Upgrading from Reference 3 to Reference 7

darrylp

I'm in the process of upgrading from RF-3s and a RC-3 to RF-7s and a RC-7.

I'd like to retain my 4 x RS-3s which I'm currently using for surrounds and backs.

Any opinions on whether theyll sound OK or other advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Regards

Darryl

RS-5s? There are no RS-5s. Only RS-3s and RS-7s.

------------------

Home Theater (getting soon):

TV: (Still deciding)

DVD player: (Still deciding)

VCR: Sony SLV-ED100 (HiFi VCR)

Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (230V version of Denon AVR-4802)

Speakers -

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Thanks for the comments and help.

I've set the fronts to large and the centre surrounds and backs to small and the system sounds pretty good (Denon 5800).

I only use the setup for HT (never for music) and I dont listen to sound for the sake of sound or for gimmickry. I watch movies etc and appreciate having great sound with the correct balances and cinema effects hence I'm a great follower of the THX recommendations.

I'm amazed when I hear of people buying and watching junk horror DVDs just because they're recorded in a new or novel sound format.

Regards

Darryl

As I think you now know, you will be fine using 2 pair of RS-3's as rear surrounds with your RF-7's and RC-7. In fact, that is what I have set-up in my main theater at home right now. I actually have a pair of RS-7's down there too, I just haven't had a chance to swap out the rears yet. The advantage of the RS-7's in the rear would be greater output capability to keep up with your LCR's plus the fact that the RS-7's a better and deeper bass response than the RS-3's. In your situation, it would be like going from really good to great. You're OK either way!

Jim

Thanks Jim

What Ive done already is to boost the surrounds' and backs' levels to compensate for the difference in output

What I'm now thinking of doing too is to set the amplifier to treat the RS-3s as large speakers and hopefully lower frequencies and more bass (I'm using a Velodyne HGS 15 sub).

What's your opinion please?

Regards

Darryl

I've not worked it out yet but, the costs of shipping it from here to you will be prohibitive.

Also be aware Australian prices are preposterously high in comparison with USA prices.

As an example the RRP on a pair of RF-7 is US$3000 and I was able to get them for the equivalent of US$2,700!

Klipsch dont have wide distribution in this country.

Regards

Darryl

the fixed THX standard crossover using big non-thx speakers rears it head again. cwm4.gif

especially w/ a nice quality sub, if u use the sub preout line level connection, & unless of course u have

an adjustable crossover in your preamp, it should sound best (bass qualitywise) setting all to small (even the rf-7 or 3). point is, it's not that those speaks can't

do the low bass, it's the way the preamp/receivers are configured (basically for smaller thx style sat speaks).

best to try it out using various large vs. small settings. beware though, more bass doesn't always mean

better bass Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

I tried the movie SE7EN in DTS ES Discrete in all speaker configurations i.e. varying large and small for fronts and centre, and the dialogue definitely is clearer and sharper with the speakers set to small.

My Denon 5800 has the sub preout line level connection crossover fixed and set at 80 Hz (there's an upgrade coming which will allow this to be varied).

Ive got the Velodyne crossover switched out of the system.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Regards

Darryl

cwm16.gif