DAT Recorders - 1000% markups ?!

Tron

Well... I thought maybe I'd try to find a good deal on a portable DAT recorder for making some high quality digital samples of all sorts for making music and sound effects. Oh, and since I would have the good recorder, for lectures as well. And then I found what I was looking for from several dealers only to get a very sobering dose of sticker shock.

cwm24.gif

For as long as DAT technology has been around, why must they charge such outrageous prices for the DAT-based products? I can understand that the DAT tech is considered a 'professional' standard (if that's what you want to call it), but why must the most inexpensive portable DAT recorder still be in that 'professional' realm (the "you'll never get enough benefit out of me to justify my cost" realm)?

cwm21.gif

check out this one... a little better...

http://www.sweetwater.com/products/tascam/dap1.html

The Fostex PD-4 Portable Timecode DAT features a precision built four-head transport for confidence monitoring, a three-channel input mixer, Jam sync & four timecode modes. Each input features a three position attenuator, LCR pan & selectable filtering as well as P48V.

An ergonomic design ensures intuitive usage in the most awkward situations, and a rugged moisture proof design ensures reliability in extremes.

it costs $150

pd4.JPG

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665

FOSTEX PD-4 portable DAT recorder w/TC $150

http://www.donlinte.com/level2/pd4.htm

Donlin Teleproduction Engineering

50 Hunt Street Watertown, MA 02472

Phone: 1-800-4-DONLIN or 617-923-1669

Fax: 617-924-0144 / Email: info@donlinte.com

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665

The $150 price is for rental. The Sony for under a grand is pretty good for a portable DAT. Try this at American Musical Supply:

http://www.americanmusical.com/item.asp?UID=2001110810032271&menu=&keyword=&item=TAS+DAP1

The Tascam prtable is about $1500. You can get their component models for around $500 on scratch and dent sales or whatever, like the D30 or D40. I have a D30 MKII, but is cost me about a grand three years ago. Excellent, but it only has line ins and outs (digital and analog) You can't hear it while it is running, as opposed to the ADAT (8 tracks, 20 bit audio). The transport in it is pretty noisy.

Marvel

are you critisising me? cwm14.gif I just try to help where i can.

i did change my sig for you. when ppl start to complain that my sig is over 3 lines i will just say to go after foresthump... cwm1.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665

I am an amateur, if it is professional Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call toll free: 1-800-KLIPSCH (1-800-554-7724)

Other Important Numbers

Return Authorization (RA#) Fax Number

317-860-9140

Parts Department Fax Number

317-860-9150

HA HA HA

Justin,get back to the ProMedia section and let the pros take care of High-End cwm4.gif I know you need to get your counter going. Wink.gif

This is funny,a Fostex DAT for $150!LOL Sure and they also sell a Nagra D digital recorder for $200.

LOL

It aint the ProMedia world Justin,serious gear costs serious green.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

still though, what are they for and why are they so expensive?

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

They are for (primarily) on-site recording of musical events.

They are highly portable and provide just about the best recording (measured by signal to noise ratio, dynamic range, dependability) of any available technology.

They are expensive because they are FEARSOMELY complex little widgets to build and are sold in limited (relatively) numbers. Wanna guess how much a 8mm digital camcorder would cost if Sony only sold a few hundred or thousand per year?

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

ahhh... well called my dad at work, has has 5 of them, paid $2000-5000 for each. he explained the whole system, and Ray is right in all aspects, infact, i had to stop my dad cause he was getting WAY to indepth about these things... LoL! actually, still on the phone about it right now. i asked if he ever used them, he said no, never been used and probably will never be used.. LoL! what a waste. Frown.gif he has all the cool gadgets because of his job. well, he used to be a videographer for a living, now he is a PR person, but still owns his own company,Scott Video Productions. we have all kinds of cool gadgets and the best part of all, he can write off say, ProMEdia 5.1 purchases against his taxes since he will hook it up to his Avid! LoL!

Yeah, so maybe i can get him to part with one of his DAT recorders. If he does want to sell them, don't think he wil sell them for ful price. He sold a basically new Nikon F4, reatils for well over $1000-$2000, with lenses and case, for about $400. I will try to convince him, don't know what brands or models, he said he would get someone to run over to the studio later to find out... hope he remembers...

------------------

-justin

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

correction, $400-5000 each, not $2000-5000.

------------------

-justin

DATs only record 16bit audio, the same as standard audio CDs. They work like a VCR in miniature, with a rotating head, so they can get a high enough data rate. An ADAT XT20 uses 20 bit, which gives a ton more detail. Folks who now use hard disc recorders or record on their PCs often use 24 bit/96Khz AD?DA converters. Incredible dynamic range and headroom, NO wow and flutter, almost zero noise. Big multi track recorders like the ones Sony uses for studio work run around $150k each for 48 tracks the last time I looked. Still not talking about outboard gear, mix desk, speakers, microphones, janitor, maintenance, rent ... Only someone with a rich uncle can go into the studio business. Then you still need talent. GIGO.

Eats up disk space like crazy. All those master tracks get dumped back down to 16 bit for the CDs. What a shame.

Marvel