley 1

Diamond, Neil Beautiful Noise 1

Diamond, Neil Gold 1

Diamond, Neil Headed for the Future 1

Diamond, Neil Heartlight 1

Diamond, Neil His 12 Greatest Hits 1

Diamond, Neil Hot August Night 1

Diamond, Neil I'm Glad You're Here with Me Tonight 2

Diamond, Neil Jonathan Livingston Seagull 1

Diamond, Neil Love at the Greek 1

Diamond, Neil Moods 1

Diamond, Neil On the Way to the Sky 1

Diamond, Neil Primitive 1

Diamond, Neil September Morn 1

Diamond, Neil Serenade 1

Diamond, Neil Stones 1

Diamond, Neil Sweet Caroline 1

Diamond, Neil Tap Root Manuscript 1

Diamond, Neil The Jazz Singer 1

Diamond, Neil Touching You, Touching Me 1

Diamond, Neil You Don't Bring Me Flowers 3

Fogelberg, Dan Captured Angel 1

Fogelberg, Dan Greatest Hits 1

Fogelberg, Dan Home Free 1

Fogelberg, Dan Nether Lands 2

Fogelberg, Dan Phoenix 1

Fogelberg, Dan Souvenirs 1

Fogelberg, Dan The Innocent Age 1

Fogelberg, Dan & Tim Weisberg Twin Sons Of Different Mothers 1

Gibb, Andy Shadow Dancing 1

Gibb, Barry Now Voyager 1

Hall & Oates Along the Red Ledge 1

Hall & Oates Big Bam Boom 6

Hall & Oates Bigger Than the Both of Us 3

Hall & Oates H2O 5

Hall & Oates Live at the Apollo 2

Hall & Oates Ooh Yeah! 1

Hall & Oates Private Eyes 1

Hall & Oates Rock 'N' Soul Pt. 1: Greatest Hits 1

Hall & Oates Voices 3

Hall & Oates War Babies 1

Hall, Daryl 3 Hearts in the Happy Ending Machine 3

Little River Band Diamantina Cocktail 1

Little River Band First Under the Wire 1

Little River Band Monsoon 1

Little River Band Sleeper Catcher 1

Little River Band The Net 1

Little River Band Time Exposure 1

Loggins & Messina Mother Lode 1

Loggins & Messina Native Sons 1

Loggins & Messina On Stage 1

Loggins & Messina Sittin' In 1

Loggins & Messina So Fine 1

Loggins & Messina The Best of Friends 1

Loggins, Kenny Back to Avalon 1

Loggins, Kenny Celebrate Me Home 1

Loggins, Kenny Keep the Fire 5

Loggins, Kenny Nightwatch 1

Loggins, Kenny Vox Humana 1

Manchester, Melissa Don't Cry Out Loud 1

Manchester, Melissa Hey Ricky 1

Manchester, Melissa Singin' 1

Pablo Cruise A Place in the Sun 4

Pablo Cruise Part of the Game 2

Pablo Cruise Reflector 5

Pablo Cruise Worlds Away 7

Parr, John John Parr 1

REO Speedwagon [1982] Good Trouble 1

REO Speedwagon Decade of Rock & Roll '70-'80 1

REO Speedwagon Hi Infidelity 6

REO Speedwagon The Hits 1

REO Speedwagon Life As We Know It 1

REO Speedwagon Nine Lives 4

REO Speedwagon R E O Speedwagon 1

REO Speedwagon R.E.O. 1

REO Speedwagon Ridin' the Storm Out 1

REO Speedwagon T.W.O. 1

REO Speedwagon This Time We Mean It 1

REO Speedwagon Wheels Are Turnin' 1

REO Speedwagon You Can Tune A Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish 3

