Help Needed: Music Advice

• Moderators

At the time I posted this, the following folks were listed as being online. A pretty good crew, in my opinion, to give me some advice on some groups, artists: Coytee, spyderracer393, joshieca, DrWho, freddyi, Precision, colterphoto1, tigerwoodKhorns, Spongeworthy, dwilawyer, speakerfritz, wwh, SamS, jacksonbart, boomer9911, Parrot, pmsummer, Duke Spinner, rcarlton, bkrop, marems

I am getting rid of a bunch of vinyl shortly, and before I did, wanted some input from forum members as to whether any of the following have an LP that is worth "at least a listen." I promise I won't complain about any suggestions, or hold a grudge because someones idea of great is different then mine. Like I said, "worth a listen" is good enough for me. So here they are, please let me know if you can think of anything they have that is worth me spinning.

Thanks,

Travis

Barbara Streisand

REO Speedwagon

England Dan and John Ford Coley

I will add some more in a minute

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Here are some more, I have just about every lp these bands/artists put out so anything you think they have done that is worth at least a listen would be much apprecaited.

Thanks,

Travis

Air Supply

Anne Murray

Captain & Tennille

The Carpenters

Chicago

Chilliwack

Neil Diamond

Dan Fogelberg

Art Garfunkel

Hall & Oates

Little River Band

Loggins & Messina

Kenny Loggins

Olivia Newton-John

Pablo Cruise

Leo Sayer

Gino Vannelli

Gary Wright

Of this list, I always liked Gary Wright, Dream Weaver, Chicago 7 and 8, Gino Vannelli (People Gotta Move, I Just Wanna Stop), Hall and Oates (Sara Smile) and of course Loggins and Messina just for the folkiness.

Actually, I have a some of your list of 70's on vinyl. [:D]

Whatever you do, don't throw any it it away. No matter how much you might not care for something it is a big world - for someone somewhere it's their favorite.

I aquired a record collection years ago from an Austin radio station that included amost a dozen records by Buffy St. Marie - to me it was unlistenable, as were many records in the collection. I mentioned her to some coworkers at the time who were first generation from Vietnam. It turned out that within this demographic is a subcult of Buffy St. Marie lovers, they were all familiar with her songs and extremely interested in the records. All of them had heard them growing up and some of their parents had learned English by listening to her records. I made them very happy giving them her complete set, which was nice because I might have dropped them into a dumpster without another thought.

http://www.creative-native.com/biograp.htm

I haven't heard about 90% of those names...[:o]

I think most of these are mid 70's high delevopment popular mainstream (high water mark) before the devolution into Disco in the late 70's.

Before Disco, in the 60's and 70's people tended to listen to their music for it's own sake, and there was an extraordinary variety and diversity of music - almost everything had an exploratory aspect to it without fear of rejection nor adherance to templated formats.

With Disco, the dancing, drinking, dating scene became more important to many than the music. The music styles all sort of focused into a narrow formula and format. Even after Disco faded away, the alignment of current music to rigid forms, limited instruments, and schematic styles of playing and singing unfortunately continued up to today - even though most younger listeners today do not realize this and beleive they are on the creative edge.

The Carpenters, for sure! My Carpenters recordings have an amazing clarity that brings out the quality, personality and meaning of Karen's voice. If the Art Garfunkel is actually Simon and Garfunkel, give that a listen, too.

Otherwise, being a classical guy, I also would get rid of all the rest.

I am not Knocking all those albums, Many people like those Artists, those are some pretty much down the Middle of the Road type music, not loud, not brash, nothing earth-shattering, just Muzak..............Many Love those albums, this old fart doesn't, doesn't mean I'm right, just I like a different style of Music........To the right person those albums are some of the Best in that genre of Music.................Different Strokes for Different Folks...How true it is.............

Well, you mention artists but not titles.

If the REO Speedwagon is pre-Hi Infidelity (1979 I believe) it is very much worth listening to. You Can Tune A Fish But You Can't Tune A Piano was their last great album in 1978. Their double live album from 1976 (You Get What You Play For) kicks major *** (I saw them on this tour)! They are still to this day one of the best live acts I have ever seen.

As for Chicago, if it is 1 thru 5 it is worth keeping. Chicago V on vinyl sounds incredible (if it's an original pressing)!

If the Fogelberg is pre-1976 (Souveneirs, Netherlands, etc) it too is worth listening too.

I also like Hall and Oates pre-1978.

If the Pablo Cruise is "Place in the Sun" it is worth listening to.

If the Little River Band is "Diamantina Cocktail" it is worth listening to.

Just mho...

Mike

Saaaaay .......

OldBUCKster .....

care to go shootin' ....???..........[:)]

i'm whippin' out that REO disc first ........[:)]

Sign Me Up, If it's High Infidelity by REO it's Mine..........................

Those are good Soft Rock Albums which many people like............PULL,........sorry![:D]

The Carpenters for sure. The brown LP called "The Singles" has about every hit you'd need and the recording, like Larry pointed out, is great. A bit corny but nice on occasion.

Chicago I, II and V are keepers. If you have an original 2-eye copy of I and want to send it my way, I'd be grateful. Although mine is a bit beat up, it still sounds great. Give it a listen though. I'm sure you've heard most of the songs.

That's all that would interest me from the list.

I will echo the comment that you didn't meniton the name of the albums. There are songs from most every one of them that I like. Yah I was in high school when many of these groups were popular, AM radio was where it was at![:$]

AM Radio...............I Hear That!!!....................

I echo the comments about keeping any early Chicago and Carpenters. Most of the rest has spotty careers, worth would be dependent on the album title, condition, and interest level. Maybe some S&G, depending on what it was. Definitely keep Chicago at Carnegie Hall if you have it- 4 LP set, or their first CTA.

PULL!