Consecutive Serial Numbers

Big Piney

As soon as I get my Sub woofer on board I will be in the market for another set of Heritage speakers. My question pertains to the issue of serial numbers. Consecutive or not. Does it matter? Some of the heritage sp I see on E-bay and other sites have consecutive numbers (most probably) but there are some that are not. Should I be concerned? Would you eliminate a pair of speakers if they were not consecutive? Oh, if it matters, the speaker would in all likelihood be the Heresy line. Unless I could find a good deal on LaScala's. Thanks for any clarity on this.

• Moderators

All I can tell you is from what I have read on learned on this site. They would try and match the wood on matching numbers. So it will not matter all that much if the speakers match up cosmetically to your satisfaction. Of course this assumes you are talking the same year speaker with the same components, outside of that it is a cosmetics thing.

Travis

• Moderators

Well,

As an example, like your avtar, oh never mind. We would have to ask someone like HDRBuilder who used to make em for Klipsch, and you can search for the thread where he discussed this. But he said, as I recall, that SN's that were close in number would use same veneer, and that ones that were 1 apart were matched. As far as 124 matching 125 or 123, they were sold in pairs from the factory to be matched so you did not really need to worry about that aspect of it. The big question which I don't know was ever discussed is why someone would ever end up with unmatched serial numbers, or why a dealer would receive an unmatched set.

Travis

I bought new heresy's in '78, still have them. I bought them at a Klipsch dealer audio store in a small town in Oregon. When we made the deal, I paid and we went into the back room to get them. They had about 10 or so, we just grabbed the first two HD-BRs. Nobody cared about consecutive serial numbers, or even realized they were there. Mine are not quite consecutive, a few numbers apart. Most Klipschorns were ordered, so they mostly came in matched pairs. Top and bottom cabs have their own serial numbers in the olden days. IMHO, this deal is way over-wrought, used as a marketing tool. Don't forget Khorns were started in the 40's, stereo didn't really get started until the early 60's. there's 10 - 12 years or so of singleton sales. My '60 Khorns are a few numbers apart, I don't care.

Sometimes the unmatched serial numbers are facts that the cabinets failed during the acoustic testing, or something simple like the staining went wrong. I remember Trey Cannon stating that the RF-7 (non heritage) if one spec got on the front baffle (painted black) that they would have to sand down and repaint which took a few hours, in which the paint could crack etc. Now they just have a plastic baffle (rf-83, which I personally don't mind the looks of)

Also my RF-83 are mismatched by 2 #'s oh well....

most dealers I dealt with in the "good old days" tried to give you consecutive serial numbers...sometimes they were sold around here just whatever the sales person grabbed...and sometimes you couldn't get them that way because perhaps a speaker was pulled from the line as a failure...I have a consecutive pair of H-BR that had a replacement tweeter prior to it leaving Hope (big purple "R" on the magnet) so you never know...they should all sound similar and the veneer would be similar on close or consecutive speakers...

Bill

It could still be a manufacturing error seeing as the fact that Hope still makes some of the speakers from hand and all. I believe many of the cuts are cnc routed but there are hand cuts which are prone to not so perfect cuts. But that is just the name of the game.

I rather have human hands crafting my speaker then some robotic assembly plant in god knows where country.

I like (very much) the idea of having the woodgrain match on my speakers, just as I want the drivers, crossovers, and finish to match, too. The finish and woodgrain don't affect the sound at all, but it's a definite plus to have a matched set in every sense of the word. Not only do the woodgrain patterns match, but the veneers on corresponding sides take the stain the exact same depth and color since they came from the same part of the same tree. Many people don't care, though.

By the way, I have 3 woodgrain, etc. matched sets of Heritage speakers with the woodgrain patters matching exactly on all sides, and on each pair the serial number on the first speaker ends with an even number and the serial number on the second ends with an odd number, e.g., 45Y456 and 45Y457. That numbering pattern probably isn't a concidence.