Seals & Crofts Diamond Girl 1

Seals & Crofts Get Closer 1

Seals & Crofts Greatest Hits 1

Seals & Crofts I'll Play for You 1

Seals & Crofts Longest Road 1

Seals & Crofts Sudan Village 1

Seals & Crofts Summer Breeze 1

Seals & Crofts Year of Sunday 1

Sebastian, John John B. Sebastian 1

Streisand, Barbra Barbra Streisand - Greatest Hits 1

Streisand, Barbra Barbra Streisand's Greatest Hits, Vol. 2 1

Streisand, Barbra Emotion 1

Streisand, Barbra Guilty 1

Streisand, Barbra Memories 4

Streisand, Barbra Stoney End 2

Streisand, Barbra Streisand Superman 4

Streisand, Barbra The Broadway Album 2

Streisand, Barbra The Second Barbra Streisand Album 3

Streisand, Barbra The Way We Were 1

Streisand, Barbra; Paul Williams A Star Is Born (1976 Film) 1

Vannelli, Gino A Pauper in Paradise 1

Vannelli, Gino Brother to Brother 1

Vannelli, Gino Crazy Life 1

Vannelli, Gino Powerful People 1

Vannelli, Gino The Gist of the Gemini 1

Warnes, Jennifer Jennifer Warnes 1

Warnes, Jennifer Shot through the Heart 1

Warnes, Jennifer The Hunter 1

Welch, Bob Bob Welch 1

Welch, Bob French Kiss 1

Welch, Bob Three Hearts 1

Wright, Gary Dream Weaver 1

Wright, Gary Light of Smiles 1

Wright, Gary Light of Smiles 6

Wright, Gary Who I Am 1

Wright, Gary Who I Am 1

So that is the list

Travis

Air Supply.........PULL!...........What, NO David Gates and Bread?.......PULL!.........I'm Sorry, the Devil made me do it.....................[6].......Little River Band.........PULL!.......

That's what I originally thought, but I thought I would see if anyone thought differently, and I have gotten a few suggestions. Again, to reinterate, these were not LP's originally pruchased by me. They were either part of collections or a closed music store I purchased and have ended up with a lot of duplicates. By the way I have 6 copies of Best of Bread so let me know when you and Duke want to get together and I will bring my Perazzi.

Travis

You don't have to make excuses...........................Travis I'm only kidding you, Music has many roads it travels down, and means different things to different people, that's the beauty of it, there is something for everybody, not matter what your tastes, people need to enjoy what they like, and not listen to narrow minded people like me, who think the Sun rises and sets with Rock Music, Classic Rock that is...........I can't speak for anyone but me, I'm just poking some harmless fun at you, I really don't mean any harm, but deep down I think you know that............It's a nice gesture on your part to offer those albums to other members.....................As for Duke, if we do come, Hi Infidelity is mine, that album killed those guys for me, any chance of getting a couple of copies of Best of Bread to practice on?..........................Any Kenny Chesney or Tim McGraw........PULL..........ooops

. By the way I have 6 copies of Best of Bread so let me know when you and Duke want to get together and I will bring my Perazzi.

Travis

Saaay, Travis ....oldBUCKster

ifn' ya ever get up this way, I belong to Rochester Brooks GC......

we have an outstanding 5 stand course, and I have cases 'n cases of #8 shot.......[:D]

Barbara Striesand ........

PULL ...!!

take that, you liberal *****

Thanks for posting.

Case in point.

Most guys might not even know who Burton Cummings is. He was the very talented singer/songwriter of the Canadian 60's rockers The Guess Who. Think Michael McDonald about a decade earlier. Golden pipes, great honky-tonk piano and to my ear, excellent songwriting ability of catchy sing-along tunes.

So that's one I'd give a listen to. I've never heard any of his solo works- so if you don't care for em, put em in the Colter Box!

Joan Armantrading is one of those singer/songwriters (as is much of this collection) that you will either love or PULL....But give it a spin first..

This is one of the reasons I need my turntable in close proximity to a small desk with chair, at least for a while. I want to sift through the many LP's that have been bestowed upon me, make some decisions on what to keep and send the rest to another friend in the LP circle.

Bob Welch was with Fleetwood Mac for a bit, maybe kinda similar but different. One of his LP's, French Kiss, I think, has Playboy Playmate Karen Hafter on the cover. A dark skinned brunette with killer lips. She reminds me of an old flame. I'd love that one just for the cover!

Michael

btw, yes I LIKE David Gates and Bread, and Neil Diamond has some killer pieces out there. Start with Hot August Night. Great cover there also.

