Sold!!! a Custom Dynaco ST-70!

Clarence

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Macs at Hope were the MC 30's monos.

So, are these amps (here comes the novice type ?'s): push pull.

They are not SET's, correct.?

Will they power the Khorns to adeq loudness. I don't like to listen as loud as we often listened in Hope, but I do like to crank it up sometimes.

I would be using my MX 134 Mac as the pre for now. Would then get tubed preamp in the future.

So, any ideas, Thanks, Paul

Those threads discussed the many things that sometimes have to be changed or updated in the amps. Are they referring to the vintage amps that need so much work. I am not really up to trying to mod out the amps. Are your amps newer, I assume. So would they not need all of the changes mentioned in the above noted thread?

Are they fairly easy to bias? Is there much else that would need to be done to them on a regular basis?

Thanks again,

Paul

Have not heard that specific version of the ST70, but I do own an updated ST70 and have owned MC 30s in the past. In my opinion, while they are similar in design, I prefer by a huge margin the MC 30s. I am not saying that one or the other is better but they sound significantly different and I very much prefer the Mac sound. If you are looking for the Mac Sound, get a Mac!

Josh

they have a two simple bias screws on the chassis in the middle. they are easily biased with a screwdriver. I have never touched the builders settings.

I have never seen a mcintosh tube amp in this condition for $550. thanks for your positive opinions.

I didnt say that the Macs would cost the same. I only said that in my opinion they sound different. Me Loves Horns asked specifically if this amp sounded like the MC 30s. I am saying that in my opinion it most certainly does not. So if that is what he is looking for he will be disapointed.

For what its worth, $550 for your amp is a smoking deal and he could not do better for a modded ST70 in that condition. You should be commended for offering it here first.

Josh

Me Loves Khorns

You've asked a question which initally may be tough to answer, but in thinking about it, it becomes clearer to answer. The character of the ST-70 can not be compared to the MC-30, simply because each has a character of it's own. To furthur illustrate this, the ST-70 has had at least 3 generations/versions, and even these have different characters. See the below link for info on the different versions of the ST-70.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/dynaco2e.html

Your other questions are even easier to answer.

Q - So, are these amps (here comes the novice type ?'s):  push pull.

A - Yes

Q - They are not SET's, correct.?

A - Yes they are not set

Q - Will they power the Khorns to adeq loudness. 

A - of course. with 1..3 volt input, this version of the ST-70 can produce 35 watts per channel. In a K-horn, assuming you don't use dampening resistors across the xformer output taps, you should expect this amp to drive your k-horns to 105 DB's

Q - So, any ideas,

A - This is a good deal for a tube amp. It has been thru the modernazation process which means new tubes, non-aged capacitors, and recently serviced. Worse case, you will need to learn how to adjust the bais.

OK THEN...

MY WIFE IS STANDING NEXT TO ME RIGHT NOW: AND SHE QUOTES:

GOOD PRICE, THAT'S WHAT A COUPLE OF CUTE OUTFITS COST, AND IF THEY SOUND LIKE CR@P, THEN YOU CAN JUST SELL THEM...

MAN, DID MARRY REALLY WELL OR WHAT? SHE'S ALSO REALLY HOT, BRILLIANT, SEXXY, SMART, CUTE, NICE, AND HAS MASSIVE AMTS OF WAF TOLERANCE... LIFE IS GOOD.

SO, LET ME KNOW HOW I NEED TO PAY YOU.

THANKS, PAUL

Email and payment sent.

Thanks once again, can't wait for them to get here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Paul

Paul,

In this thread, it sounds like you may think you're getting a PAIR of amps. You know it's a single STEREO amp, right? Look out, your son is gonna want tubes, now...

Paul,

Congrats on the amp and great wife.

I've got a pair of Mark III's built by the same guy, Autospec. He is a prince of a guy and dearly loves his amp building. These are frame up rebuilds and really are as new. In some cases, better than new, considering the way he adds some nice cosmetic touches and utilitarian improvements. All of the connections are moved to the back of the chassis and he puts a machined face plate on the front with a cool blue LED power indicator.

What kind of preamp are you expecting to use with the ST-70?

Email and payment sent.

Thanks once again, can't wait for them to get here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Paul

Paul,

In this thread, it sounds like you may think you're getting a PAIR of

amps. You know it's a single STEREO amp, right? Look out, your son is

gonna want tubes, now...

I also wondered about the THEM,part of the reply.

Larry

Yes, I understand that it is a single stereo amp rather than a set of mono blocks. I just used the wrong terminology....

Not sure which preamp yet...

I recently got a Mac MX 134 pre pro for the HT end of things. It has the equiv of a newer Mac SS for the stereo outputs. Will use that for now.

Latter, when more mullah grows on the ole money tree, I want to get a tube preamp with:

remote control

phono stage

several inputs

HT bypass

And not cost a ton.

Haven't even found what all will fit that bill yet. I like the idea of vintage pre, but no remote. also no ht bypass. Something like a Blueberry / Peach Sorbet with Remote is my dream. Peach has HT bypass, Blueberry has phono, both are supposed to be coming with remote soon... I suppose a Peach with an external phono pre could work? But more money for one more component...

Any good ideas?

Paul

Paul,

Yeh, you could add a phono stage to a Peach, but of course best bang for the buck phono stage is a BlueBerry. I couldn't offer a better suggestion than what you've already got in mind. Also, from what users say, you couldn't beat the BB phono stage anyway.

dbflash (Danny) is offering a Peach for sale on the forum just now, though.