Sold!!! a Custom Dynaco ST-70!

Clarence

Hey everybody,

I have hinted toward parting with my Dynaco ST-70 Autospec build tube amp. Well, I finally got the time and equipment to bring it to ya. In traditional Klipsch Forum tradition, I will be offering this beautiful custom creation to my fellow brothers before it goes to other sites and ePay. I prefer local pick up, but I will also be attending Picky's Klipsch bbq later this month.

This beautiful example was built, to my specifications, by AUTOSPEC, a gentelmen known on Audiogon for his custom amps. Actually, a few forum members own these Autospec originals, and many will sing there praises. The build quality is exceptional, with all new PCB, wiring, internal components, etc. The main output tubes are the EL-34 Electrolux, made in Russia. The transformers are spotless, I am not sure but the appear as new to me. All hardware has been upgraded to high quality hex bolts and washers.

The biggest difference you will find between this and a stock ST-70 is the relocation of the gold plated rca inputs to the rear of the unit, and the high quality 5 way speaker terminals. There is a custom plate on the front of the unit, with a bright blue led power light and power switch. This amp has been designed with end user functionality in mind, and it performes flawlessly. It also comes with a high quality insulated power cord, with a ground. This is a major step up from the original ST-70. It also has a hidden "ground lift" switch in the rear between the transformers.

I am sure that there will be additional comments on the build of this amp. Also available is a white SB3 wireless squeezebox music server. This was my first foray into the world of 2 channel audio, and makes a great combination. I found that I preferr SS equipment, and purchased NAD seperated a few weeks ago. This particular amp is currently being stored in climate and humidity controlled environment. There are NO flaws or issues with this amp, it is in NEW condition. I ran it with no issues for around 20 hours. All tubes are gaurunteed to be in tested OS condition. There are no hums, the amp is dead quite at idle.

Please feel free to ask any questions, I can be reached at blingfast@hotmail.com with any. I paid $600 plus shipping for this beauty, and I am looking for $550 for this AS NEW Dynaco ST-70. Check around, you can pay $700 for a new kit, and end up with an original ST-70 with its inherent design "flaws".

Thanks folks!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clarence

Wow, half an hour and still up for grabs, I am surprised this lasted half an hour.

What's the gain on this amp? How many MV's for full output?

Clarence Wow, half an hour and still up for grabs, I am surprised this lasted half an hour. What's the gain on this amp? How many MV's for full output?

I emailed the builder for those specs. I also wanted to mention that he "tested" the amp for 80 hours before shipping to me.

Thanks for your intrest!

Is there any chance we could a random daily photo of that amp in various posses until you sell it. That would be hot. You know make it exciting and surprise us. Perhaps a shot from a above, you know just a tease, keep it sexy. Then another out in public, in something revealing, but too much so, you know keep it real.

good question, probably better fielded by somebody who has heard both. I have heard both the st-70 and a set of Craigs VRD's. Similar in sound, but his have another level of kick and and punch. The tube sound is similar in both, especially with horns. Tubes preffer high quality tables and a clean source recording(lp). I find myself listening to music lately that begs for punchy, clean ss power, and lots of it.

I'm sure there is somebody here that has heard the st-70 and mcintosh gear with klipsch.

Thats a little less than half a watt, I think an IPOD can push that. Let me check into it.

edit:

The maximum distortion-free output level from an IPOD into 100k ohms is 911mV at 1kHz

I'm assuming the St-70 main input is 10K since phono inputs are normally 100k.

means it will work, worse case, the IPOD will only drive the ST-70 clone to 27 watts per channel.

Do you have pic's of the under carriage with the cover off?