I'd definitely be interested in some 'hand me downs' of this collection as you sift through them. In return I could send you some pop, rock, and jazz from the many I'm sorting.

Michael

• Moderators

btw, yes I LIKE David Gates and Bread, and Neil Diamond has some killer pieces out there. Start with Hot August Night. Great cover there also.

I'd definitely be interested in some 'hand me downs' of this collection as you sift through them. In return I could send you some pop, rock, and jazz from the many I'm sorting.

Michael

Michael,

You got it buddy, let me know what you want a copy of and I will sort threw them and pick out the best covers and vinyl. I really wasn't posting these on here to sell to forum members, my preference is trade them to a local record store I deal with, he gives me credit for 70% of what he can sell them for. Some, even though they might have high book value have no real value to him and so it is some times better for me to donate them and take the write off. My first preference is to trade for other records and it will be great to listen to whatever you send.

Travis

• Moderators

Travis

Saaay, Travis ....oldBUCKster

ifn' ya ever get up this way, I belong to Rochester Brooks GC......

we have an outstanding 5 stand course, and I have cases 'n cases of #8 shot.......[:D]

Barbara Striesand ........

PULL ...!!

take that, you liberal *****

In that case I will bring my Krieghoff SC gun and we will have some fun. I hope you have plenty of AA Handicap (high base silver hull) 'cause it going to take some omph to "powder" vinyl.

Travis

Off this list I would keep:

Armatrading, Joan Me Myself I (this is a great album on vinyl... I wear my copy out. Give it a chance)
Bread, Best of Bread (there is always a time and a place for this one)
Chicago 1 through 5 (These are all keepers,,, put on Chicago V side one right now and enjoy)
Fogelberg, Dan Home Free (Forgot about this one)
Fogelberg, Dan Nether Lands
Fogelberg, Dan Souvenirs
Fogelberg, Dan & Tim Weisberg Twin Sons Of Different Mothers
Little River Band Diamantina Cocktail
Loggins & Messina Native Sons
Loggins & Messina Sittin' In
Pablo Cruise A Place in the Sun
REO Speedwagon Ridin' the Storm Out
REO Speedwagon You Can Tune A Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish
Wright, Gary Dream Weaver

Mike

• Moderators

Armatrading, Joan Me Myself I (this is a great album on vinyl... I wear my copy out. Give it a chance)

Chicago 1 through 5 (These are all keepers,,, put on Chicago V side one right now and enjoy)

Fogelberg, Dan Souvenirs

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I will give them a spin and let you know what I think.

Travis

• Moderators

Fogelberg, Dan Souvenirs

Mike

Mike,

I have been spining your suggestions, it has taken me longer then I would have liked but I got sidetracked about a tuner. Here is what I have to say so far:

Great advice on Diamantina Cocktail, the first two tracks of side one sell the lp and make it a definite keeper. There are incredible harmonies in some of those songs. I could do without "Happy Anniv." Where that song came from is beyond me. The chorus was so repetitive it reminded me of the song of the same name sung by Fred and Barrny on the Flintstones.

Chicago Transit Authority (I) always loved this LP so this was a given, I have it on the original issue with the "360" Sound" label.

Chicago II, very good suggestion, I had forgotten what was on this LP, it is superb. Mike is going to really like this LP for trade if he wants it. Sweet.

III, A few songs were great, I don't like it as near as much as I or II, but could be a keeper.

Got tired of Chicago, so went to Pablo Cruise, as I mentioned before, I spent a good chunk growing up in the Bay Area so they played Pablo all the time, actually to the point where they ruined Your Place and Worlds Away. But there were some excelent songs on Find Your Place and it is a definite keeper. Will dig it out again in another 5 years for some nice change.

I will let you know on the others but so far you are at least 3 for 4. I am shocked that no one recommended that I keep/try Chilliwack[:P] Guess that is the price Canadians pay for subsidized music. Hard to believe they were actually able to release, at least, 5 lp's.

I have multiple copies of all of Seals and Crofts, but not sure I can listen to Summer Breeze, but it might sound really good on KHorns. I am not sure if they put out anything else worth a try.

Travis